4.3 frig high vent fan - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2015, 02:42 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape
4.3 frig high vent fan

If you own a trailer with the 4.3 frig, have added a fan at the top of the vent and are satisfied with it, please share the fan model number and source.
Thank you, Bob
Old 07-20-2015, 03:07 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
This is what I installed. Comes with everything you need. For what its worth I never run it. I have found the Dometic Fan wired so I can control it (I only have one) on the back of the 4.3 fridge is all I need.

Amazon.com: Valterra A10-2618VP FridgeCool 12 Volt Exhaust Fan: Automotive
Old 07-20-2015, 05:03 PM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
I too have one, but I didn't bother installing it. As Tom said, the Dometic fan is sufficient (and I'm lucky enough to have two on my unit which I can now control).
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 05:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
I too have one, but I didn't bother installing it. As Tom said, the Dometic fan is sufficient (and I'm lucky enough to have two on my unit which I can now control).
Have you used your frig in hot weather to conclude that the OE dometic condenser fans are adequate and an additional high mounted fan is not needed ?
When the fridge is removed and the insulation and baffle are installed it would be a good time to wire and install a fan under the top vent and add a fuse switch later if needed.
Old 07-20-2015, 05:56 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
If you own a trailer with the 4.3 frig, have added a fan at the top of the vent and are satisfied with it, please share the fan model number and source.
Thank you, Bob
Hi Bob . I got that fan Tom and Rich have also . Did not install it . Sorry fellows kind of cheap . Worried if I installed and it failed back there . I wired the 1 existing fan on back of my frig . with a switch . I also bought # 3188705751 ventilator kit for single door . It is a Dometic fan . Good quality , ball bearing etc. It comes with everything , switch etc. also they have another thermoswitch which I did not use . I can now control both switches and turn on my fans as needed . It cost me 60 .+ tax and 6 for shipping . Believe me it is very good quality . I saw them on different venders up to 100. I first saw it in a Oliver trailer they add . I put that one in my cavity if I need to exhaust more heat out of there .The vender I bought from was Schwalm Inc., 13784 Monte Vista Ave. Chino, California , 91710 . Phone # 909 591 4341
If interested . Arrived pretty fast . Hope this helps you . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 07:40 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 19, 2018: Last Best Escape
Would you folks who wired your existing Dometic fan for on/off operation post some instructions how you did that? I'll occasionally tackle electric stuff myself but generally need competent experts to tell me how that's done.

Klaus

Honda Pilot 2019
ksitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 08:12 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
See post #100
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f3...g-5344-10.html

If you need more info PM me and I will send a better explanation.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:31 PM   #8

When I was preparing to do my fridge mod, I ran into a fan setup on You Tube some guy devised that was pretty clever. He installed three computer cooling fans at the top of his fridge vent by cutting fan-sized holes in the screen and installing the fans in these openings. My guess is that he needed three fans since he was drawing air pretty far from the source which Isnt as efficient as placing the fan closer to the source of the cool air (?). These computer fans are cheap and designed to run for years and are very quiet too. That and a bunch of insulation took care of his issues.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
When I was preparing to do my fridge mod, I ran into a fan setup on You Tube some guy devised that was pretty clever. He installed three computer cooling fans at the top of his fridge vent by cutting fan-sized holes in the screen and installing the fans in these openings. My guess is that he needed three fans since he was drawing air pretty far from the source which Isnt as efficient as placing the fan closer to the source of the cool air (?). These computer fans are cheap and designed to run for years and are very quiet too. That and a bunch of insulation took care of his issues.
His fridge must have had an adequate sized physical cooling capacity !
Old 07-20-2015, 08:43 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrykamper View Post
See post #100
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f3...g-5344-10.html

If you need more info PM me and I will send a better explanation.
Glad you are helping this guy out Tom and Rich .,Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 09:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
His fridge must have had an adequate sized physical cooling capacity !
I dunno. IMHO, the problem is the large cavity behind the fridge and could theoretically be overcome with oversized fan capacity. The narrow flue some of us have configured make it easier for the stock (small) Dometic fans. Again, no data to point to; just a cold fridge