A few modifications to my 19 - Page 14 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2015, 08:33 PM   #261

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Aw, too many issues got in the way, but Osoyoos maybe next year, Jim. The original table top is in the garage. Did not use any of it for the new top, everything is easily reversible.

There are several layers of paint build up on the surface. Some are splashed across, resulting in thick "veins" of paint dried proud. Kept messing around until it seemed to work for me. Six coats of the varnish should keep it that way.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:25 PM   #262

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Aw, too many issues got in the way, but Osoyoos maybe next year, Jim. The original table top is in the garage. Did not use any of it for the new top, everything is easily reversible.

There are several layers of paint build up on the surface. Some are splashed across, resulting in thick "veins" of paint dried proud. Kept messing around until it seemed to work for me. Six coats of the varnish should keep it that way.
Your table top reminds me of a Jackson Pollock painting . Your trailer is now very famous . I hope to see it in person someday . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:30 PM   #263

Ha. Inner Jackson Pollock.... wish I said that.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:21 PM   #264

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Ah, classic Myron materials procurement, using stuff too good to throw out

Looks great and you'll find that little shelf is really useful.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 02:20 PM   #265

A couple new mods, one minor, one major:

A most recent trip was a near disaster when dear old Ben was stepping out of the trailer at the campsite. He caught a nail in one of them holes in the fold-away metal step. He slipped on the wet step and all of his 70 pounds, then, still caught by the step hole, he flipped over backwards. I thought a front leg was fractured. Me now totally freaked out, but managed to get the leg free. Fortunately, Ben was ok, why, I do not know. No limp, no howling. So, instead of taking him to the nearest vet we went immediately to the nearest Home DePot looking for a rubber step tread. Must glue one down, cover them holes. HD had nothing. Days later when we got home I found this one, in Lowes.

Next: Ever since on this forum I saw the fine under-the-bed-drawers carpentry done by several 19 owners, that project was on my do-it list. This week did my own version.

First, measured the rough opening space, then built two long and deep boxes. The left one goes right to the back wall, stores homeboy TV mast. The right box is shorter, allows enough space back there for the shore power line. (I hope.) That done, built a rail/track for them to slide on. Screwed down the track, waxed it.

Yes, I learn something from every mod and this was no exception. Being a certified wood butcher I failed to account for that the two doors, when fully opened, then narrows the opening. That restricts how far out you can pull the right drawer box. Now must re-engineer and reduce the width of the track rail. Was able to do it just enough so did not have to build a new, more narrow right drawer, but it was close. Had to replace the right door pull with my own, less deep, door handle so the door opened a hair wider.

All is good now.
Attached Thumbnails
steptread.jpg   bedcab1.jpg   bedcab2.jpg   bedcab2a.jpg  
Old 06-24-2015, 02:37 PM   #266

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
A most recent trip was a near disaster when dear old Ben was stepping out of the trailer at the campsite. He caught a nail in one of them holes in the fold-away metal step. He slipped on the wet step and all of his 70 pounds, then, still caught by the step hole, he flipped over backwards. I thought a front leg was fractured. Me now totally freaked out, but managed to get the leg free. Fortunately, Ben was ok, why, I do not know. No limp, no howling. (snip)
Wow, glad to hear he's okay. Not owning a dog, I never would have thought of something like that happening. I'm forwarding this info to a friend that travels with her dogs, just in case, so it won't happen to her pups.

Thanks for sharing.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 02:41 PM   #267

Mods

Quote:
A couple new mods, one minor, one major:

A most recent trip was a near disaster when dear old Ben was stepping out of the trailer at the campsite. He caught a nail in one of them holes in the fold-away metal step. He slipped on the wet step and all of his 70 pounds, then, still caught by the step hole, he flipped over backwards. I thought a front leg was fractured. Me now totally freaked out, but managed to get the leg free. Fortunately, Ben was ok, why, I do not know. No limp, no howling. So, instead of taking him to the nearest vet we went immediately to the nearest Home DePot looking for a rubber step tread. Must glue one down, cover them holes. HD had nothing. Days later when we got home I found this one, in Lowes.

Next: Ever since on this forum I saw the fine under-the-bed-drawers carpentry done by several 19 owners, that project was on my do-it list. This week did my own version.

First, measured the rough opening space, then built two long and deep boxes. The left one goes right to the back wall, stores homeboy TV mast. The right box is shorter, allows enough space back there for the shore power line. (I hope.) That done, built a rail/track for them to slide on. Screwed down the track, waxed it.

Yes, I learn something from every mod and this was no exception. Being a certified wood butcher I failed to account for that the two doors, when fully opened, then narrows the opening. That restricts how far out you can pull the right drawer box. Now must re-engineer and reduce the width of the track rail. Was able to do it just enough so did not have to build a new, more narrow right drawer, but it was close. Had to replace the right door pull with my own, less deep, door handle so the door opened a hair wider.

All is good now.
Giving me more idea's Myron ! Nice job ! Glad Ben is Ok ! Pat
Old 06-24-2015, 02:47 PM   #268

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Yes, those holes got one of my dog's nails, really bloody mess. Nice mod on the drawers, glad to see "gumption trap" is still alive and working.
Old 06-24-2015, 02:55 PM   #269
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
oooh, Myron hearing about your dog makes MY toes hurt. I guess I never paid attention to the step. I purchased a wrap around rug for the step from ETIs wall, when I went to pickup Ten Forward. Haven't seen a bare step since. And, I'd highly recommend a rug for the step, a bristly one... removes tiny rocks, etc. from the base of the shoes before stepping inside.

Nice job on the drawers!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 03:36 PM   #270

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Wow, glad to hear he's okay. Not owning a dog, I never would have thought of something like that happening. I'm forwarding this info to a friend that travels with her dogs, just in case, so it won't happen to her pups.

Thanks for sharing.
Myron I had put on the same as you I think because I liked the yellow stripe so my eye will catch to not trip . Pat
Old 07-10-2015, 11:28 AM   #271

Had a thick sheet of white plastic salvaged from someplace, I forget where, (junk too good to dump) and was unsatisfied with the WallyWorld storage bin I wedged against the wall underneath the bathroom sink.

Thought I could melt pieces together with MEK. That failed. So I bought a pencil-thin butane flame thrower, and got plastic welding rods from Harbor Freight, but that failed. (Burnt first, rods were incompatible.)

Now down thirty bucks, I resorted finally to using a tube of Weldon #16 acrylic cement I already had. Holding fast as we speak.
Attached Thumbnails
Ba-sink.jpg  
Old 07-10-2015, 11:30 AM   #272

Nice $30 wall basket.....
Old 07-10-2015, 12:50 PM   #273

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Now down thirty bucks, I resorted finally to using a tube of Weldon #16 acrylic cement I already had. Holding fast as we speak.
That was my first thought as I started reading your post. Glad though it is holding well, and you also got smarter in the process.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 01:07 PM   #274

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:

Thought I could melt pieces together with MEK. That failed. So I bought a pencil-thin butane flame thrower, and got plastic welding rods from Harbor Freight, but that failed. (Burnt first, rods were incompatible.)
Welding plastic can be a little tricky. A friend bought one of those hot air plastic welders but it didn't work out too well for him. It seems unless the welding rod is exactly right for the type of plastic, and there are many, often without any identification, that welding is a bit of a crapshoot.

Glad, in the end, you ended up with a usable product. I've been eyeballing that space. It does seem to be a bit of wasted space, given that there's little other storage space in the bathroom, so I'll probably do something similar.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 01:26 PM   #275

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
That was my first thought as I started reading your post. Glad though it is holding well, and you also got smarter in the process.
That saying reminded me of one of Mark Twains quotes "the older I get, the smarter my father becomes"
Old 07-10-2015, 01:57 PM   #276

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
The space is great for narrow plastic baskets with drain holes that can hold shampoo bottles and other stuff. I have two: one above the other, but I use suction and Ikea hooks STUGVIK Hook with suction cup - IKEA, to hold them. I see that on-line anyway, that Ikea no longer offers the large basket that could fit there.
Old 07-10-2015, 02:21 PM   #277

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I jamb extra rolls of TP in that space.
Old 07-10-2015, 02:35 PM   #278

Ron I almost bought one of them plastic welding rods. Glad now I went for the cheaper butane torch instead, even though that was still a bust. Yez, many different tribes of plastic out there.
Old 07-10-2015, 03:34 PM   #279

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I jamb extra rolls of TP in that space.
Pardon for straying: I keep a roll of TP in a plastic lidded coffee can, beside the commode.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:40 PM   #280

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
We wanted a spice rack, too, and decided to put it inside the door in front of the sink so that you don't have to reach over the stove. We keep a dish drainer under the sink so there was space in front of it to put the spice rack. We looked for one to buy but they were not sized right, so I designed and built one from oak, finished like the oak trailer trim. I think it turned out rather nicely.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0375.jpg   IMG_0376.jpg  
bdornbush is offline   Reply With Quote