19' Under-bed storage - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2012, 06:18 PM   #1

19' Under-bed storage

If you have a 19' trailer you know there is a lot of room under the rear bed. The problem I found was accessing anything we put in there. The solution, at least for me, was a large drawer. It measures 11" deep by 23" wide and 48" long. I used 1/2" Baltic Birch for the box and 48" full-extension drawer-slides from Lee Valley. The drawer box is assembled using a rebate and dado joint and the bottom is fully housed in a groove on all 4 sides. The drawer-slides are very expensive but in the end I think they are well worth the money. I purchased a number of Tupperware containers that fit into one side perfectly. So I know what is in each bin I cut rectangles of clear mac-tac, stuck them to the lid and used a sharpie to indentify the contents. If the contents change I'll peel off the mac-tac and stick a new piece on.
The right side of the drawer is more than long enough to hold the optional bunk bed tubing as well as extra papertowels and umbrellas. While I was installing the drawer I also added 1/4" MDF pieces that run front to rear on both sides and help support the mattress above. These pieces also seperate the storage area from the drawer on the door side which allowed me to have a secure spot for the axe I bring along. The other side ensures the power cable won't get caught in the drawer.
The drawer-slides securely lock in the closed or open position. To release the drawer I attached a piece of oak solid across the front that pushes down on the 2 levers that release the drawer.

Overall, it's an excellent addition to a great trailer.

Cheers,

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1033.JPG   IMG_1034.JPG  

2012 Escape 19'
2013 F350 crewcab 4x4
Paul S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:12 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Re: 19' Under-bed storage

Very impressive, Paul! You could go into business with that.

We were looking at that space and thinking we need a pole with a hook to get items on the other side from the hatch. Want to put much of what is now in the front box back there. The batteries must be most of the 100-lb. Capacity of the box.

Your drawer will beat the heck out of what we do, I'm sure. Really nice job that obviously took a lot of doing.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:41 PM   #3

Thanks!!! It wasn't too painful. Making the drawer at work was easy as was attaching the drawer-slides to the plywood L's that are screwed to the floor. The spacing between the plywood L's has to be quite accurate or the drawer-slides will bind. The most difficult part was attaching the drawer to the slides. These large slides do not come apart like small full-extension ones do so driving the screws in from the side to attach the slide was a challenge due to the lack of space.

Cheers,

Paul S.

2012 Escape 19'
2013 F350 crewcab 4x4
Old 04-25-2012, 02:40 PM   #4

Wow.. looks like it right out of the Escape factory! Great job and excellent workmanship..

favorite quote: "Put the candle back"
JeffZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:21 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

That looks great Paul. What would you estimate the weight at?

I was planning something similar, a roll-out tray and just use baskets on it, but sides might be nice. I have a few sheets of 1/2" BB in my shop at all times.

I put a roll-out under the counter to hold our pots and pans. It works great.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:10 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

If you don't care how it looks, I got "underbed" plastic boxes with small wheels on one end at London Drugs. I'm sure you can find them anywhere. They are about 18 inches wide and about three feet long or so and maybe 8 inches deep, with a lid. Cheap.

Never figured out how to put a parking brake on them.

baglo
Old 04-25-2012, 09:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett
That looks great Paul. What would you estimate the weight at?

I was planning something similar, a roll-out tray and just use baskets on it, but sides might be nice. I have a few sheets of 1/2" BB in my shop at all times.

I put a roll-out under the counter to hold our pots and pans. It works great.
I would guess the total weight at 50lbs with about half being the slides.

2012 Escape 19'
2013 F350 crewcab 4x4
Old 04-25-2012, 09:41 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150

Since I leave the bed made up permanently in my 17B, I removed the hardware for the table set up & keep two laundry baskets + my toaster oven stored under the bed. I added a set of 4 heavy duty cup hooks & a nylon cargo net from one of my older Town & Country van to keep everything in place during hard stops. Although the drawer is a far better solution, the laundry baskets are my simple approach.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:23 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Paul,

What size drawer slides did you use?

Thanks Jim
jlgrillot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:49 AM   #10

I am guessing THESE are the ones he used.

I am still planning to do something along this line, but I would not go so deep, maybe 36". This would allow longer things, like my table and chairs, to go in behind from the outside access.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-11-2012, 11:10 AM   #11

I used the 48" ones that are shown in the link that Jim provided.

Cheers

2012 Escape 19'
2013 F350 crewcab 4x4
Old 11-11-2012, 12:08 PM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Beautiful craftsmanship, Paul!
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:05 PM   #13

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I am guessing THESE are the ones he used.

I am still planning to do something along this line, but I would not go so deep, maybe 36". This would allow longer things, like my table and chairs, to go in behind from the outside access.
Jim and Paul,

Thanks for the information. I agree the 36" depth may be a good compromise. I'm on the short side and 48" is a long reach for me.

Jim
jlgrillot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:28 PM   #14

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
2 drawer variation

I really liked Paul's idea, but wanted to be able to stand in the aisle next to the open drawer, so I opted for (2) 36-inch drawers with slides from the same hardware outlet. I purchased (4) plastic tubs from our nearby Lowes and then built the drawer boxes for a snug fit. The little tubs are great to carry into the house to load and unload for a trip.

I also added back, and side walls to the under-bed area so the remaining exterior access storage did not migrate into, and jam the drawers. The 36-drawer depth also allows for longer items to be stored across the back of the area (e.g. laundry drying rack).

Works great for us . . . .

Bret
Attached Thumbnails
Escape 001.jpg   Escape 002.jpg   Escape 003.jpg   Escape 005.jpg  
Old 11-11-2012, 09:11 PM   #15

Very nice, Bret.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:20 PM   #16

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
And, clever, with the portable plastic inserts.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:49 AM   #17

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
I have also been contemplating adding a large drawer in my 19'. Like Jim, I would not go full depth as I would like to keep space to put longer items through the exterior hatch (chairs, tables, bunk poles, exterior mat). What is troubling me a little bit is whether I can live with the loss in storage height that would result from any sliding tray/drawer system. Right now we have a couple of large plastic bins that we had bought that are exactly the right height to fit under the bed. With a tray or drawer underneath, the bins would no longer fit through the opening and we would either have to look for some new bins, or just store things directly in the drawer. I will ponder some more and maybe do this as a winter project.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:21 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
I have also been contemplating adding a large drawer in my 19'. Like Jim, I would not go full depth as I would like to keep space to put longer items through the exterior hatch (chairs, tables, bunk poles, exterior mat). What is troubling me a little bit is whether I can live with the loss in storage height that would result from any sliding tray/drawer system. Right now we have a couple of large plastic bins that we had bought that are exactly the right height to fit under the bed. With a tray or drawer underneath, the bins would no longer fit through the opening and we would either have to look for some new bins, or just store things directly in the drawer. I will ponder some more and maybe do this as a winter project.
Hey,

If you have any clearance at all say about 1 inch you can mount the sliders(I picked up Heavy Duty Ones) they are rated by weight then using alum 1" or 2" L angle ( Bottom L Down and facing in to each other) mounted to the sliders themselves. Then use a piece of 1/2" hardwood plywood to span the bottom of the L's. Cut the plywood so the piece your dropping in has the grain running perpendicular to the slides. Attach the plywood to the bottom L angle using countersunk screws. Use another piece of the 1 inch L angle leg up across the edge opposite the interior access doors. It will double as a lip to prevent the bins from sliding off the end and as a stiffener. If you like get a piece of 3/8's L angle and put it on the front edge L down it will also stiffen the board more and prevent the edge from getting worn etc. Alum L angle is sold in most hardware stores in up to 6 foot sections and can be either hacksawed or cut on a table saw with a plywood blade. Because of the moisture you might get from the side access door a good coat of some sealer should be applied to the plywood. Perhaps the better wood workers here could tell you which stain matches best to the wood used in the trailer. As long as you have about an inch of vertical clearance your only problem would be your horizontal clearance. When you mount the sliders to the floor BE CAREFUL with screw length. I do wood work but nothing like some here can so I go with what I know metal :} But using some metal and some wood you don't have to loose so much space and you still get strength. I have seen several of the setups here and they look great but you do loose inches do to wood thickness etc. If you need I can go dummy up what I am saying and take a picture for you.

Cypher
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:34 AM   #19

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Cypher,

Just ran across your post and if possible, I would very much appreciate seeing some photos of your setup. I am the poster child for those "Dummies" books.

- Rich
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:33 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Cypher,

Just ran across your post and if possible, I would very much appreciate seeing some photos of your setup. I am the poster child for those "Dummies" books.

- Rich
I will go dummy up what I am talking about Rich, I have not bought the alum side pieces yet and debating a single slide out or a double. The double would allow you to stand in the aisle while you slide one side or the other out might be convenient. Might be a bit maybe today or tomorrow.

Cypherian
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote