A few modifications to my 19 - Page 32 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-27-2020, 11:24 AM   #621

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
My latest crunch was the last straw, very distasteful. Time to remove and re-think the tongue box. The two slits allow the finished box to sit very snugly down, within the tongue iron angle bars. Finished box will be about 21 inches tall. I also skim coated the plywood areas exposed to weather with Bondo fiberglass resin.

Expecting the jackknife problem and the box touching too close to the trailer and the propane shroud to end. Really liked them curved sides, but must do this with just what's currently handy in the garage.
Attached Thumbnails
tongbx4z.jpg   tongbx5.jpg  
Old 11-27-2020, 11:35 AM   #622

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Really liked them curved sides,
Me too, but my curved sides also ended up with a dent.

Glad you have a new project to work on.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 07:01 PM   #623

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Work the problem

On the box I made, I suffered a puncture from a rear corner bumper mounted SS eyelet I had previously installed for tying down a kayak. I had a ridiculous campsite back-up that was double turns of the rig, drop-off culverts at the entrance of the drive at both sides, railroad ties along the intended embankment placement....I could go on, but it was ridiculous and pathetic, and THE ONLY SITE OPEN. So everything is done in reverse with the vehicle. Double turns required. If the, ONLY IF THE, ground were dry, no problema. But it was not. An E350 full size Chevy van, RWD, is not very effective under all those conditions, pushing an Escape 19' backwards, uphill on slippery ground, thru multiple turns. It was the longest in time spent in back-up, but minimal damage done, and we had a swell evening.

But I digress

I ran a starboard side eyelet into my precious wood front box. Some duct tape for the moment sealed all, as it poured later, and afterwards at home I patched it all up.

Live and learn. I hope I live long enough to learn enough.

P.S. I've since removed those protruding eyelets, but keep them handy.

bon voyage,
HABBERDABBER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 07:16 PM   #624

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Jackknife

Though not for a while I’ve had my share of corners dinged up. Sometimes it happens to the best of them.

Iowa Dave
Old 11-27-2020, 07:23 PM   #625

Try, try hard, to keep the curves.

Make your curves a bit more severe. That should work. Or make the box shorter in length.

Your choices.

Then again, I didn't get it right 1st time either.
Attached Thumbnails
.jpg  
Old 11-27-2020, 07:52 PM   #626

We could write a 10-4 and rollin' song to that really beautiful work, Habberdabski. Yeah, we got us a convoy.
Old 11-29-2020, 12:00 PM   #627

I am a big fan of dadoes. Working with wood connections I always find a way to employ a dado. So strong, simple, functional. With this new, smaller tongue box the dado helps keep everything square and also creates a seam that’s better sealed against weather. The dado also works to reduce weight. My dado blades are ancient, they now have chipped carbide cutters, don’t produce a clean plow anymore, but I put up with that. This build requires using only scraps in the shop. Dado cuts decreases the klutz factor.
Attached Thumbnails
dados.jpg  
Old 11-29-2020, 12:09 PM   #628

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
I am a big fan of dadoes. Working with wood connections I always find a way to employ a dado. So strong, simple, functional. With this new, smaller tongue box the dado helps keep everything square and also creates a seam that’s better sealed against weather. The dado also works to reduce weight. My dado blades are ancient, they now have chipped carbide cutters, don’t produce a clean plow anymore, but I put up with that. This build requires using only scraps in the shop. Dado cuts decreases the klutz factor.
Hey Myron a biscuit joiner also makes a good joined joint . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 02:22 PM   #629

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA The Glass Inn
Quote:
Sharpen those blades. I just took in three 10" carbide blades to be sharpened. Two 60 tooth and one 80 tooth. He also replaced 3 teeth. $50.00 for the job. What a difference in the newly sharpened blades. Cut smooth as new, and also much safer.
rmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 03:01 PM   #630

Yes....but

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Hey Myron a biscuit joiner also makes a good joined joint . Pat

From the looks of his joinery, there's some pretty thin stuff involved... a thin sheet material. Biscuits just wouldn't cut it with those materials.
Old 11-29-2020, 03:17 PM   #631

I have a real nice 60 tooth carbide table saw blade. When it got dull, I took it to my local tool shop dealer. They sent it to Des Moines (about a hundred miles) it came back in about 5 days, it was as sharp or better than new, it was coated with protective plastic and well packaged. The counterman had estimated $21 but the actual cost turned out to be $18. It was well worth it to me. I do not own a dado set but did recently by a new hand planer for a project I want to do. A friend of mine has a big planer so there’s no reason for me to own one. I salvaged “scrap” western red cedar out of a dumpster (with permission on that one). I’ve had it for 12 years and recently used some on a “tool wall” project. I hate throwing good things away, waste just doesn’t seem right to me. At the right of the tools is about 1/4 o what I have left of the 1X6 tongue and groove cedar. I have two garbage cans full of short pieces. Due to the derecho, many birds lost homes in hollow trees so I’m going to make some birdhouses. I like seeing woodpeckers, wrens, creepers, nuthatches and bluebirds, all cavity nesters. I have birdhouses here at home and out at the farm and along a couple timbers that I frequent.
Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
702DA3F3-9A34-4178-B71C-30547763119Ba.jpg   657017DC-0212-44CD-8A05-28DF811A895Ba.jpg  
Old 11-29-2020, 04:01 PM   #632

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
the dado helps keep everything square and also creates a seam that’s better sealed against weather. The dado also works to reduce weight. My dado blades are ancient, they now have chipped carbide cutters, don’t produce a clean plow anymore, but I put up with that. This build requires using only scraps in the shop. Dado cuts decreases the klutz factor.
I agree, I use dados in a lot of projects. Your dado set is newer than mine. Mine was my father's, no carbide. Oh well, that makes it easy to sharpen.

I'm getting lazy. I always used to use the dado blade but now if it's only a limited amount to do I'll just bump the fence over and make multiple cuts.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 11:17 AM   #633

I like biscuit cutters, have two. Guilty: this Freud dado set served well and deserved better treatment. Maybe now I will search for a carbide tip repair guy.

Dry fit of the box is looking ok.
Attached Thumbnails
dadoFreud1.jpg   tongbx6.jpg  
Old 12-07-2020, 02:36 PM   #634

Got a ¾ x 2 x 4 inch plywood sheet, $19 at Home Depot, for the base floor. All the rest of the build is scraps found in garage. Compared to my old, smooshed box it is slightly less clean, mainly because had to correct errors in its size, but otherwise works fine. Bought a quart of Bondo all purpose putty.

Lid is a very crummy piece of ½ inch Plywood salvaged from the county dump (a favorite hunting ground). No amount of oil based paint will prevent that plywood from delaminating due to weather. Skim coated the lid with the Bondo. Oil based paint is Rustoleum.

Box contains Lithium battery, stabilizers crank, MPPT solar controller, solar panel wires, miscellaneous tools, hatchet, extra jacks, digital battery monitor. All essentials fit nicely. Hope I eliminated jackknife potential from contact with the tow bumper when backing up. We shall see. Made the new box large as I could. Box empty weighs a solid 40 pounds. Haven’t decided if a lid latch is necessary.
Attached Thumbnails
tongbx11.jpg   Tongbx9A.jpg   Tongbx12.jpg  
Old 12-07-2020, 03:11 PM   #635

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Thumbs up

Looking good and most likely beyond the reach of that bumper!
Old 12-07-2020, 03:13 PM   #636

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
That is great for people to see what will fit.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 03:42 PM   #637

So now what are you going to do the rest of Winter?

What's next up, maestro? I'm casting about looking for another mod, have some planned, but too cold (only freezing) to mess about outside.
Old 12-07-2020, 03:53 PM   #638

Pricey

Quote:
Got a ¾ x 2 x 4 inch plywood sheet, $19 at Home Depot, for the base floor. All the rest of the build is scraps found in garage. Compared to my old, smooshed box it is slightly less clean, mainly because had to correct errors in its size, but otherwise works fine. Bought a quart of Bondo all purpose putty.

Lid is a very crummy piece of ½ inch Plywood salvaged from the county dump (a favorite hunting ground). No amount of oil based paint will prevent that plywood from delaminating due to weather. Skim coated the lid with the Bondo. Oil based paint is Rustoleum.

Box contains Lithium battery, stabilizers crank, MPPT solar controller, solar panel wires, miscellaneous tools, hatchet, extra jacks, digital battery monitor. All essentials fit nicely. Hope I eliminated jackknife potential from contact with the tow bumper when backing up. We shall see. Made the new box large as I could. Box empty weighs a solid 40 pounds. Haven’t decided if a lid latch is necessary.
Myron, the plywood price seems a little high. I mean a piece the size of a cigarette package cost $19?. Just messing with you. Nice looking project.
Iowa Dave
Old 12-07-2020, 04:11 PM   #639

Trailer: 2019 17B; 2011 Tundra 5.7L Dbl cab
Great pics and description, measurements are really helpful - along with the pics of how you organized contents, once installed.
Thanks, and - nice work!
Old 12-07-2020, 06:06 PM   #640

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
From the looks of his joinery, there's some pretty thin stuff involved... a thin sheet material. Biscuits just wouldn't cut it with those materials.
3/4 material has worked for me ? Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote