21' Dual Battery Filler - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 02-26-2017, 04:58 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
21' Dual Battery Filler

After trying to fill the batteries on my 21' dual battery setup, I quickly decided that a change was in order.

The battery on the right was fairly easy but the battery on the left was under the bench and difficult to reach.

So, off to Google search to look for a solution. The Flow-Rite system seemed to fit the Escape the best and I ordered it.

Next is the installation:
Attached Thumbnails
Battery Filler 1.jpg   Battery Filler 2.jpg   Battery Filler 3.jpg  
Old 02-26-2017, 05:07 PM   #2

Step 1 was to remove the existing filler caps and install the new ones.

Step 2 is where I have connected the hoses to the filler caps. The hoses that come with the kit are a little long so I had to trim about a 1/2" off each one to fit. Then I cut a piece of the long hose to go between the two batteries then connected the remaining hose to the end connection.

Step 3 - I connected the hand pump, put it a bottle of distilled water, and checked for leaks by pumping it up.

Step 4 was to drill a hole into the top side of the battery enclosure just smaller than the hose, push the hose through the hole, and connect it back to the end connection. I also used the same drill bit to drill a notch in the lid to match.
Attached Thumbnails
Battery Filler 4.jpg   Battery Filler 5.jpg   Battery Filler 6.jpg   Battery Filler 7.jpg  
Old 02-26-2017, 07:33 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Battery photos

Tom, I really appreciate the images you posted. I have no Escape experience and no knowledge of what I have ordered. Seeing the installation of the batteries is very helpful. While I have not chosen the u shaped dinette, I have decided to install my own solar system and the photos give me some idea of the work ahead.
Thanks. Steve
Starbrightsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 08:31 PM   #4

Watering system

Hey! The battery watering system is very nice!
Steve
Old 02-27-2017, 05:50 AM   #5

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
battery box

when drilling through plastic box what kind of sealant did you use ? ETI put some gooey stuff where the cables come into battery box? what is that stuff ?

Why did you need to refill batteries so soon ? Thanks Jim
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 06:15 AM   #6

Kinda liking my maintenance free AGM batteries more and more, as in my 5.0TA that left battery is a bit tougher to get at.

I too am curious about the need for more water already. I topped mine up once a year before this, and rarely added much at all.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 08:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykatz View Post
when drilling through plastic box what kind of sealant did you use ? ETI put some gooey stuff where the cables come into battery box? what is that stuff ?

Why did you need to refill batteries so soon ? Thanks Jim
I spent most of my life as a maintenance/reliability engineer. As such, I never took anything for granted. The batteries didn't need water but they were on my checklist to confirm. When I saw how difficult it was going to be to fill that one battery, I started looking for a solution.

I drilled the hole in the battery box such that the hole was slightly smaller than the water hose. I squeezed the hose through the hole and it was an air tight fit requiring no sealant.

The stuff Escape uses on the other penetrations is electrical duct seal.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Gardner-Ben...t-Seal/4595233
tdf-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 12:52 PM   #8

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Kinda liking my maintenance free AGM batteries more and more, as in my 5.0TA that left battery is a bit tougher to get at.

I too am curious about the need for more water already. I topped mine up once a year before this, and rarely added much at all.
This my experience also. I checked the batteries shortly after pick-up and they were full. I just rechecked, after almost a year and added just a little to each. I followed Baglo's lead and use my wife's favorite turkey blaster. It makes good Thanksgiving Dinner conversation......

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 01:35 PM   #9

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Clark View Post
This my experience also. I checked the batteries shortly after pick-up and they were full. I just rechecked, after almost a year and added just a little to each. I followed Baglo's lead and use my wife's favorite turkey blaster. It makes good Thanksgiving Dinner conversation......
"Say, did you use a little vinegar when you brined the turkey?"
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 02:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
After trying to fill the batteries on my 21' dual battery setup, I quickly decided that a change was in order.

The battery on the right was fairly easy but the battery on the left was under the bench and difficult to reach.

Would it be possible to move/relocate the battery box so it would be easy to do maintenance? It looks like a three inch move would be all it takes.
Old 02-27-2017, 03:23 PM   #11

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
"Say, did you use a little vinegar when you brined the turkey?"
Affirm, a little vinegar can mask any unpleasant odors.

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 07:42 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbrightsteve View Post
Would it be possible to move/relocate the battery box so it would be easy to do maintenance? It looks like a three inch move would be all it takes.
I'm going to check on this in May, either move the box or drill holes in the support top board. The only issue with moving is there is a vent hose that exits the rear behind the spare, that needs to be addressed.
Old 02-28-2019, 07:46 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
The more important issue would be wire length which is why it would be best to have ETI do it during build.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I'm going to check on this in May, either move the box or drill holes in the support top board. The only issue with moving is there is a vent hose that exits the rear behind the spare, that needs to be addressed.
Good idea! Moving the battery over and adding a passenger side access door would create another outside accessible storage area.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:55 PM   #15

Trailer: ?
Another possible issue with moving the heavy batteries towards the center may well be the weight balance of the trailer.

In the 21’ the two single heaviest items are probably the batteries and the refrigerator. They are intentionally, I suspect, placed on opposite sides of the trailer to even the weight distribution.

Reece would be the source for this info. I’m just guessing based on past RV experience.

When weight scales are available that permit weighing each side of the trailer individually, shifting stuff around to maintain a good weight balance side-to-side is suggested.

Today I Used my new-to-me tongue scale on my loaded new-to-me 21’ and shifted stuff around until I was happy with the fore and aft weight distribution. No way to do side-to-side at this point. I’m just conscious of the issue when loading stuff.

Enjoy your travels.

Ed
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 10:47 PM   #16

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbrightsteve View Post
In my 2014 the battery box is shifted to the right as you say, I have no trouble getting to the fillers. Wonder if folks putting in their build sheets could just ask for the move.
Old 10-20-2020, 05:23 PM   #17

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post

So, off to Google search to look for a solution. The Flow-Rite system seemed to fit the Escape the best and I ordered it.

Thanks for this post. Just did an identical mod on my '21. Had I found this earlier, I'd have saved myself a lot of time. I can't believe how inaccessible the second battery is. Unless the box is moved, I think a single point watering system is essential.

On top of everything else, the negative cable nut on that battery was only finger tight (on my three month old trailer).
cityofdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 06:55 PM   #18

Trailer: 2018,5.0 TA
I'm looking into these, Hydrocap | Hydro caps they recombine the hydrogen and oxygen back into water and put it back into the battery.
They don't eliminate watering but it says they extend the watering cycle 4 to 10 times.
From the FAQs
Where are HYDROCAPS used?
Primarily in industrial applications. Battery rooms in industry, communications and grid switching stations.
Power plants, nuclear laboratories and AEC operating facilities and battery-powered vehicles.
Undersea equipment such as commercial or private submarines, battery-powered photographic equipment, and remote control devices.
All other types of lead acid batteries applications for Golf Carts, RV’s and Boat batteries.
Are HYDROCAPS approved by any governmental agencies?
The Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA) accepts HYDROCAPS as an alternate to controlled ventilation.
The U.S. Navy Bureau of Ordinance has utilized them in underwater missiles.
The U.S. Naval Weapons Center incorporates HYDROCAPS in undersea craft.
The Atomic Energy Commission specifies the catalyst cap for stand-by batteries.

I could't find specs as far as size, they look kind of tall so not sure if they will fit under the cover of the battery box. I'm going to give them a call to get some more info price for one.
DanandDaphne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 08:26 PM   #19

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanandDaphne View Post
I'm looking into these, Hydrocap | Hydro caps they recombine the hydrogen and oxygen back into water and put it back into the battery.
They don't eliminate watering but it says they extend the watering cycle 4 to 10 times.
From the FAQs
Where are HYDROCAPS used?
Primarily in industrial applications. Battery rooms in industry, communications and grid switching stations.
Power plants, nuclear laboratories and AEC operating facilities and battery-powered vehicles.
Undersea equipment such as commercial or private submarines, battery-powered photographic equipment, and remote control devices.
All other types of lead acid batteries applications for Golf Carts, RV’s and Boat batteries.
Are HYDROCAPS approved by any governmental agencies?
The Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA) accepts HYDROCAPS as an alternate to controlled ventilation.
The U.S. Navy Bureau of Ordinance has utilized them in underwater missiles.
The U.S. Naval Weapons Center incorporates HYDROCAPS in undersea craft.
The Atomic Energy Commission specifies the catalyst cap for stand-by batteries.

I could't find specs as far as size, they look kind of tall so not sure if they will fit under the cover of the battery box. I'm going to give them a call to get some more info price for one.
I tried the Hydrocaps, and while it is likely they extended the time between needing to add water, the problem I had is they were very difficult to remove to check water levels. I gave up on them and went to the Flow Rite system. An even better solution was my switch to lithium. Solved the watering problem as well as the blaring of the propane detector...
Old 10-20-2020, 08:37 PM   #20

Trailer: 2018,5.0 TA
Were they hard to turn? It looks like they would be easy to get a grip on.

I guess they fit in the battery box, were you able to close the lid completely?
DanandDaphne is offline   Reply With Quote