19 under bed exterior hatch size - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2015, 04:26 PM   #21
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I think the reason ETI moved the awning forward was to allow the door to clear the front awning arm and open fully. Otherwise it only opens about half way and would need to be bunged to the arm. I may be wrong (and it won't be the first time!) Or maybe the awning is now a different length?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 04:37 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I think the reason ETI moved the awning forward was to allow the door to clear the front awning arm and open fully. Otherwise it only opens about half way and would need to be bunged to the arm. I may be wrong (and it won't be the first time!) Or maybe the awning is now a different length?
Yeppers, that is why, and this is the one negative of having it back like ours. This is not a big deal for us, as we have learned we much prefer the awning legs swung out, if at all possible. It is much easier to move around the trailer, without the arms in the path of travel at both ends. I put spikes in the arm feet to hold them stable and in place. These spikes also perfectly hold two of the corners of our patio mat taut too.

And yes, if we must keep the feet attached to the trailer, we do need a bungee to hold the door open, if we need to.

Still, for us but maybe not others, the positives outweigh any negatives.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 05:11 PM   #23

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
The photo of the 19 on the ETI website is of the first version. About a 12" increased awning length would reach the leading edge of the dinette window. The mounting point would be as it now is on the front and the mounting point for the rear would be as it was in the first versions. This would allow for a bigger hatch and a fully open door. I wonder would the awning installed on the 21 fit?
Old 03-14-2015, 05:11 PM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Yeppers, that is why, and this is the one negative of having it back like ours. This is not a big deal for us, as we have learned we much prefer the awning legs swung out, if at all possible. It is much easier to move around the trailer, without the arms in the path of travel at both ends. I put spikes in the arm feet to hold them stable and in place. These spikes also perfectly hold two of the corners of our patio mat taut too.

And yes, if we must keep the feet attached to the trailer, we do need a bungee to hold the door open, if we need to.

Still, for us but maybe not others, the positives outweigh any negatives.
That's why I often say "different stokes, for different folks"! While we may all have an ETI build, it all about needs. Glad your build is working well for you Jim, truly.

When Ten Forward was in the build stage, I thought having that rear awning arm in the window would drive me nutz. When closed, that arm would be right there in the window. I've found out, it's not an issue. But then again, I decided to not get that rear hatch of any size. Okay, I'm visual and didn't like how it looked on the patio side. Can't help it, that's me. I don't mind needing to grab what I need from the inside of the trailer. That hatch area is used for stuff I don't typically need... like the tool box. Works for me, your decision works for you... SCORE!
Old 03-14-2015, 06:41 PM   #25

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
So true, Donna. Life would be boring if we all liked things done the same way. It is so great we get the opportunity to do our builds to suit, and then check out the great mods and other ideas bring to the forum.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 08:13 PM   #26

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
You know, Leonard, after looking at the pic of Ron's 19 and its hatch, it occurs to me that if you were to have the factory move the exterior AC outlet forward to on top of the rear wheel well during the build, you would have significantly more room for a bigger hatch.

Bruce
Bruce Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 08:36 PM   #27
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
So true, Donna. Life would be boring if we all liked things done the same way. It is so great we get the opportunity to do our builds to suit, and then check out the great mods and other ideas bring to the forum.
I think that's why I like the "It's Friday" thread so much. So similar, but so different!
Old 03-14-2015, 09:34 PM   #28

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Wray View Post
You know, Leonard, after looking at the pic of Ron's 19 and its hatch, it occurs to me that if you were to have the factory move the exterior AC outlet forward to on top of the rear wheel well during the build, you would have significantly more room for a bigger hatch.

Bruce
You're correct. But I don't think that the outlet is in exactly the same position as Jim's original location. When I quoted the most possible forward amount of length you could obtain it was to the edge of the outlet. The wheel arch is the limiting factor in how far forward a hatch can extend.

The outlet isn't the problem. The problem would be if you moved the outlet forward the new larger hatch, which could be 25" without moving the awning support, wouldn't cover half of the hole left from the outlet. Not a big deal, but more work than Jim had to do. Too bad, in this case bigger certainly is better.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 12:15 PM   #29

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
You're right about the outlet position, Ron -- looks like newer 19s like yours have the outlet forward of where they were installed in our earlier 19s. That's why I made the suggestion that that the outlet be moved as far forward as possible during the build for a new 19, so there wouldn't be a "half-a-hole" problem installing a bigger hatch. A 25"x10" hatch would be a big improvement.

Bruce
Bruce Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 12:29 PM   #30

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Ah, missed the "during the build". Yep, for a new build it would worth asking for. For me, not being able to get the same large hatch Jim has and only a marginally larger hatch with more work, probably not something I'm going to do. But, never say never.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote