A few modifications to my 19 - Page 9 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-12-2014, 03:36 PM   #161

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamman View Post
Your door is too beautiful to be so low - you need to put it at eye level.
... or make a bunch more of them.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 03:53 PM   #162

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
I was on the other thread but I thought I could smell coffee wafting from this one!
Old 11-12-2014, 03:55 PM   #163

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Your turn Donna.
Old 11-13-2014, 02:00 PM   #164

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Nickle plated Hinges $2.89, knob, $1.89, at Lowes. Wood salvaged from select pieces from pile back in the yard-- adjustments made with table saw.

Love a good accent piece. Magna-cedarleski-rediosa. Hmm...Kentucky coffee wood? Got to see that.
Attached Thumbnails
hole5A.jpg   woodpile.jpg  
Old 11-17-2014, 11:30 AM   #165

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by markvt View Post
New storage /access door open
Now that you've paved the way and I can see how much space is available I've ordered two cabinet doors and hardware. Cost has gone up a little, they're now $65 CDN but that's still a good price.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 12:40 PM   #166

Trailer: Escape 19 26/May/2014 Sold New trailer 2016 Bigfoot 25B21FB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Now that you've paved the way and I can see how much space is available I've ordered two cabinet doors and hardware. Cost has gone up a little, they're now $65 CDN but that's still a good price.

Ron
Ron,
Is that $65 each or is that $65 for the two doors?
Mark

Mark & Karen Van Tiem 2014 Escape 19 sold, Now a Bigfoot 25B21FB Travel Trailer
markvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 02:01 PM   #167

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
...and of course each door comes with hardware, right?? Yes Ron, much space underneath the furnace. Just beware of the wires. Three are on a very short leash.
Old 11-17-2014, 02:05 PM   #168

I wish No, they're $65 each, but considering that's with the hardware I'm can still live with that price. I'm not sure what my wince factor is for top price but I'd probably have paid $75 each. Beyond that, 15* modified Shaker router bit, here I come.

Ron
Old 11-17-2014, 02:07 PM   #169

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: MyronL... It's time you came in doors!!! It's coffee break. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 03:56 PM   #170

Trailer: Escape 19 26/May/2014 Sold New trailer 2016 Bigfoot 25B21FB
Quote:
I wish No, they're $65 each, but considering that's with the hardware I'm can still live with that price. I'm not sure what my wince factor is for top price but I'd probably have paid $75 each. Beyond that, 15* modified Shaker router bit, here I come.

Ron
Ron,
I have to give ETI another hats off they quoted $35.00 each door including shipping and handling and that what they charged me. I most have been lucky enough to be the ETI Learning curve on the cost of the doors with shipping.
Mark

Mark & Karen Van Tiem 2014 Escape 19 sold, Now a Bigfoot 25B21FB Travel Trailer
markvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 06:57 PM   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by markvt View Post
New storage /access door open
Mine too

I made a template for the cut out, taped it place and used a utility knife to cut the panel and a hack saw blade for any solid wood.

I'm changing the plumbing. The black pipe will end up mostly out of sight along the top of the opening. I'm also going to replace the "S" trap with a proper "P" trap and vent it from there. So I should end up with an unobstucted space.

I've already tested it for holding a longish object that I wanted to carry out of the way but accessible and it's just fine for that. I'll probably also use it for misc. items. The one going under the furnace is already earmarked as my tool storage cuboard.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
22-11-2014 4-34-11 PM1_resize.jpg   22-11-2014 4-34-12 PM4_resize.jpg  
Old 11-22-2014, 07:16 PM   #172

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Big ass hole there, Ron. If I end up capturing all the unused spaces for storage, I definitely will never need a front box.....nice.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 07:27 PM   #173

Quote:
I'm changing the plumbing. The black pipe will end up mostly out of sight along the top of the opening. I'm also going to replace the "S" trap with a proper "P" trap and vent it from there.
I assume that's the sink drain, and that there is no plumbing vent to the outside in this location (because I only see one in the bathroom in ETI website exterior photos). So...
  1. Is there a separate trap out of sight (since the plumbing shown doesn't form a trap at all)?
  2. What is the purpose of the green-and-white flex hose visible in the cabinet (which presumably goes on the white hose barb at the Y-fitting just above the floor)? If it is for venting, I don't know where it would go... to a "cheater" interior air inlet vent?
Old 11-22-2014, 09:32 PM   #174

The trap by the sink is an "S" trap. It's probably OK even if not an approved type for residental type use. Given the amount of water used it's unlikely to ever siphon itself dry.

That green hose was on the white hose barb and it is indeed a vent. It runs vertically up the door frame to the roof. Because I'm working on the pipes anyway I'll run a vent from a new "Tee" that the waste arm and "P" trap will feed into. If that makes sense, sort of like how your home plumbing is vented.

Ron
Old 11-22-2014, 11:50 PM   #175

Trailer: 2014 19'
Question,

During our orientation Reace mentioned an internal 'automatic air vent' installed behind the aft bathroom wall and the gas furnace on our 19'. I was thinking that was for the sink(s).

The air vent on the roof above the bathroom is for the black tank? Or the bathroom sink? Are you aware of the internal air vent?

Glad to see what's in there, I was trying to picture it but never thought of an "S" and small hose to that vent, thanks!

Mel
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 12:13 AM   #176

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klem View Post
Question,

The air vent on the roof above the bathroom is for the black tank? Or the bathroom sink? Are you aware of the internal air vent?

Mel
As near as I can figure:
a. the kitchen sink is vented to the roof by the vent running up the door frame.

b. The bathroom sink may be vented but I haven't specifically looked for a confirming roof vent.

c. the black tank is vented in the forward inside corner of the bathroom running up to the roof. That's why the corner is a "45" not a "90".

Ron
Old 11-23-2014, 12:22 AM   #177

Trailer: 2014 19'
Quote:
b. The bathroom sink may be vented but I haven't specifically looked for a confirming roof vent.
Ron
I'll bet the internal vent would be for the bathroom sink. He pointed to the wall just inside the open bath door (left) and behind the wall.

Thanks
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 12:44 AM   #178

Quote:
The trap by the sink is an "S" trap. It's probably OK even if not an approved type for residental type use. Given the amount of water used it's unlikely to ever siphon itself dry.
Okay, but this is something other than the visible black drain/waste/vent piping, right? That bit doesn't have a low point so it isn't a trap.

Quote:
That green hose was on the white hose barb and it is indeed a vent. It runs vertically up the door frame to the roof. Because I'm working on the pipes anyway I'll run a vent from a new "Tee" that the waste arm and "P" trap will feed into. If that makes sense, sort of like how your home plumbing is vented.
Thanks. Makes perfect sense - I just don't see the external vent fitting in the photos... but then, the ETI website photos aren't the same trailer (just the same model).
Flex hose for the vent seems to me like a great way to follow the curve of the trailer wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klem View Post
During our orientation Reace mentioned an internal 'automatic air vent' installed behind the aft bathroom wall and the gas furnace on our 19'. I was thinking that was for the sink(s).

The 'automatic air vent' is the "cheater" air inlet that I was wondering about... but used for grey waste water on the bathroom side, rather than the kitchen side. The one roof vent I saw appears to be for the black waste tank, then.

Quote:
As near as I can figure:
a. the kitchen sink is vented to the roof by the vent running up the door frame.

c. the black tank is vented in the forward inside corner of the bathroom running up to the roof. That's why the corner is a "45" not a "90".
That all makes sense, with the 'automatic air vent' for the bathroom sink (and shower?)

Now change it all, Ron
Old 11-23-2014, 01:27 AM   #179

That's a pretty good possible explanation. I'll confirm it tomorrow when I open up the area under the furnace and look and see if there's a second roof vent on that side.

I've used cheater vents before in other applications and never had a problem. The only possible problem that venting a tank with one instead of household plumbing is that the tank could have a build up of pressure and the cheater vent, operating only in one direction to break a possible siphon, wouldn't reduce tank pressure. Probably not a biggie and in the Escape case the kitchen vent would allow proper venting since it vents the same tank.

Ron
Old 11-23-2014, 01:02 PM   #180

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
I have a vent in my passenger side wheel well. Is that just for the tank then. I had assumed it was the vent for the whole grey water system.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote