A few modifications to my 19 - Page 33 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2020, 07:48 PM   #641

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Remember now, those are all outside measurements. My first dry fit did not take into consideration the space an opened lid would take up. I thought I had made allowances, but I was wrong big time. Fortunately coming up with a fix that was not nuclear only took a couple days. And, rabbet joints, rabbet joints, rabbet joints.

Thanks, I very much do appreciate the complements. Yes, so true, Habberdabber - doing nothing is the hardest thing I have ever done.
Old 12-07-2020, 09:19 PM   #642

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
3/4 material has worked for me ? Pat
Me too, for sure. But in reference to the photo posted by Myron earlier, it was a sheet material, likely fiberglass sheet, that was shown. A Triscuit, a biscuit,... whatever.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 10:56 PM   #643

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
Me too, for sure. But in reference to the photo posted by Myron earlier, it was a sheet material, likely fiberglass sheet, that was shown. A Triscuit, a biscuit,... whatever.
I was talking about the 3/4 ply . I know definetly won’t work with the sheet material . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 09:01 AM   #644

I just now ...caught my Typo. Meant to say ¾ inch x 2 x 4 FOOT plywood. I always proofread my stuff before posting - totally missed that one, Dave.
And this is the leftover plastic corrugated sheet I used (with a dadoed slot) for the front.

We just gotta get out more.
Attached Thumbnails
TngBx0cor.jpg  
Old 12-08-2020, 11:06 AM   #645

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Good project, Myron. With a $1000 battery sitting there, I would put a secure lock on it.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 02:27 PM   #646

Wish someone made a secure tongue box, or even something called a secure lock. I'm going with hiding in plain sight, and keeping my eagle eye.
Old 12-08-2020, 03:06 PM   #647

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Good project, Myron. With a $1000 battery sitting there, I would put a secure lock on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Wish someone made a secure tongue box, or even something called a secure lock. I'm going with hiding in plain sight, and keeping my eagle eye.
Myron: You already appear to have a box within the larger box for the battery. How about just add a lid to the battery box with some security head screws? You don't need access that often to a lithium battery. It would put the battery more out of sight, harder to remove and it would also allow you to store some small stuff on top of the battery footprint. Win, win, win.
Old 12-08-2020, 03:28 PM   #648

Exactly, Rubicon, and the lid gets covered/buried over, with maximum flotsam. Might also add a couple rat traps.
Old 12-09-2020, 01:27 PM   #649

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15B sold, 2019 Escape 19
Thanks for sharing, I think I’ll take some tips from your box design when and if I decide to convert to lithium, as I don’t have the box in the front of my e19. One thing I would add is some form of ventilation (temperature controlled fan?) as the closed box can get very hot under the sun, not a good thing for lithium or any battery.
Effie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 03:46 PM   #650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effie View Post
Thanks for sharing, I think I’ll take some tips from your box design when and if I decide to convert to lithium, as I don’t have the box in the front of my e19. One thing I would add is some form of ventilation (temperature controlled fan?) as the closed box can get very hot under the sun, not a good thing for lithium or any battery.
That's a good point about a closed box but Myron probably still has some head room as the Battle Born high temp spec is 135F. To start he might want to paint the top of the box white instead of blue to maximize reflection. Also I wonder if just some holes (one high and one low?) at the back of the box protected from rain and road spray might help to get a little circulation. If that is not enough then add the 12V fan you mention to one of the holes in the future so you have an intake and exhaust.
Attached Thumbnails
battleborn high temp spec.JPG  
Old 12-09-2020, 04:15 PM   #651

S.S. vent

I added one of these, rectangular one about 3" X 5" to an upper, rear portion of my box build to vent the battery hydrogen gas. Stainless steel, any similar vent would work. Big box home stores have soffit vents like this too.
Old 12-09-2020, 04:18 PM   #652

opps...image attached

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
I added one of these, rectangular one about 3" X 5" to an upper, rear portion of my box build to vent the battery hydrogen gas. Stainless steel, any similar vent would work. Big box home stores have soffit vents like this too.

Like these. Obtained from West Marine.
Attached Thumbnails
P000226993_1500.21022020103016.jpg  
Old 12-10-2020, 12:20 AM   #653

I started considering battery temperature after monitoring my own system. I have the two 6v batteries installed in the front by Escape. I added solar and a Victron battery monitor with temperature sensor. When the temp outside is only 85 the battery inside the standard black box is already 120 (sitting in the sun). I know it’s a different box and yes the lithium have built in protection but excessive heat will shorten the life of the battery, it’s probably a good idea to monitor the temperature and do something if necessary.
Old 12-10-2020, 09:38 AM   #654

When I cleaned out stuff in the first box a few weeks ago I noticed mice had gotten into it and them varmits had chewed up several cloth-based bags and a tie-down strap, and made a nice nest in the box from the built up chewed up fabric. Another price paid for not taking the trailer out because of the lock-down restrictions.

Since I probably made the new box back wall opening now even larger, to accommodate incoming wires, maybe a fan running in there would also scare off future squatters.
Old 12-10-2020, 11:58 AM   #655

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Effie View Post
I started considering battery temperature after monitoring my own system. I have the two 6v batteries installed in the front by Escape. I added solar and a Victron battery monitor with temperature sensor. When the temp outside is only 85 the battery inside the standard black box is already 120 (sitting in the sun). I know it’s a different box and yes the lithium have built in protection but excessive heat will shorten the life of the battery, it’s probably a good idea to monitor the temperature and do something if necessary.
I was wondering when someone would bring up this topic...

In planing my upcoming solar install I see that a temperature sensor is widely used in residential solar controller applications to protect the batteries. I have no idea if Escape installs a temperature sensor for the solar charging on the batteries but if so, why not a temperature sensor for the WFCO charging supply that can produce many more amps for a much longer time as it does not rely on the sun.

I also need to make new lid hold downs for my two black battery boxes on the tongue as the straps on the aftermarket boxes I purchased have broken after only 2 years. Having read a bit on solar, it appears that having batteries in a black container sitting in the sun is not optimal. I am thinking on a white hard cover over the lids at least on top. This will secure the tops and proved some relief from the sun.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 01:00 PM   #656

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
I was wondering when someone would bring up this topic...

In planing my upcoming solar install I see that a temperature sensor is widely used in residential solar controller applications to protect the batteries. I have no idea if Escape installs a temperature sensor for the solar charging on the batteries but if so, why not a temperature sensor for the WFCO charging supply that can produce many more amps for a much longer time as it does not rely on the sun.
I thought the battery temperature on the Victron battery monitor (user upgrade) was one of the variables in the battery state of charge algorithm. The solar controller and WFCO should compensate automatically for what the battery bank can take. Battery temperature is not needed to accomplish this. Experts please weigh in...
Old 12-10-2020, 01:49 PM   #657

The safe operating temperature range listed of my 100amp Battleborn lithium is
from -4°F to 160°F. I am O.K. with that. (But mice? No.)
Old 12-10-2020, 02:58 PM   #658

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Low temps was why I planned to move the new Lithium’s off the tongue and under DS dinette bench. Hadn’t thought about high temps being a problem, but being stored in Phoenix it is a good idea to be relocating them.
Now that I’m doing the preliminary wiring the other advantage to this location on the 19 is all the electrical services are right there and makes installation much simpler.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 04:22 PM   #659

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Low temps was why I planned to move the new Lithium’s off the tongue and under DS dinette bench. Hadn’t thought about high temps being a problem, but being stored in Phoenix it is a good idea to be relocating them.
Now that I’m doing the preliminary wiring the other advantage to this location on the 19 is all the electrical services are right there and makes installation much simpler.
I agree, the preferred location for the batteries is inside, you will reduce temperature issues. The reason I like to keep the tongue location is the space I'm loosing if I make the move.
Old 02-08-2021, 09:41 AM   #660

Fuse block WFCO

Have been having some trouble with my WFCO fuse block. One particular 15 amp fuse blew out twice, for no apparent reason. It was the 4th one down, protecting ceiling lights. Then another one, number 5, also began to flicker when I touched it. Found no detectable shorts causing this to happen. What to do?

No ceiling lights for no apparent reason. A few months ago I did some creative add-on lighting overhead in the dinette area and that kept blowing a fuse, until I tracked down and corrected the wiring. Seating a new fuse had caused odd sparking there. And when touching the fuse those two bulbs did flicker. That couldn’t be good. Decided not to wait for another mysteriously blown fuse. My best guess - Quite possible I may have inadvertently caused an internal spark or breach within the printed circuitry.

Went online, found a replacement fuse block, seen here. $21 from Boat and RV Accessories (Ohio). Notable is this replacement is identical except it’s lights are all LED. All good so far.
Attached Thumbnails
fuseblock1.jpg