5.0ta refrigerator - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2019, 06:29 AM   #21

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Perhaps a couple more pictures showing the location from inside in relation to the refer control and your system monitor to get perspective of the area. If the opening is over the refrigerator and the only thing in that space is your system monitor is one thing, or if the area includes your monitor as well as the refrigerator control panel that is another scenario.
Old 08-07-2019, 07:57 AM   #22

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21, 2014 Northern Lite slide in, 2014 2500 Duramax
I was looking to get the last degree of cooling out of our refrigerator also.

While investigating I found a couple of the same issues.

Any assembly line process will never be as good as a hands on perfectionist.
It is easier for me to upfit some of the items, and less frustrating, than to have someone else do the work.

In the case of the small gap above the fridge, seen through the monitor panel opening.
I cut a piece of pool noodle, or find another suitable foam pipe insulation or such, about 1 inch tall and the width of the gap.
Using a yardstick, or suitable piece, feed it in through the hole and position it to fill the gap. Maybe attach a string to it in case you push it in wrong and want to retrieve it.
After you are satisfied with positioning of the filler foam, fill the area above the fridge with non backed fiberglass type batt insulation, just keep pushing pieces through the hole and moving them aside with the yardstick until the cavity is filled, but not hard packed stuffed.
Reinstall the monitor manel and enjoy you cooler refrigerator contents.
TZBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 08:07 AM   #23

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Ok here goes with ETI saying it’s designed that way is not good I hope they’re not starting to go down the path of forest rivers products
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 09:00 AM   #24

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
It appears to me that you are looking at an unused void above the refrigerator. Again I ask, is the remainder of the space around the refrigerator insulated?

If insulated there is no reason to be concerned about the space outside of the refrigerator. Then I would agree with the assessment you received from Escape.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 09:01 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZBrown View Post
I was looking to get the last degree of cooling out of our refrigerator also.

While investigating I found a couple of the same issues.

Any assembly line process will never be as good as a hands on perfectionist.
It is easier for me to upfit some of the items, and less frustrating, than to have someone else do the work.

In the case of the small gap above the fridge, seen through the monitor panel opening.
I cut a piece of pool noodle, or find another suitable foam pipe insulation or such, about 1 inch tall and the width of the gap.
Using a yardstick, or suitable piece, feed it in through the hole and position it to fill the gap. Maybe attach a string to it in case you push it in wrong and want to retrieve it.
After you are satisfied with positioning of the filler foam, fill the area above the fridge with non backed fiberglass type batt insulation, just keep pushing pieces through the hole and moving them aside with the yardstick until the cavity is filled, but not hard packed stuffed.
Reinstall the monitor manel and enjoy you cooler refrigerator contents.
This is what I did with my 2014 E21 with daylight above the refer cavity.
Old 08-07-2019, 09:02 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
Ok here goes with ETI saying it’s designed that way is not good I hope they’re not starting to go down the path of forest rivers products
I object your honor, hearsay.....
Old 08-07-2019, 09:16 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
I do not believe this statement contributes to the solution. Here we have a newbie posting a single photo asking a question. The poster states they removed a portion of the refrigerator, no they removed a panel above the refrigerator, they appear to be unfamiliar with the workings of the refrigerator. Let's work this out before we make blanket statements.
Old 08-07-2019, 10:49 AM   #28

Trailer: 2018 5ota
I should have posted a better picture. There are a lot of good fixes posted. seems other people have this issue.
Should the consumer be responsible for fixing this or the builder?Click image for larger version

Name:	20190807_081147.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	40893Click image for larger version

Name:	20190807_081210.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	40894
garyfaulkner00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 11:18 AM   #29

That is not the standard refer in the 5.0 is it? I thought it was the dual door 6.0 cf 3 way model? which model did you get installed?
Old 08-07-2019, 11:55 AM   #30

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
That is not the standard refer in the 5.0 is it? I thought it was the dual door 6.0 cf 3 way model? which model did you get installed?
It looks like the 6.0 cf to me - if you take a pic and only include the top part of the freezer, that would be what it would look like.

I think I finally figured out what happened. Escape changed the way they do the fridge cavity.

On my 2017, the area above the fridge is completely enclosed. On mine, looking in the monitor area from a hole in the front, you see the top, sides, and bottom of the area are wood paneling. Completely sealed.

On the OP's trailer, the bottom of the enclosure looks to be the top of the fridge. Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like they changed the design so that only a baffle is installed at the top back of the fridge and nothing else. The light coming in is from the gap between the rear top edge of the fridge and the baffle.

Am I getting this right?
Old 08-07-2019, 12:10 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
It looks like the 6.0 cf to me - if you take a pic and only include the top part of the freezer, that would be what it would look like.

I think I finally figured out what happened. Escape changed the way they do the fridge cavity.

On my 2017, the area above the fridge is completely enclosed. On mine, looking in the monitor area from a hole in the front, you see the top, sides, and bottom of the area are wood paneling. Completely sealed.

On the OP's trailer, the bottom of the enclosure looks to be the top of the fridge. Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like they changed the design so that only a baffle is installed at the top back of the fridge and nothing else. The light coming in is from the gap between the rear top edge of the fridge and the baffle.

Am I getting this right?
Thank you for confirming previous builds. yes, it is the top part of freezer. running the refrig on A/C there is about 10deg higher temp in space relative to interior. switched to gas and will check temp later after chimney heats up.
Old 08-07-2019, 12:29 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyfaulkner00 View Post
Thank you for confirming previous builds. yes, it is the top part of freezer. running the refrig on A/C there is about 10deg higher temp in space relative to interior. switched to gas and will check temp later after chimney heats up.
That being the case, I need to stop calling that area above the fridge on your trailer an enclosure - it's not. It's just an open space above the fridge. With that gap, it's open to the outside air by way of the vents as well. And as Ron in BC mentioned, the new design would allow flue gas to get into the area.

Dave (rubicon327) said it was a baffle but it didn't dawn on me that all there was is the baffle.

Sorry, I like the old design better!
Old 08-07-2019, 01:52 PM   #33

Having removed a refrigerator and insulated the cavity I know the most critical part is that all sides have adequate insulation. Second, is that the heat dissipates from the cooling fins. Since heat rises it is going leave the fins, is it going to enter this “open space”? Perhaps some might make the turn and enter, I would venture that the majority is going to continue rising and out the roof vent.

If your interpretation of the photo is correct what is the downside?

Is it really a baffle? Or just the back of the enclosure. In my mind a baffle redirects, this appears to be more wall like.
Old 08-07-2019, 02:20 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
If your interpretation of the photo is correct what is the downside?
That area is where the OP has electronics mounted - they are not going to be happy being exposed to heat, moisture, flue gas, etc.

The other part is that it should be better insulated than that for optimum operation of the fridge. The OP measured higher temps above the fridge than ambient - that indicates that heat is migrating from the vent flue to the top of the fridge. The extra heat on top is not going to make the fridge work better.

The lack of insulation could be handled easily by just adding some. I would be tempted to pull the fridge to make sure they had insulation on the sides as well. The OP's pic didn't show any.
Old 08-07-2019, 03:01 PM   #35

after running on gas for 4 hrs, opposite wall 87deg.
wall that monitor panel mounted on is 95deg.
Air inside of closure on top of refrigerator is 106deg.
Ambient outside air is 87deg.
Old 08-07-2019, 04:08 PM   #36

Those are not good numbers in that dead air space, It needs to be remediated. Now I'm wondering what type of dead air space I have over my refer? There are no gauges or holes available for inspection. I can say though the unit cools very satisfactory on gas or electric.
Old 08-08-2019, 08:48 AM   #37

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Those are not good numbers in that dead air space, It needs to be remediated. Now I'm wondering what type of dead air space I have over my refer? There are no gauges or holes available for inspection. I can say though the unit cools very satisfactory on gas or electric.
Like your's, our's seems to work just fine. However, I will be waiting in great anticipation for you to remove your fridge (we don't have any gauges or holes either) and let us know what you see and your opinion of what needs to be remedied.

Please hurry!

Perry
Old 08-08-2019, 09:48 AM   #38

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
Like your's, our's seems to work just fine. However, I will be waiting in great anticipation for you to remove your fridge (we don't have any gauges or holes either) and let us know what you see and your opinion of what needs to be remedied.

Please hurry!

Perry
+1! Come on Jim, less camping and more modding!!!! We need direction!
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 10:52 AM   #39

It has been too hot, but I got some completed. Will post pictures soon.
Old 08-10-2019, 12:59 PM   #40

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA pulled by Ram 3500 diesel dually
I'm probably at least 6 weeks away from opening the space above the fridge for mounting the various control panels (I have to take delivery first). I'll be able to post pics of the 2019 space at that time. I hope to not have to pull the fridge but I'll find out if working in the space above is doable with it in place for what I want to do.