A few modifications to my 19 - Page 19 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-14-2016, 11:44 AM   #361

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
I did consider gluing my poster to the (back) of the original thin gray metal sheet. Didn't do it and opted instead for the Plexiglas just because I thought the 3 mil lamination wasn't robust enough protection and, was nervous about air pockets and ruining the print. You're right about the very flimsy side trim. I broke one of the tabs. Good news is Weldon #16 solvent cement for joining Acrylic seems compatible with the plastic. But was also able to switch the trim so the bad one wasn't on the door opening side.

Also considered drilling holes for an anchor screw to keep the trim in place. If it turns out the trim won't stay attached I may yet need to do that. Come to think of it, if they could laminate at 10 mil the poster might be too stiff to roll into a tube for shipment.
Myron did you call to get your size ? Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 12:40 PM   #362

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
re: Myron did you call to get your size ?

(If you mean to ask... ) The poster guys' ordering website allows for posters made to a custom size of your choice. Once you've sent in your picture file they will first advise if they think it will make a satisfactory sharp enough poster or not.
Old 04-16-2016, 02:30 PM   #363

Quote:
re: Myron did you call to get your size ?

(If you mean to ask... ) The poster guys' ordering website allows for posters made to a custom size of your choice. Once you've sent in your picture file they will first advise if they think it will make a satisfactory sharp enough poster or not.
Thanks Myron . Pat
Old 04-30-2016, 06:15 PM   #364

Upper cabinet mold I discovered to my total surprise and utter dismay sent me searching this forum for answers. The subject has been well covered: Dehumidifiers. Light bulbs. Low wattage heaters. Crystals that absorb moisture, to vent or not to vent, tomato juice cans, rice. These solutions for combating the condensation and humidity that creates mold all sound sound. They particularly offer protection when doing long-time trailer storage in a potentially damp environment.

But, where I live the air is notoriously very dry. I am more interested in finding shorter-term mold prevention. Like, camped when it’s 99 degrees outside and you turn that jet engine of an air conditioner on inside to bring things down 25 degrees. Or, if it’s 19 degrees outside and the heater is blasting to jack up to a cozy 70 degrees inside. These extremes also produce the environment spores love.

In a picture of Klimptaks’ “Aubergine,” I noticed many round louvered vents in his cupboard cabinets. Doug has them too. They look factory installed. Think this solution, ventilation, is the more suitable, simplest answer for me. My plan was to tackle a replacement cupboard cabinet door with an insert of louvers, or a perforated metal sheet, or a bamboo rattan insert as the panel, and so increase air circulation in there. Drilling a 2 inch hole for a louvered vent sounds like a good move.

Ah, I did of course build the new cabinet door with the rattan. Once proposed, Myron rule number one is let no fun mod go un-tackled.

Went to Home Depot, went to Lowes. I did look for and at Lowes found that metal sheet stamped with a laser-cut pattern. Nice, but a 3x3 foot (?) metal sheet was thirty bucks. Well that’s not going to happen. Making wood louvers had no appeal. Walked over to Lowes’ shades aisle. Their nice selection of rattan roll-ups are beautiful, hard to resist, but equally expensive. Jeepers, I only need a little piece.

There it was on a bottom shelf, one box of Levolor 20½ x 60” pre-cut, natural woven wood rattan-shade, and, marked down from (yikes) $40, to $10. The printed shade width on the box was 24 inches. Someone must have ordered this item pre-cut to their specs, and then passed it up. Ah yes, one of life’s powerful little victories. Note I am at the age when this is the stuff we live for.

The rattan design is called Tatami. New door frame is cherry.
Attached Thumbnails
rattan3.jpg   Rattan2.jpg  
Old 04-30-2016, 07:03 PM   #365

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
Great mod and looks great!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 07:05 PM   #366

Trailer: 2016 - Escape 19 (2nd Gen), 2021 F150 Powerboost
Myron, that's a gorgeous door You must have way too much time on your hands.
davescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 07:19 PM   #367

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
I sure wish that becomes an option! Beautiful!
Marry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 07:26 PM   #368

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
That is beautiful !
Old 04-30-2016, 07:32 PM   #369

Quote:
Upper cabinet mold I discovered to my total surprise and utter dismay sent me searching this forum for answers. The subject has been well covered: Dehumidifiers. Light bulbs. Low wattage heaters. Crystals that absorb moisture, to vent or not to vent, tomato juice cans, rice. These solutions for combating the condensation and humidity that creates mold all sound sound. They particularly offer protection when doing long-time trailer storage in a potentially damp environment.

But, where I live the air is notoriously very dry. I am more interested in finding shorter-term mold prevention. Like, camped when it’s 99 degrees outside and you turn that jet engine of an air conditioner on inside to bring things down 25 degrees. Or, if it’s 19 degrees outside and the heater is blasting to jack up to a cozy 70 degrees inside. These extremes also produce the environment spores love.

In a picture of Klimptaks’ “Aubergine,” I noticed many round louvered vents in his cupboard cabinets. Doug has them too. They look factory installed. Think this solution, ventilation, is the more suitable, simplest answer for me. My plan was to tackle a replacement cupboard cabinet door with an insert of louvers, or a perforated metal sheet, or a bamboo rattan insert as the panel, and so increase air circulation in there. Drilling a 2 inch hole for a louvered vent sounds like a good move.

Ah, I did of course build the new cabinet door with the rattan. Once proposed, Myron rule number one is let no fun mod go un-tackled.

Went to Home Depot, went to Lowes. I did look for and at Lowes found that metal sheet stamped with a laser-cut pattern. Nice, but a 3x3 foot (?) metal sheet was thirty bucks. Well that’s not going to happen. Making wood louvers had no appeal. Walked over to Lowes’ shades aisle. Their nice selection of rattan roll-ups are beautiful, hard to resist, but equally expensive. Jeepers, I only need a little piece.

There it was on a bottom shelf, one box of Levolor 20½ x 60” pre-cut, natural woven wood rattan-shade, and, marked down from (yikes) $40, to $10. The printed shade width on the box was 24 inches. Someone must have ordered this item pre-cut to their specs, and then passed it up. Ah yes, one of life’s powerful little victories. Note I am at the age when this is the stuff we live for.

The rattan design is called Tatami. New door frame is cherry.
Myron I knew you were going to come up with something fantastic . Did you make that door ? If you did WOW! You just keep making your trailer one of a kind .I like it ! Pat
Old 04-30-2016, 07:33 PM   #370

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 08:39 PM   #371
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
As always Myron, your mods are simply designed, and first rate.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:23 PM   #372

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
]The rattan design is called Tatami. New door frame is cherry.
Looks great, and should work great to Myron.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 09:50 AM   #373

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Very nice looking. Well done.
Old 07-03-2016, 08:13 PM   #374

Back last year, my post #256, I showed off my 19’s new dinette table mod. I made the table slightly smaller, has a handy wall shelf, and of course the inner Jackson Pollock splatter paint job. New table employs the old factory double-pedestals but not the factory slider. If I ever want to re-install the original table it will pop right on.

Today, many big Macs later, decided I needed the slider. Instead of cannibalizing the Escape table slider I decided to go looking for a new mechanism at Lowes. Went to their drawer department. Not sure what type slider would serve best, if at all. I settled on a drawer bottom, center mount one, at $5.27 each. Has ball bearings, looked adaptable. Happy to say it works good.

Only thing is it slides from left to right to allow easier access to street side seating but curbside people don't get the extra thigh room.
Attached Thumbnails
slide1.jpg   slide2.jpg   slide3.jpg  
Old 07-03-2016, 08:54 PM   #375

Quote:
Back last year, my post #256, I showed off my 19’s new dinette table mod. I made the table slightly smaller, has a handy wall shelf, and of course the inner Jackson Pollock splatter paint job. New table employs the old factory double-pedestals but not the factory slider. If I ever want to re-install the original table it will pop right on.

Today, many big Macs later, decided I needed the slider. Instead of cannibalizing the Escape table slider I decided to go looking for a new mechanism at Lowes. Went to their drawer department. Not sure what type slider would serve best, if at all. I settled on a drawer bottom, center mount one, at $5.27 each. Has ball bearings, looked adaptable. Happy to say it works good.

Only thing is it slides from left to right to allow easier access to street side seating but curbside people don't get the extra thigh room.
Wow Myron love that table ! Great idea and very sturdy ! Also have a sink mod soon to show . Pat.
Old 07-03-2016, 08:55 PM   #376

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Wow Myron love that table ! Great idea and very sturdy ! Also have a sink mod soon to show . Pat.
Big Mac's are 2 for 5.00 right now here . Pat
Old 07-04-2016, 06:09 AM   #377

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
So, I guess you are now relegated to sitting in the smaller seat now? Like your table.....
Old 07-04-2016, 06:39 AM   #378

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: MyronL... Very nice work. For those occupying the non slide side I'd recommend a Slimfast shake. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 08:32 PM   #379

The factory standard port to shore power is weak, cheap plastic, this we know. Not many options out there. Others solved the problem with a different, sealed unit and separate shore power line. Just beefed mine up without going for a replacement.

I cut up an old inner tube. I added a support shield made from thin aluminum to help keep the thing in place. Then secured it in the port with a home-made plastic bezel made from PVC.We’ll see how long this mod lasts.
Attached Thumbnails
EPort1.jpg   Eport2.jpg  
Old 07-16-2016, 03:47 PM   #380

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
The factory standard port to shore power is weak, cheap plastic, this we know. Not many options out there. Others solved the problem with a different, sealed unit and separate shore power line. Just beefed mine up without going for a replacement.

I cut up an old inner tube. I added a support shield made from thin aluminum to help keep the thing in place. Then secured it in the port with a home-made plastic bezel made from PVC.We’ll see how long this mod lasts.
Is there still room for the plug and the door to close? Picture with plug please. Thanks.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote