3rd party battery monitor: prewire and best location? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2016, 05:28 AM   #11

Trailer: 21 on Feb 28, 2017 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The shunt provides a path for all current which has a small and well-known resistance. Flow of current through a resistance causes a voltage difference between the ends of the resistor. The monitor measures the voltage across the shunt, which is proportional to the current flowing, but very small because the resistance is very small.

A shunt designed for only 100 amps (instead of 500 amps) would normally have five times more resistance, so it would produce a voltage (to be read by the monitor) five times higher for the same current than the 500 amp shunt. Since the voltage is very small, it is difficult to measure accurately.

The higher voltage signal provides better accuracy, so using a shunt designed for higher current than necessary reduces accuracy... but at the same time you don't want to try to run higher current through the shunt than it is designed to handle. If you have a large inverter (over a thousand watts) and use it's full capacity, you'll exceed 100 amps from the battery.
Thanks, Brian. You are a fount of information. I am not planning on getting an inverter so the 100 amp shunt should be the right one for my system.

stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 01:14 AM   #12

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape born Dec 28, 2016, Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Hard to say if you can wire in the monitor... don't know you.

But... I did mine and I'm no electrical engineer.

Single 4 wire cable from the batteries to the monitor location of your choice. On the monitor end you need a 4 wire phone plug (RJ11). One conductor goes to a fuse then to the positive battery terminal. Install a shunt close to and inline with the negative battery lead. The other 3 wires go to this shunt.

You can get the cable from Bogart (Trimetric) and send it to ETI if you want, it'll have the end on it already. I just sent ETI a length of 8 conductor LAN cable and put on my own connector on after I got the trailer.

In your case you will need the controller ETI installs for control purposes, it's what outputs the correct voltages to charge the battery/s. The monitor will do nothing except show you an ACCURATE status of the charge.

In my case I do not use an ETI installed controller, I use Bogarts. The monitor is my user interface for their controller. Same monitor, just does more in my case. If you go with the Trimetric you'll see a lot of functions that do nothing, that's why.

For some the Trimetric provides too much info. Guess it depends on how much you want to know.

I had the cable run from the batteries to the upper right hand cabinet just inside the entry door. Don't even know if there is a cabinet there in the 21.
Aha. Tons of good info. And I understand this more, now.

(You) Single 4 wire cable from the batteries to the monitor location of your choice. On the monitor end you need a 4 wire phone plug (RJ11). One conductor goes to a fuse then to the positive battery terminal. Install a shunt close to and inline with the negative battery lead. The other 3 wires go to this shunt.

You can get the cable from Bogart (Trimetric) and send it to ETI if you want, it'll have the end on it already.

Cool. I should buy the cable long enough to go from passenger bench (where dual 6v will be) all the way to above fridge area. I guess. Is that where other monitors are on 21'?

I forget.

We will be getting dual 6v plus all plug inverter.
Anyone know what shunt is best in that situation?

Thanks.

Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 05:17 AM   #13

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
My mistake, you don't need the RJ11 on the end, just a 4 conductor cable run from the battery location to where ever you want the monitor. The wires have screw connectors on the monitor end (the RJ11 is for the controller to monitor connection if you were to use Bogart's controller). I used a length of 8 conductor lan cable that I had around the house for this function, I just use 4 of the conductors. Pretty much any 4 wire (or more) twisted pair will do.

If you are thinking of putting the monitor over the fridge you may need access to that spot. Meaning you may have to pull the fridge so you can thread the cable that ETI will leave tucked in there somewhere, through a hole you drill for the meter. The meter just surface mounts via a couple little screws.

I had them run the cable from the batteries, to the inside of the upper cabinet right at the doorway. Open the cabinet, there was the end of the cable.

Above the fridge may be a better spot but it complicates the install. You know your capabilities.

Here's a link to the install manual on the Trimetric, at the end is a wiring diagram. http://www.bogartengineering.com/wp-...structions.pdf
Old 08-19-2016, 10:06 AM   #14

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
FYI
If you need items shipped to Escape it maybe easier to purchase them in Canada and have them shipped. I ordered the Trimetric wiring harness and shunt from Solar Panels Canada | Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverters | Surrette Solar Deep Cycle Batteries | Solar Panel MPPT Controllers | Complete Off-Grid | Grid-Tie| Solar Electric Systems | Vancouver Island BC Canada on Vancouver Island for shipment to Escape. I needed a credit card but it was never charged. It seems Escape has a relationship with WeGo and the costs were added to my invoice at pickup. I thought a very easy process and eliminated all the customs and duty issues.

fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote