4G antenna? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2015, 11:10 AM   #11
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallemann View Post
Another question: can I use this setup without actually mounting the antenna on the top of the trailer? Could I use it with the antenna in the trailer... or suction-cupped to the outside of a window or even to the top of the trailer?

I'm trying to reduce the number of holes in the fiberglass.
The antenna needs a metal ground plane to function; you could put one anywhere as long as it has that built-in or you place the antenna on one. The 6 inch car stick-on antennas use the car roof for their ground plane.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 11:50 AM   #12

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A - "The Pullman"
Quote:
Another question: can I use this setup without actually mounting the antenna on the top of the trailer? Could I use it with the antenna in the trailer... or suction-cupped to the outside of a window or even to the top of the trailer?

Here was Myron's solution: (some good possible ideas!)
Escape Trailer Owners Community - MyronL's Album: HomeBoy Modifications - Picture

dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 12:24 PM   #13

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Quote:

I tried it without an antenna, no improvement in signal. Tried the magnetic one that comes with the cradle just sitting on the table, also no improvement. I'll need to spring for a trailer antenna.
Old 06-05-2015, 02:55 PM   #14
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
We have iPhones, and I used the Field Test service feature to determine if my combo (cradle + roof antenna) was better than just the cradle before I installed the antenna. Definitely works better. The not-obvious part of this routine is that instead of just the reception indicator bars on the phone you will get a numerical dB measurements to quantify how much better (or worse) your reception is.

Use Field Test Mode to See True iPhone Signal Strength as Numbers Instead of Bars | OSXDaily

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 08:48 PM   #15

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21 - Audi Q7
I use the small suction cup antenna attached to the outside of one of the back windows and run the antenna wire into the trailer along the electric cord. My phone shows one bar without the antenna and three with it. I talked to a techie at Wilson when trying to figure out the whole antenna thing. He told me that suction cup one would do the job and it has. It has been on my list to check the numerical dB measurements but that hasn't happened yet.
Old 06-07-2015, 01:11 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
The Alaska highway is the first good test for my we boost 4s with magnetic antenna on truck roof. Definitely turns a 1bar signal into 2, 3 or more bars. The testimonials are true. Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 01:41 PM   #17

Trailer: 2016 Tacoma Off Road, 2017 21
Quote:

If you have the extra insulation option, the aluminized bubble wrap will cause some signal loss. In addition, Wilson publishes some safety distances that humans need to be from the antenna.

As to sticking the antenna to the fiberglass, the magnetic one that comes with the amplifier requires a ground plane. The steel roof of a typical vehicle provides that, but fiberglass doesn't. A 6" diameter piece of metal will provide one that works at the frequencies used by the cell system.

The antenna will not receive signals quite as well without the ground plane, and while I have not seen anyone post a problem, it is possible to damage the transmitter in the amp if the antenna does not have a ground plane.
Old 06-07-2015, 01:46 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
We recently purchased a Wilson Sleek 4G because of recommendations from this forum. We just returned from Vermont where cell coverage was bad in most areas. In the campground we could not make a call because service was going in and out. I hooked up our Wilson Sleek

Amazon.com: Wilson Electronics Sleek 4g Kit - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

and using the in home kit with suction cup mount just stuck the antenna to the inside of the window.

Amazon.com: Wilson Electronics Home/Office Accessory Kit for Wilson Sleek, C-Boost: Cell Phones & Accessories

Our cell signal went from -120 to -90 or about 3 bars. I was able to make calls and use data. I then mounted the antenna on the roof of the truck and tried it again. Was about the same single at -90 that I was able to get in the camper using just the suction cup bracket on the home kit. I was kind of surprised I did not get a stronger signal with the antenna attached to the truck roof. The vertical rod on the suction cup mount must have something to do with making it work without a large ground plane.

Wilson 901128 Window Mount for Magnet-Mount Antennas

I also tested it while driving around in the mountains with antenna attached to the truck roof and always seemed to gain about 30 while in the field test mode using the Sleek. Overall I was quite happy.