2017 21' windows options, panicking - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-03-2017, 04:05 PM   #21

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I had the sliders they were fine I liked them- but I'm happy with the new widow option. I was in a camper with windows like the new ones recently -plenty of air it was very hot that day, nice clean look , no outside rubber to streak, no metal inside for condensation, can open in rain, more opening windows in the new set up.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 04:12 PM   #22

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
That could be debatable because many think the Classic trailers will be the most sought out . I didn't buy this trailer for resale , I bought it because I liked it. We all don't think alike . We all don't expect the same expectations either . Pat
Yes, we love our Classic! Rounded shape, airplane door and more.

Many people may prefer a more modern look, if one can even call it that. Not sure that most people who do not follow Escapes would notice the difference as far as the changes though. But we do.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 04:46 PM   #23

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post

Many people may prefer a more modern look, if one can even call it that. Not sure that most people who do not follow Escapes would notice the difference as far as the changes though. But we do.
Cathy the first item on the trailer that got our attention was the door . Sad to see it go , but then we like old cars too . Why I put some shiny on the trailer also . We use to make beautiful vehicles too, now everything looks the the same . We do know the difference . By the way how you feeling ? Hope getting better . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 04:53 PM   #24

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Quote:
When we ordered our 21 in person at ETI (September 2015), we were given the option to move forward with the 2017 new style.

Would have been interested had the new 2017 design continued with the more rounded body shape complete with curved airplane type door styling. New design clearly did not have those attributes. Yes the wider door would have allowed me to install a bigger electric refrigerator and as Reace pointed out while I was measuring the classic's width at floorline, the new style is a few inches wider at the floor line. He knew I needed to shoehorn big AGM batteries under the counter and fridge cabinet. Was tempting but the more egg like classic look won out.
Old 07-03-2017, 05:07 PM   #25

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
The ability to leave windows open in the rain would be a big plus for me, as would being able to open the rear window. And although our old curved doors look cool, the new flat door probably seals better and it would be easier to replace if necessary.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 05:17 PM   #26

Trailer: None now
So the squatty body trailer owners are picking on breadloaf trailer owners now?
I like the newer windows, When we went through oak pollen and oak flower season this spring I didn't have to keep cleaning the debris out the awning windows. The front one got a little bit in it but it was minor. My previous trailer I had to watch or I ended up with water inside.
I thought we had the oak mast last year but the amount of pollen and the thick layer of oak flowers everywhere hints this year the squirrels will be happy again.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 05:28 PM   #27

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Escape is using awning windows now as standard, right?

Do I understand that Escape no longer will sell the sliders? They appear to only be selling frameless thermal as an option. I had the idea that it was a choice to be made for a short time between sliders and frameless.
My understanding is that standard equipment is still the old single-pane sliders, with dual-pane (thermal) "frameless" / awning windows as an option. So, no, awning windows do not appear to be standard. I could be wrong, as things change. If anyone has purchased recently and went with the standard windows (which means no extra wall/ceiling insulation package), they could confirm or correct this.

The combination which is no longer offered is thermal sliders, as mentioned in the first post. These were the optional windows for the previous body style, and were for a while part of a lower-priced (than frameless) optional package with insulation for the new body style.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCamper View Post
I asked ETI and the old style slider thermal windows aren't available.
The website does not describe the standard windows, only the optional "Frame-less Thermal Windows". Photos on the website of the current design all show frameless/awning windows, but the demonstration model presumably has the very popular insulation and thermal window option.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 06:25 PM   #28

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
So the squatty body trailer owners are picking on breadloaf trailer owners now?
No one is picking on anyone.

One's personal preference is stated here by some just like cat lovers will always state they prefer cats for pets over dogs and dog lovers state they prefer dogs over cats. I don't see this as "picking" on others with different tastes.

Many, me included, appreciate aerodynamics as well smooth flowing exterior lines. Original Escape design had a little of that. The new 2017 style has even less due to pressure to maximize cabin space and features, easier build effort, etc and that is ok.

Had the 2017 new style shown me gone more towards the airstream shape I am certain we would have been very interested regardless of what type of windows or door it had.
Old 07-03-2017, 06:30 PM   #29

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
The ability to leave windows open in the rain would be a big plus for me, as would being able to open the rear window. And although our old curved doors look cool, the new flat door probably seals better and it would be easier to replace if necessary.
plus the new door has the ability to become a storm door in the winter via plexiglass inserts. I have already purchased them and will be installing in the fall. I did this mod on my other non-Escape trailer.
Old 07-03-2017, 06:33 PM   #30

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago View Post

One's personal preference is stated here by some just like cat lovers will always state they prefer cats for pets over dogs and dog lovers state they prefer dogs over cats. I don't see this as "picking" on others with different tastes.

Many, me included, appreciate aerodynamics as well smooth flowing exterior lines. Original Escape design had a little of that. The new 2017 style has even less due to pressure to maximize cabin space and features, easier build effort, etc and that is ok.

Had the 2017 new style shown me gone more towards the airstream shape I am certain we would have been very interested regardless of what type of windows or door it had.
Interesting point of view and I agree, but it would seem that the new 2ndG style appears more aerodynamic with the smooth windows vs the recessed sliders and no awning arms and the awning is recessed into the roof. Anyone have a wind tunnel for testing?
Old 07-03-2017, 07:02 PM   #31

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Yeah, I'm pretty darned sure that was a tongue-in-cheek remark. At least it made me laugh with the descriptions of the old style and the new style. Now I can't "un-see" the old and new Escape forms with their new monikers. ("Un-see"...everybody's new favorite word.)
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 07:33 PM   #32
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Yeah, love the one you're with! I've had three years of pleasure owning Ten Forward TODAY (anniversary date!) and have zero regrets. If the new build would have happened three years ago, I bet I'd be just as happy. For me, it's not what the outside looks like (because neither are UGLY), but the pleasure I have by being inside with my choices of fabric, Formica, etc. and it's the perfect layout for me. So while there are a few differences on the outside between Classic or 2nd Gen and maybe decal color or none... it's the inside where all the noticeable differences occur and those are not defined by Classic or 2nd Gen (ALRIGHT, maybe the refrigerator LOL).
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 07:48 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Yeah, love the one you're with! I've had three years of pleasure owning Ten Forward TODAY (anniversary date!) and have zero regrets.
Three years??!!! I swear, it thought it was just a few months ago when you were anticipating getting your trailer. Damn, time flies! Maybe I misread this.
Old 07-03-2017, 07:51 PM   #34
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Three years??!!! I swear, it thought it was just a few months ago when you were anticipating getting your trailer. Damn, time flies! Maybe I misread this.
Actually is was July 2, 2014. And yeah, time DOES fly
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:00 PM   #35

Regarding the old and new styles: from any distance at all you can't tell them apart.
Attached Thumbnails
escape_row.jpg  
Old 07-03-2017, 08:03 PM   #36

Trailer: None now
There are those that take umbrance to thought of the 2nd gen being a worthy successor to the mighty 1st gen. To which I reply.

People try to put us d-down (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
Just because we get around (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
Things they do look awful c-c-cold (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
I hope I die before I get old (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
This is my generation
This is my generation, baby
Why don't you all f-fade away (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
Don't try to dig what we all s-s-s-say (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
I'm not trying to 'cause a big s-s-sensation (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
I'm just talkin' 'bout my g-g-g-generation (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
My generation
This is my generation, baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Yeah, love the one you're with! I've had three years of pleasure owning Ten Forward TODAY (anniversary date!) and have zero regrets. If the new build would have happened three years ago, I bet I'd be just as happy. For me, it's not what the outside looks like (because neither are UGLY), but the pleasure I have by being inside with my choices of fabric, Formica, etc. and it's the perfect layout for me. So while there are a few differences on the outside between Classic or 2nd Gen and maybe decal color or none... it's the inside where all the noticeable differences occur and those are not defined by Classic or 2nd Gen (ALRIGHT, maybe the refrigerator LOL).
That's for sticking the Stephen Stills song in my head.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:13 PM   #37

My...my...my...my...my...my...my
ge..ge..ge...ner...a...tion
(Quadrophenia echo)

You should read Pete Townshend's autobiography. OMG
Old 07-03-2017, 09:54 PM   #38

Quote:
When we ordered our 21 in person at ETI (September 2015), we were given the option to move forward with the 2017 new style.

Would have been interested had the new 2017 design continued with the more rounded body shape complete with curved airplane type door styling. New design clearly did not have those attributes. Yes the wider door would have allowed me to install a bigger electric refrigerator and as Reace pointed out while I was measuring the classic's width at floorline, the new style is a few inches wider at the floor line. He knew I needed to shoehorn big AGM batteries under the counter and fridge cabinet. Was tempting but the more egg like classic look won out.
Glad you appreciate those attributes also! Good for you for getting the Classic.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:07 PM   #39

I guess you have not been answered since we do not know the answer for sure. Apparently, practically everyone coming on here gets the extra insulation and it comes with awning windows. They get extra insulation for excellent reasons: It works in both hot and cold weather and also helps with noise. It is also difficult to put in later. Buyers on resale want it, too.

Better ask Escape to be sure what you get for windows if no thermal package. Highly recommend thermal though.

See if you can visit some owners with awning windows to have a look for yourself, especially if important to you. Perhaps someone will be going your way on a trip soon. They are also on other trailers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCamper View Post
So our build sheet is due July 12, and somehow I'm just realizing that the windows don't slide open anymore, they just awning up about 6". This has sent me into a bit of a panic, as I'm a "wide open spaces, air and sunshine flowing from one end of the camper to the other" kind of person. I grew up in a pop-up, with essentially both sides being completely open netting during the day. I know I won't get this kind of open, but I'm already kind of sweating thinking about just a little flip up in the windows...

I asked ETI and the old style slider thermal windows aren't available. What windows do you get if you don't get thermal? Is it worth it to even consider not getting thermal just so I can have different windows?

For those who are like me, and know the real struggle of needing more openness and air in your camper, am I going to be seriously disappointed with the awning windows??

(FYI I can't view an Escape before deciding. The closest ones are too far from us in South Louisiana.)

Thank you!
Old 07-03-2017, 10:09 PM   #40

Quote:
Regarding the old and new styles: from any distance at all you can't tell them apart.
Can from the front!