5.0 TA landing gear control modification - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2016, 10:06 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5TA
5.0 TA landing gear control modification

I have never liked where the control switches for the front gear were located. I had to place my hand on the switches and then stand on my head to see the gear to guide them to their landing spot. This week I added a chord and box for the switches and placed a connection point in the LP storage area.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160412_182915.jpg (188.8 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160414_200422.jpg (213.8 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160412_182602.jpg (159.3 KB, 44 views)

strawbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 01:20 AM   #2

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
That is a great idea Barry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 04-15-2016, 01:49 AM   #3

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I think that's a great idea, too. I see the connector is a 7-pin RV-style trailer cable connector - that has lots of circuits and big contacts to handle the current.

One could even put a socket on each side of the trailer, to be able to use the switches at whichever side is more convenient... just in case one is raising the front to level and needs to watch clearance one side at the back.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 02:00 AM   #4

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawbarry View Post
I have never liked where the control switches for the front gear were located. I had to place my hand on the switches and then stand on my head to see the gear to guide them to their landing spot. This week I added a chord and box for the switches and placed a connection point in the LP storage area.
Very nice mod ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 08:18 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Nice, I like that idea. I assume there are 3 wires, correct? I am placing an order soon with Cnlinko, so for less that $10 can order one of these in a 3 pin.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 08:42 AM   #6

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Nice, I like that idea. I assume there are 3 wires, correct? I am placing an order soon with Cnlinko, so for less that $10 can order one of these in a 3 pin.

Jim, Isn't Cnlinko a Chinese company? Where are you ordering this from? Do they have a distributor in N.A?
"What a long, strange trip it's been....."
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 08:50 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Jim, Isn't Cnlinko a Chinese company? Where are you ordering this from? Do they have a distributor in N.A?
Yes, I have been dealing direct with them in China. I must say that the response has been great, and they are very helpful. Each connector is aroun $5 USD. The kicker is that shipping is $25 USD, so I need to order a few to make it worthwhile. The have a lot of good ones to choose from.

They are also available on eBay, though much pricier.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 01:51 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
I do like the idea also as one needs to contort to see the position of the passengers side landing gear. I have not looked in detail yet, but when I unscrewed the rocker switches, there are 8 heavy gauge wires, 4 per switch, I suspect there are common ones within the 8 wires. Does anyone know the wire gauge?
One thing I just noticed is the battery disconnect switch does not effect the landing gear, it still works with the switch off.
Old 04-15-2016, 03:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I assume there are 3 wires, correct? I am placing an order soon with Cnlinko, so for less that $10 can order one of these in a 3 pin.
I really like those connectors, and the 20-amp capacity may be suitable, but I think you need more contacts...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
I do like the idea also as one needs to contort to see the position of the passengers side landing gear. I have not looked in detail yet, but when I unscrewed the rocker switches, there are 8 heavy gauge wires, 4 per switch, I suspect there are common ones within the 8 wires. Does anyone know the wire gauge?
Each switch controls a jack motor, and because that control is bi-directional it is likely a centre-off DPDT reversing switch. That would make one +12V and one return (or "ground") in common between the two, so I'm guessing that six conductors is the minimum to make everything work.

(If I get around to checking the wiring in detail and this is incorrect, I'll post an update/correction.)

Barry, how many contacts of that connector are you using?
Old 04-15-2016, 03:51 PM   #10

I checked an Atwood jack manual (probably not the right one for these jacks, but the wiring should be similar) and found the attached drawing for the wiring of the switch. The red and yellow wires go to the motor, and swap polarity depending on which way you push the rocker switch (extend or retract). The black is the 12 volt supply, and the ground wire is the return side of the power supply.

There are two of these switches in an Escape 5.0/5.0TA, to run the two jacks. Both black and ground could be in common between the two switches, but each would need the capacity to handle the current of two jack motors. That would leave six wires minimum
  1. +12V supply (black) - common between left and right jacks
  2. ground - common between left and right jacks
  3. red motor wire - left jack
  4. yellow motor wire - left jack
  5. red motor wire - right jack
  6. yellow motor wire - right jack
Of course wire colours could be different on the model Escape is using.

According to Atwood's installation/operation/maintenance manual, they use a 30-amp fuse, so individual jack wires should be suitable for that (10 gauge?), and common wires should be suitable for 60 amps (8 gauge?) unless there is a lower-rated fuse on the common supply.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jackSwitch.jpg (17.3 KB, 254 views)