A few modifications to my 19 - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2014, 12:56 AM   #81

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I don't have the box, but Escape moved my propane tanks 90 degrees and installed a side-wind tongue jack on my 17B. It involved some cutting and welding.
Attached Thumbnails
Tongue room.jpg  
Old 04-04-2014, 01:31 AM   #82

Here's another photo that may help you visualize modifications.
I assume that when Escape moved the tanks they did it as they would to make room for the box.
Attached Thumbnails
With WDH2.jpg  
Old 04-04-2014, 10:41 AM   #83

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Here's another photo that may help you visualize modifications.
I assume that when Escape moved the tanks they did it as they would to make room for the box.
Thanks for these. I agree, the design change was probably to incorporate the storage box but with the cover, it looks much cleaner as well. The side wide jack provides the clearance needed as the standard jack won't work with the tanks right against it. Do you know the distance between the trailer and the tank cover?
Buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:49 AM   #84

I can measure, but because the front of the trailer isn't perpendicular to the frame rails, it changes, depending where you lay the tape. Seems to me that the Escape box leans forward ( / / ).
Old 04-04-2014, 10:53 AM   #85

I looked at that and was thinking of cutting a wedge to sit on the frame to level, then plywood on top, possibly bolted to the frame with U bolts. The box would then sit on the plywood. So the measurement I am looking for would be just straight across from the trailer to the propane cover...
Old 04-04-2014, 11:08 AM   #86

I'll get measurements for you shortly.
Doing it the way you suggest will make for a considerably smaller box.
I'm thinking of using the space for some sort of bike carrier, but I'm in no rush since we don't have bikes.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:54 AM   #87

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Quote:
I can measure, but because the front of the trailer isn't perpendicular to the frame rails, it changes, depending where you lay the tape. Seems to me that the Escape box leans forward ( / / ).
The box sits flush to the frame, but it's back is canted forward to parallel the slant of the bottom half of the trailer.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:18 PM   #88

Measurements for box on modified 2008 17B.
Attached Thumbnails
Box Measure 1.jpg   Box Measure 2.jpg   Box Measure 3.jpg  
Old 04-04-2014, 02:14 PM   #89

Quote:
Measurements for box on modified 2008 17B.
Thanks so much, you went the extra mile.... So envious of the green grass and cherry trees in bloom.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:31 PM   #90

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Sorry have not been able to respond sooner. We are on the road.

If memory serves, my box is 15 inches wide, (that is,) deep. This made for a very tight fit. In fact, so tight I was forced to stop, disassemble the box frame -find a way to lower the box height- to gain space and eliminate the back of the lid's binding against the tapered front of the trailer. Fifteen inches is still a very snug fit front to back, right up against the propane tank shroud. It's working for me so far, in particular, the proportions.

As can be seen, my box is square at the corners. Never thought to make the back wall parallel to the trailer body's slight taper. "...back canted forward...etc." Suppose that could gain some interior area but ... not to my taste. From your 17 pix it is looking to me like I had about the same shallow "depth" to work with.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:22 PM   #91

Latest mod: bathroom grab-handle.

We have found the strategically placed grab handle to be a very helpful aid for keeping an even keel when climbing, balancing, standing up, sitting down, or any of all the other things younger knees and backs take for granted.

Never liked suction cup grab handles. Don't trust them. The problem in the bathroom was I did not want to drill 4 new holes in the walls. Solution was to employ the two screws already holding the shower head bracket. Could have drilled right through to the inside of the closet and used machine screws but slightly larger wood screws are working so far.

Made with 2x4 scraps and 1-1/8th inch dowel.
Attached Thumbnails
G-1a.jpg   G-2.jpg  
Old 04-28-2014, 10:17 AM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Well, after much hesitation, procrastination, etc etc., I bought the Winegard HD-ready hideaway VHF/UHF/FM omni-directional antenna, online. Curiosity, and a need to mess around made me do it.

Utilized the bracket for the awning to help keep the mast in place. It is a quick install. I really liked the Winegard antenna because of its portability. The Winegard drops firmly down into the top of the mast. Was not necessary to glue all the PVC together so it breaks down nicely for storage. Today finished the build of a new shelf for a small television, again, employing the screw of the roll-up shade as an anchor. Plugged it all in in the back yard and turned it on this afternoon. We here are about 20 miles from the television transmitters up on Sandia Peak. I was expecting reception would be good. In fact, it was sensational. Got 28 channels.

Now must go camping someplace to see how reception differs in an area not so ideal.
Myron, l've been pondering a retrofit TV antenna that is portable and breaks-down easily and quickly. Does this model antenna need to be rotated in different positions to maximize reception for different channels or is it truly " omnidirectional?"
Old 04-28-2014, 10:34 AM   #93

It must be omnidirectional. Note all four fold-out wings are equal. Have used it only twice and each time paid no mind to its orientation.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:53 PM   #94

We came home from a trip. I had forgotten to turn off the hot water switch and did not realize this until a couple days later. That big red light is on only during the opening fire-it-up moments.

Told Corrales Dave how upset I was about this. He had the same issue, and had a great solution. He installed a tiny LED that turns on whenever the red light turns off, so you can easily see the heater is on.

Even better, Dave had spares and gave me one, including the necessary resistor. Lovn' it, Dave.
Attached Thumbnails
HotWatr.jpg   HWater-switch.jpg   Hot04.jpg  
Old 06-12-2014, 07:03 PM   #95

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
We came home from a trip. I had forgotten to turn off the hot water switch and did not realize this until a couple days later. That big red light is on only during the opening fire-it-up moments.

Told Corrales Dave how upset I was about this. He had the same issue, and had a great solution. He installed a tiny LED that turns on whenever the red light turns off, so you can easily see the heater is on.

Even better, Dave had spares and gave me one, including the necessary resistor. Lovn' it, Dave.
Seems to be a very useful mod, Myron.

Jim Bennett posted a thread on a similar mod that he did quite some time ago. http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...itch-1165.html

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:26 AM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I installed several "night time easy on eye" red lights in my 19 with a microswitch to turn on/off plus a step light for those night time walks.
Jim,

How many single, red LED's are needed to sufficiently light the bathroom for those nightly visits?

Thanks!
Old 06-16-2014, 09:31 AM   #97

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Just one…..in my 19' the stock light being on the wall the night lite pointed down, in the 21 with the stock light on the ceiling, the night lite points out along the ceiling
Old 06-16-2014, 09:43 AM   #98

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:

Intermatic FF15MC Timer. Intermatic 15 Minute Spring Wound Timer FF15MC.

Would this switch solve this problem?
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:16 AM   #99

Well that's a good question. Short answer for me is probably no, because when camping I usually keep that hot water always on without thinking. I just need a bright reminder that it in fact is on, so not to forget to shut it off when hitting the road. Also wouldn't like adding that big plate to my walls. The factory plate is compact, neat, and my added LED keeps things simple.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:08 AM   #100

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
You may be right about the size. It appears to be the same size as the other wall plugs in Escape trailers. The hot water tank in my Escape stays hot for so long I just figured it would be convenient if it turned it self off after 15 min. Also, it operates on a spring so there isn't any phantom battery draw.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote