19 under bed exterior hatch size - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2015, 03:40 PM   #1

Trailer: not yet
19 under bed exterior hatch size

Anyone know what the largest exterior hatch, for the area under rear bed, that can go on a new 19?

I saw someone mention that the latest location of the awning brackets interferes with it getting a larger hatch. Just want to know specifics, if possible.
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 06:14 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
I installed a bigger hatch (10x30") in my '09 19, and think it's one of the very best things I've done to it. No way you'll get my size on the newer 19s; you may have to locate one near you (there are several), measure the space available, and then talk it over with the hatch mfg. co. You'd also probably have to cut to relocate the exterior 120v outlet. I bet you can significantly improve on the wimpy 9x16" hatch, though.

If you can figure out the size you need, it may be possible to have the mfg. co. send it to the factory and be installed during the build. However, Reace saw mine at Bandon several years ago, and didn't like the way it looked; he thought it appeared disproportionate. I don't. ;>)

Bruce
Bruce Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 06:35 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Do you have any pictures Bruce?

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 06:58 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I believe the hatch presently installed by the factory is the largest allowed since ETI moved the awning bracket awhile back.
Old 03-13-2015, 07:41 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonardS View Post
I saw someone mention that the latest location of the awning brackets interferes with it getting a larger hatch. Just want to know specifics, if possible.
Yes, not too long after the first 19's came out in 2009, did the awning move, not allowing a larger hatch.

I know since I did mine, that I sent the build sheet from Vision Manufacturing to Bruce and Cathy (who is selling her 19 right now).

It is an absolutely fantastic feature. I now store stuff in stacked clear Rubbermaid containers, and everything is nice and accessible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Wray View Post
However, Reace saw mine at Bandon several years ago, and didn't like the way it looked; he thought it appeared disproportionate. I don't. ;>)
When he first saw me after doing it, he never mentioned anything about appearance, just said "Way to go" with a roll of his eyes. I guess that lots of people were asking for it, but by this time he could not accommodate them, and had to say no.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
Do you have any pictures Bruce?
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...-19-a-812.html
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 09:34 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
At first I was tempted to respond and say the current hatch works just fine for us. But looking at your larger hatch I can see that it'd be a lot more usable for some items. I've managed to put my head and shoulders in to do work as an alternative to hoisting up the heavy mattress to get access to the hatch under it. But being able to have much more access from the side would be really handy.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 10:10 PM   #7

It's not just that it is better to get some things in, it just makes everything more accessible, without moving the stuff in front around. It also lets in a lot more light.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-13-2015, 11:10 PM   #8

I guess at this point I'd need to see a picture of the current hatch-awning placement to see if there's any chance of a bigger hatch.
Old 03-14-2015, 06:36 AM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Whether you can use a larger hatch has some to do with where the rear arm is attached for the awning and whether or not you have a u-shape dinette with dual 6v batteries. The batteries in Ten Forward are on the rear passenger side. A larger hatch wouldn't do me any good as a section of the hatch would be blocked by the battery box. And, the awning arm.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 01:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonardS View Post
I guess at this point I'd need to see a picture of the current hatch-awning placement to see if there's any chance of a bigger hatch.
After seeing Jim's photos I thought the larger hatch would be worth doing so I did take a closer look at the area both to answer your original question and to see if a larger hatch on mine was feasible.

OK, mine being a 2014 it has the current smaller hatch. Distance from the aft edge of hatch frame to awning bracket is 2", hatch is 19" and the distance to the edge of the electrical outlet is 2 1/2".

So the widest hatch I could install would be about 23 1/2".

The whole awning assembly could move aft 1 1/2" without the door hitting it when fully open. If a person could convince ETI to move the whole awning assembly aft an 1 1/2" then the maximum width of a hatch would be about 25".

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0232.jpg  
Old 03-14-2015, 01:59 PM   #11

Do not forget you also have upper support attachment locations to consider.
Old 03-14-2015, 02:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Do not forget you also have upper support attachment locations to consider.
Well, as you can see in the photo, the cover is on, but I was aware of that and did pull the cover aside as best I could and didn't see any reason why the awning couldn't move aft 1 1/2". Maybe someone with no cover can confirm that.

Ron
Old 03-14-2015, 02:05 PM   #13
Site Team

I think Jim was reminding you the supports on the inside of the trailer that the awning is attached to.
Old 03-14-2015, 02:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I think Jim was reminding you the supports on the inside of the trailer that the awning is attached to.
There's nothing detectable in either of the overhead storage areas that would prevent the awning from moving aft.

Ron
Old 03-14-2015, 02:21 PM   #15
Site Team

Ron, blocks are fiberglass to the inside that the cabinetry and awning are mounted to. Perhaps the overhead cabinet is also mounted to that block on the inside and that's why you can't see it or feel it? The concern is if you try to move the awning back, you'll miss that block.
Old 03-14-2015, 02:56 PM   #16

Thumbs up

Correct Donna, that is exactly what I was inferring...thanks for clarifying....
Old 03-14-2015, 03:01 PM   #17
Site Team

Someone with build pictures that owns a 19' (before any interior added) may be able clarify by posting a good picture of the dinette area... or, just contact ETI and ask.
Old 03-14-2015, 03:21 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
After seeing Jim's photos I thought the larger hatch would be worth doing so I did take a closer look at the area both to answer your original question and to see if a larger hatch on mine was feasible.

OK, mine being a 2014 it has the current smaller hatch. Distance from the aft edge of hatch frame to awning bracket is 2", hatch is 19" and the distance to the edge of the electrical outlet is 2 1/2".

So the widest hatch I could install would be about 23 1/2".

The whole awning assembly could move aft 1 1/2" without the door hitting it when fully open. If a person could convince ETI to move the whole awning assembly aft an 1 1/2" then the maximum width of a hatch would be about 25".

Ron

Ron,

Thanks so much! This was just the info we were looking for.

Likely we wouldn't be asking ETI to be moving anything, just wanted to know how big we could go with the hatch on the 19ft model.
Old 03-14-2015, 03:27 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
The concern is if you try to move the awning back, you'll miss that block.
I have no intention of moving my awning back. That's why I gave two scenerios; one, the largest hatch that I could retro-fit without moving the awning and two, the largest hatch that could be fitted if ETI were to move the awning back as part of the build. Presumabably they'd still be able to support it the same way. There aren't impediments on the interior to prevent that.

Ron
Old 03-14-2015, 04:07 PM   #20

If I was buying another 19, and had a choice, I would put the awning to the rear, just like mine is for a couple reasons. The first being the possibility for the huge hatch, which we so appreciate having. The second is so that there is more room to the left of the door for a big picnic table, without blocking in front of the door itself. The one we use at our land, is 8' long. This is great for gathering when it is raining. When the sun is shining, the table scoots out in its glory.

With the awning moved further ahead as it is, either the table would block the door to stay underneath, or part of the table would have to be outside the awning, causing splatter.

I don't seem to have much for photos of my trailer, especially one with a table under the awning. Here is one of my wife, SIL, and niece from under the awning myself.

Oh yeah, there is this one of my project trailer, where you can see my 19 in the background, and the table under the awning.