5TA top step storage - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2019, 05:01 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 5 TA
5TA top step storage

Who has modified the top step for storage and can you send some pics. Were there any issues that you ran into and has it worked out as good as you thought
Greg and Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 05:46 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
And to piggyback on this, I’m interested if anyone has a solution to keep the middle and/or bottom step open without using a hand in order to access the storage area.
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 05:53 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 5.0TA 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg and Kathy View Post
Who has modified the top step for storage and can you send some pics. Were there any issues that you ran into and has it worked out as good as you thought
If you send me your email address I will send you some pictures I just did a step mod in my new 5.0 TA
Ejdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 05:58 PM   #4

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I did mine a while back, I'll see what I have for pics. In the mean time here's the write up from ChrisR when he did his, the 1st to do such.

https://escape440.wordpress.com/2016...s-and-storage/
Old 09-26-2019, 06:11 PM   #5

Same as Ej, send me your email, the zip file is 11Mb, 15 images.

Things may have changed, but the issues I had were... The existing step is glued on. The back wall was anything but straight, had to shape a couple of the parts to fit so the hinge would work correctly. Found a pretty close match for the carpet at HD of all places. Should have checked the staple length before attaching the new carpet. Some of the new material had to be inserted from underneath, temporarily removed some existing bracing to allow such. Some of this depends on how picky you are.
Old 09-26-2019, 06:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejdobbs View Post
If you send me your email address I will send you some pictures I just did a step mod in my new 5.0 TA
PM sent
Old 09-26-2019, 06:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Same as Ej, send me your email, the zip file is 11Mb, 15 images.

Things may have changed, but the issues I had were... The existing step is glued on. The back wall was anything but straight, had to shape a couple of the parts to fit so the hinge would work correctly. Found a pretty close match for the carpet at HD of all places. Should have checked the staple length before attaching the new carpet. Some of the new material had to be inserted from underneath, temporarily removed some existing bracing to allow such. Some of this depends on how picky you are.
PMSent
Old 09-26-2019, 07:59 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg and Kathy View Post
I did this right away. A couple issues you need to deal with is that you can't really lift the large area to the left easily, but you can still access it well. As well, you can't raise the tread on the right side either, needing to allow an inch or so it can miss the handles of the drawers there.

I followed a path similar to what Chris R did, and put a nice oak piece on all the sides of the steps except the right angled side of the lower step.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00238.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	178.4 KB
ID:	42174

And with the treads open.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00231.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	171.3 KB
ID:	42175

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStelly View Post
And to piggyback on this, I’m interested if anyone has a solution to keep the middle and/or bottom step open without using a hand in order to access the storage area.
To hold the lower 2 treads open I just rest the lid of the step above one it, and to hold the top tread up I just open a drawer a little bit with the tread behind it. Easy peasy.

Oh, and I also added a light under the stairs, very handy.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 10:05 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
thanks Bob, Jim. We use the top step space for laundry, very convenient location. And a light in the large space under the stairs is very useful.
Old 09-27-2019, 09:06 AM   #10

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
What Jim said, I did the same though probably not quite as professionally done. I didn’t make a separate area out of top step but provided easy access for a folding table we carry that wouldn’t before and a partial shelf for shoes. I purposely replaced carpet with a commercial grade, which is easier to keep clean.
Attached Thumbnails
9EE24E99-E0AF-49C7-A076-9CAA7F3F04A6.jpg   AB20AF40-CEC3-4E93-BD13-115DBC5B28F3.jpg  
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 09:51 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
I purposely replaced carpet with a commercial grade, which is easier to keep clean.
I never, but sure wish I did. It is now in the 'to do' list, but not critical.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-27-2019, 01:24 PM   #12

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA The Glass Inn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I did this right away. A couple issues you need to deal with is that you can't really lift the large area to the left easily, but you can still access it well. As well, you can't raise the tread on the right side either, needing to allow an inch or so it can miss the handles of the drawers there.

I followed a path similar to what Chris R did, and put a nice oak piece on all the sides of the steps except the right angled side of the lower step.

Attachment 42174

And with the treads open.

Attachment 42175

To hold the lower 2 treads open I just rest the lid of the step above one it, and to hold the top tread up I just open a drawer a little bit with the tread behind it. Easy peasy.

Oh, and I also added a light under the stairs, very handy.
Jim I see you have a 2017 5.0, I have a 2019 5.0, I notice some differences and have some questions.
1. What is the grill on your bottom step? I do not have that.
2. What are the switches on your entry wall? I do not have those.
3. Your door below switches and outlets is small. Mine is taller. Is yours custom for some reason, or is it a change ETI has made.
4. Is that the original location of your fire extinguisher. Mine is on the wall with the stripper pole. My switches are there also.
rmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 01:52 PM   #13

Jim built his cabinets and such, as opposed to having ETI do it, big difference. Look at ChrisR's trailer too, another custom job.
Old 09-27-2019, 02:33 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmitch View Post
Jim I see you have a 2017 5.0, I have a 2019 5.0, I notice some differences and have some questions.

1. What is the grill on your bottom step? I do not have that.

2. What are the switches on your entry wall? I do not have those.

3. Your door below switches and outlets is small. Mine is taller. Is yours custom for some reason, or is it a change ETI has made.

4. Is that the original location of your fire extinguisher. Mine is on the wall with the stripper pole. My switches are there also.
1. That is an electric toekick heater I installed.

2. I converted my bed captains lights into having 3-way controls, and this are the lower switches, with swapped out switches on the lights.

3. I built all the doors and this cabinet, again using an idea from Chris R. My cabinet goes right up to the drawers and right down to the exterior hatch storage. I also built in 2 drawers.

4. I just installed it where I wanted it. In time I plan to use a recessed housing.
Old 09-28-2019, 03:14 PM   #15

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA The Glass Inn
Nice work, especially the oak on the steps. I will be doing something similar soon. Is the heater A.C. or 12 volt.
rmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 03:38 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape 5.0TA (July 19, 2017)
Hi - I just added a simple divider to my 5.0 TA step storage area along with a toe-kick style door prop to hold the step open. The divider is 1/2" plywood, 18" tall. We'll use one side of the storage as a laundry hamper and the other for bulkier items.
John
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2698.jpg   IMG_2697.jpg  
LatLongJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 08:13 PM   #17

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatLongJohn View Post
Hi - I just added a simple divider to my 5.0 TA step storage area along with a toe-kick style door prop to hold the step open. The divider is 1/2" plywood, 18" tall. We'll use one side of the storage as a laundry hamper and the other for bulkier items.
John
NICE
Old 02-10-2021, 06:13 PM   #18

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
A different approach

I've been wanting to easily access the top step area for storage, but didn't have the time or inclination because I'm so busy right now to do the hinged top step mod that others have done. Instead I added a couple of doors to the front face of the top step, and it was easy to add a floor to that space from underneath. Not as elegant or quite as functional as having a hinged step on top, but we will be using it as a laundry hamper (the lower step, which we tried using for that, just isn't a large enough space) and the doors will work fine for that.

I originally thought that the big wide upper cabinet door in the back of the dinette would work great, but realized just in time that any door I added to the step face couldn't go all the way down to the second step or it would prevent it from being able to open. The forward-most upper cabinet doors in the bedroom turned out to be just the right size, still provide usable openings but allow them to be positioned far enough over the second step that it can still open. I didn't use handles on them to avoid the protrusion in the step area, but it's easy to open the doors without them. Dustin Dionne in ETI's parts and service department was happy to put together a package for me of the doors, hinges, gas opening/closing struts, and plastic edge trim.

I made a 3/4" thick template to use on the face of the step both as a guide for cutting the holes and to provide a flat surface for my jig saw because of the overhang of the top step. It was tough to get a perfectly straight cut working with a jig saw, but I smoothed out the edges, painted the side and top edges like ETI does on the other cabinets, and added the same plastic trim to the lower edge so except for the absence of handles it pretty much looks like the rest of the cabinetry - which was what I was hoping to accomplish. And although the lower two steps are just lightweight pine framing and thin paneling, the top step is very stout - framed all the way around in 5/8" plywood, so I think you could do pretty much anything you wanted to in that area without worrying about structural integrity.

Of course, in a few years when I wind up having to replace the carpet on the steps anyway I'll probably be kicking myself for not just doing that now
Attached Thumbnails
Top step 1.jpg   Top step 2.jpg   Top step 3.jpg   Top step 4.jpg  
Old 02-11-2021, 08:04 AM   #19

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
I like it David! Did you put in a “floor” for the compartment that separates it from the larger area beneath it?
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 08:09 AM   #20

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStelly View Post
I like it David! Did you put in a “floor” for the compartment that separates it from the larger area beneath it?
Yes, adding a floor was easy. the bottom edge of the plywood face of the upper step runs all the way across and there is a pine framing piece as well that makes a nice wide surface. All I had to do was add a 1x2 to the back wall at the same height and then screw a pine board (or plywood) underneath for the floor. Here's a pic I took of the inside of the top step area from underneath before I started.
Attached Thumbnails
Top step 6.jpg