A few modifications to my 19 - Page 25 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-17-2017, 05:18 PM   #481

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFDavis50 View Post

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
Fritter and waste the hours in an off-hand way
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way

Tired of lying in the sunshine staying home to watch the rain
You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today
And then one day you find ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking
Racing around to come up behind you again
The sun is the same in a relative way, but you're older
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death

Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time
Plans that either come to naught or half a page of scribbled lines
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
The time is gone, the song is over, thought I'd something more to say

Home, home again
I like to be here when I can
When I come home cold and tired
It's good to warm my bones beside the fire
Far away, across the field
The tolling of the iron bell
Calls the faithful to their knees
To hear the softly spoken magic spell

So... go camping in an Escape!!!
The time is gone, the song is over, thought I'd something more to say

I want this on my tombstone . . .
citabria90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 06:01 PM   #482

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Back to work. Ever since Ron in BC showed us his brilliantly simple stow-away design of an auxiliary table extension made for eating when on the bed, I have been looking for my own thing for that spot.

Ron’s design wouldn’t work for me because I added a TV shelf in that corner. If I was Swedish, or worked at IKEA a solution wouldn’t have taken so long. Finally, my best, inelegant –and I know it, build is done, and here it is.

Used one old strap hinge, aluminum flat stock, 10-24 machine screws, off the shop floor scrap 1/2-inch plywood, cherry, paint. Josie likes it.
Attached Thumbnails
tabex1.jpg   tabex1a.jpg   tabex2.jpg   tabex2a.jpg  
Old 06-10-2017, 06:25 PM   #483

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Very neat Myron! From now on coffee and breakfast served in bed?
Old 06-10-2017, 07:08 PM   #484

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Red Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marry View Post
Very neat Myron! From now on coffee and breakfast served in bed?
Red is an old friend of mine. If women don't find you handsome, they can at least find you handy. No nails, screws or further modifications
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2858.JPG  
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 07:12 PM   #485

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
simple stow-away design of an auxiliary table extension made for eating when on the bed,

Josie likes it.
If I tried to eat in bed I'd be gently reminded that my food crumbs are only allowed in the dinette. Our primary use is just more flat surface to set food prep stuff on.

Actually Josie is looking puzzled as to why you haven't put her water bowl on the table that you made for her.

Great solution considering your existing space constraints. And, as always, done with a distinctive Myron style.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 08:50 PM   #486

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Back to work. Ever since Ron in BC showed us his brilliantly simple stow-away design of an auxiliary table extension made for eating when on the bed, I have been looking for my own thing for that spot.

Ron’s design wouldn’t work for me because I added a TV shelf in that corner. If I was Swedish, or worked at IKEA a solution wouldn’t have taken so long. Finally, my best, inelegant –and I know it, build is done, and here it is.

Used one old strap hinge, aluminum flat stock, 10-24 machine screws, off the shop floor scrap 1/2-inch plywood, cherry, paint. Josie likes it.
Very nice innovative mod Myron ! Tonight on the news they found a Jackson Polack painting in a garage they expect it to might bring in 15 million at auction . I like your table better . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 09:14 AM   #487

We seemed to always be using the bed as a lounge. The dinette seat street side has usually been a dump spot for the suitcase and/or a box of groceries, camera bag, bag of dog food. Nice to stretch out on the bed during the day, with dense pillows against the wall. Far more comfortable for reading than upright at the dinette. So not having a place to set a plate down became the issue.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:17 AM   #488

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
We seemed to always be using the bed as a lounge. The dinette seat street side has usually been a dump spot for the suitcase and/or a box of groceries, camera bag, bag of dog food. Nice to stretch out on the bed during the day, with dense pillows against the wall. Far more comfortable for reading than upright at the dinette. So not having a place to set a plate down became the issue.
Hi: MyronL... I thought everyone was born with a place to set a plate down. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 09:23 AM   #489

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Back to work.
Looks like a handy dandy table, Myron.
Quote:
We found we too used the dinette in the 19 as a marshalling area, often the front end of the table and both seats. We kinda miss that in the 5.0TA, and it forces us to keep things more organized when they come in, though some stuff does seem to migrate back to the dinette for temporary (well, not too temporary) placement.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 10:28 AM   #490
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
An airline tray table!

Myron, just make sure your tray table is stowed and your seat is in the upright position prior to takeoff.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 06-11-2017, 12:39 PM   #491

Roger that. Do have to see about a simple latch for take-off.
Attached Thumbnails
tabex3.jpg  
Old 09-13-2017, 10:23 PM   #492

A couple years ago ChrisR posted extraordinary, virtuoso cabinet work he did on his 5.0 that had me giddy with envy.

Inspired, I replaced my stock dinette table. Chose to do it with scrap wood from my junk bins and had fun with paint drips ala iconic 50’s painter Jackson Pollock.

Today I find I still need more foot clearance. It’s hard to crawl under there around them posts to check fuses. There’s always a big bag of dog food or a box of groceries to move. So now at it again, making another table, yet a tad smaller, but this time finding a way to eliminate the annoying front post.

With the last one I had fun painting the top. I always thought Pollock was a dark painter. I mean, his subject was the universe after a nuclear exchange. Needed something more cheerful. I’m going with 50’s retro i.e., Formica, and ChrisR’s very cool metal trim. (Remember them happy days?) In fact, my dad ran a candy store on Grove Street in the early fifties and he had tables made with the same exact stuff.

Yes, a much lighter, less ominous table top is needed. By the way I agree so much that with minor exceptions the trailer industry (listening Reace?) seems loathe to break away from its old-school, conservative design base. So retro here I come.

Had to go searching for Chris’ thread to learn the trim name and sources he used. It’s called “Alexandria molding, Metal Mira Lustre” and Home Depot here now only supplies it ordered online, $8.12 for 8 feet. They’re sending it from Oregon by snail mail.

Not all Home Depot’s carry raw sheets of Formica anymore. Too many damaged sheets, I’m told. I found one that did, and sure enough when I pulled out the pattern I liked best it had a crack, right in the center. Formica has this one big flaw. It’s brittle. In this case however, I was delighted, expecting they would knock off a big chunk of the full sheet price. Wrong. My only response was, ok, but where else do they sell Formica?

I found a custom cabinet maker shop in the city. For $20 cash I got a nice piece of Formica from their scrap bins. Happy days. Used water based contact cement to laminate used scraps of plywood in the garage to get my 15/16ths inch thickness.

The laptop/magazine rack I previously built that also holds the rear table post firm will keep things level but with the addition of a 20 inch long diagonal piece of angle stock running from the rear post to the front. Ball bearing drawer slides laid flat are for lateral movement when that’s needed.
Attached Thumbnails
tableN-1.jpg  
Old 09-14-2017, 12:20 AM   #493

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Good for you Myron, let's see a photo when you are done.
Old 09-14-2017, 04:50 PM   #494

Reduced to one post the table needed a stability check. This dry fit confirms the 3-point shelf connection plus angle support will keep a fairly heavy table top rock steady.

Open screw holes in the floor now the prime issue.
Attached Thumbnails
TableN-5a.jpg   TableN-5.jpg  
Old 09-14-2017, 06:52 PM   #495

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
Reduced to one post the table needed a stability check. This dry fit confirms the 3-point shelf connection plus angle support will keep a fairly heavy table top rock steady.

Open screw holes in the floor now the prime issue.
Almost as round as mine
Love what you did!!!
Old 09-16-2017, 03:58 PM   #496

Should have gotten my Home Depot table edge trim by now but… It’s been 3 days since their tracking service informed me, “An emergency situation or severe weather condition has delayed delivery. An estimated delivery date is not available…etc.” Heard nothing further. Landslide? Earthquake? 34-truck Interstate pile-up?

Rather than stew about it, am calling this delay a good chance to address minor other irritants.

I liked the new Formica better than my painted loud yellow fold away table at the bed corner, so re-did it from scratch. But new table now didn’t fold away right. Ended up removing TV shelf to adjust for fold-away table.

Since awhile back I added Ron’s ($80 IKEA) Lonset slatted bed base under the mattress it got raised 3 inches, resulting in more sleeping comfort for the back but less vertical space for the feet. Now I could reposition the TV shelf higher up. Chopped shelf down, re-attached to window frame and into cabinet frame support wood.

Smaller, neater, much better.
Attached Thumbnails
TVshelf2a.jpg  
Old 09-21-2017, 10:48 AM   #497

I like it, even though the hoped for back to the 50’s retro look doesn’t really sell. Maybe using pink Formica would have done it but that wasn’t ever going to happen.

Before bending the metal trim I first drilled a hole an inch from each end and at one end screwed the trim in place. Then to teach it slowly bent it around the table radius. That went very well, though the metal did spring back some.

Attached Scotch 3M “Extremely Strong 30 lb.” double-sided mounting tape to the back of the trim piece. It comes in 60 inch lengths but the table is 86 inches. I found a center point of the radius and left the tape 13 inches short at both end corners where the holding screws are. That looks to be no problem. Oh and the tape is a full inch wide so once stuck onto the metal I had to trim it with a very sharp razor knife.

Key concern was forcing the metal tight and right against the table before that strong tape had a chance to make correctional adjustments difficult. The tape needed some time to do its job - metal tried to bow out some, around the radius. To protect against that I used a 30 inch pipe clamp at the transition to the straight edge. Otherwise, no kinking or buckling anywhere.
Attached Thumbnails
tableFin1.jpg   tableFin2.jpg  
Old 09-21-2017, 11:11 AM   #498

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
I like it, even though the hoped for back to the 50’s retro look doesn’t really sell. Maybe using pink Formica would have done it but that wasn’t ever going to happen.

Before bending the metal trim I first drilled a hole an inch from each end and at one end screwed the trim in place. Then to teach it slowly bent it around the table radius. That went very well, though the metal did spring back some.

Attached Scotch 3M “Extremely Strong 30 lb.” double-sided mounting tape to the back of the trim piece. It comes in 60 inch lengths but the table is 86 inches. I found a center point of the radius and left the tape 13 inches short at both end corners where the holding screws are. That looks to be no problem. Oh and the tape is a full inch wide so once stuck onto the metal I had to trim it with a very sharp razor knife.

Key concern was forcing the metal tight and right against the table before that strong tape had a chance to make correctional adjustments difficult. The tape needed some time to do its job - metal tried to bow out some, around the radius. To protect against that I used a 30 inch pipe clamp at the transition to the straight edge. Otherwise, no kinking or buckling anywhere.
Nice work Myron ! Always good to change things up and get a different look sometimes . Now you are giving me that pin prick to change our table . After Chris R. gave me the source for the trim , the garage has 3 ,8 ft strips of moulding just waiting . I am just trying to decide on the table top . Really like the look and to get rid of the plastic . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:42 AM   #499

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Some things just shout out "50's" and that trim is one of them. Also reminds me of tables in 50's diners. Boy, you sure know how to add character to your trailer. I like the round end. It'll be a lot easier to get to the driver's side dinette seat.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:56 AM   #500

Thanks, Pat, Ron. The really big reason for the change was I just had to find a way to get rid of the front table post. We'll never need to convert the table into another bed so making it narrower and shorter for easier seating access was not a concern. It's all about the leg room.