6 Volt AGM-GC2 - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2018, 02:36 PM   #21
Tin

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Clark View Post
Good work, Tin, and congratulations! In Post #16 you mention your pre-Installation procedure of topping them off and then running them through two discharge cycles @40%. Is this procedure always necessary or because these are Solar Batteries?
Thanks Steve,

While I am not a battery guru or anything, I do like knowing the Status of the batteries in my vehicles. With new car batteries first thing I do is charge them fully (this is with all lead acid batteries) and then run a battery analyzer (conductance testing) to determine over all battery health and Internal resistance. I save as PDF files on my computer as a bases point for my yearly battery maintenance, so I have a ongoing record showing their condition since new.

As far as running 2 discharge cycles ? This was done to achieve a 100% state of health on my battery analyzer ( they were at 88% state of health when first checked) which is my bases point for yearly battery maintenance. I guess it's my way of "Getting the Juice Going".

The procedure above is what led me to conclude the incompatibility of my trailers charging devises (wfco converter and solar controller) with my Interstate batteries.
I also concluded that running higher output charging devises (above 15 volts) was not the answer, as this can cause issues with other devises and appliances not suited for higher volts.

This is how I do it, not saying this needs to be done or should be done. I just like knowing the status of my batteries and to make sure theirs gas in the fuel tank.

Tin.
Attached Thumbnails
6.jpg   Q.jpg  
Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 07:05 PM   #22

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Thanks for the explanation, Tin! Gives me food for thought when I am ready to replace the Interstate Flooded. Might be sooner, than later! You have a very nice setup!

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 07:52 PM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin View Post
Hi Bison, My controller is above the frig. I think Escape now installs them in the front of the bench seating next to the batteries. On the GP-PWM-30-UL solar controller you just use the buttons on the front of the controller to scroll thru the three battery types Flooded, AGM and GEL. Easy

Honestly just not having to drag them d@m cushions out is worth it to me. Little to no off gassing, quicker charging with better charge profile compatibility.
Thanks Tin

I finally had a chance to open up the trailer (it's winterized). The solar controlled is exactly where you suggested, on the side of the bench next to the battery (I.e. Under the table so you can't see it without crawling on hands and knees). I also amazingly found the solar manual. Looks like it's an easy to change setting. I wouldn't have known I had to change it until I read this forum, so thanks everyone

Most injuries injuries in old men occur because they think they are young men!
bisonbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 12:43 PM   #24

Trailer: Escape 21 2019
ETI approved Lifeline AGM 6 volt GPL 4CT batteries for an Escape 21 that will be completed In December.
I purchased them online at Polar Battery in Vancouver.
They deliver weekly to ETI.
Andrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 01:23 PM   #25
Tin

How to damage your batteries

Just a heads up, eases way to ruin your batteries permanently is to discharge them below recommended D.O.D ( DOD, short for the Depth of Discharge, is used to describe how deeply the battery is discharged. If we say a battery is 100% fully charged, it means the DOD of this battery is 0%, If we say the battery have delivered 30% of its energy, here are 70% energy reserved, we say the DOD of this battery is 30%.) Every time you do this you are decreasing your batteries life cycle, capacity and health.
Attached Thumbnails
screenhunter_02dec051817.gif   12-v-Battery-State-Of-Charge-website.jpg  
Old 11-26-2018, 10:27 PM   #26
Tin

Reading Battery Voltage

If you are reading battery voltage to determine state of charge. This is a helpful chart to use, of course a battery monitor is much better. Remember always make sure batteries are fully charged before adding distilled water. Unless water is below plates then add 1/8" above plates then fully charge, then add remaining.
Tin.
Attached Thumbnails
2cdf3f6a0.jpg  
Old 01-16-2019, 12:53 PM   #27

Trailer: 2014 5.0TA "The HAB"
Revisited this...

Researching 6V AGM’s looking at the Trojan T105’s and the Solar AGM. After numerous calls to distributors listed at Trojan for TX, I was given quotes ranging from $169-$319 for both these batteries and suspected that they weren’t giving me prices for the correct models. With further research and finally gettting a Trojan rep on the phone, he stated that both batteries are the same and Trojan slapped the new label and new product number on the solar AGM GC2 battery in order to track solar sales of the battery. According to him they should run around $270 each....but I also emailed a note/question to Trojan corporate about the two batteries.
Tford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 11:56 PM   #28

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Hi,
I'm still a newbie with the 5.0TA (bought 2015 used in December 2018) but it looks like the two original Interstate Battery GC2 XGHD UTL may be defunct either due to age or my on inept handling. Took them out today after not holding a charge and will have them tested tomorrow. In the general opinion herein, a good replacement would be the equivalent Reliant? Though I will be traveling much over the spring and summer with some off grid, I am not sure that I am ready for the more expensive ion investment. The trailer is wired solar ready which I may consider in the future year, but not now. Any advisement would be appreciated. Thanks, Alfred. Happy Trails
TravelingAlfredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 05:59 AM   #29

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Looks like Reliants are now called Motives, either way I'd be happy to have them. I take it you're looking at the T105's. Another good one is Lifeline, or maybe Crown's. For me a lot depends on what I can get more or less locally.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:49 AM   #30

Just a tip....

Just purchased some T 105 Trojan 6V’s. When you’re shopping, ignore the battery dealers, auto and RV places. Call every golf cart dealer you can, these guys go thru batteries like crazy and can give serious discounts based on volume. My T105’s were $119 each, one dealer who was closer even matched another one, drove the forklift to the back of the truck with a pallet of them and I swapped out the Interstates! Now I’m going to order a connected filling system....
Old 03-21-2019, 08:36 AM   #31

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tford View Post
Just purchased some T 105 Trojan 6V’s. When you’re shopping, ignore the battery dealers, auto and RV places. Call every golf cart dealer you can, these guys go thru batteries like crazy and can give serious discounts based on volume. My T105’s were $119 each, one dealer who was closer even matched another one, drove the forklift to the back of the truck with a pallet of them and I swapped out the Interstates! Now I’m going to order a connected filling system....
This seems to be a good one.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ller-9641.html
Old 03-21-2019, 08:47 AM   #32

That’s the one!
Old 03-21-2019, 09:03 AM   #33

Trailer: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tford View Post

Great advice for purchasing the Trojan's, my favorite battery. Had dual T-105's in my Lazy Daze class C and loved them!
Old 03-21-2019, 12:50 PM   #34

And the batteries are fresh, mine had C19’s stamped on them, for March 2019...