A few modifications to my 19 - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2013, 12:46 PM   #41

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
....If I had one I wouldn't loan it because then I would not be packing heat. That converter cover... thinking a two inch strip of electrical tape...there's some in my shop...no idea where it came from. 8)
JohnB, I woulda done the same thing you did. I first became aware of the switches' potential for freeking me out when, at a boondocking site, we walked into the trailer and no lights would come on and I didn't have a clue why.
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:56 AM   #42

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
hmmm... And how would a heat gun get itself from Calgary to Ottawa? There's definitely a bit of back pressure to overcome -- already too much hot air in this city.

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:58 AM   #43

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
My wife is from Ottawa, she might be in on it too.
And yeah, lotsa hot air their already.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:51 PM   #44

I know this latest little mod is a bit nuts but it was fun to do. Wanted a reading light over the bed. Figured I would do it myself, never considered having it factory installed. After browsing what’s out there I concluded the really neat light fixtures were too expensive and the rest were kind of cheap looking or boring. Alright, not boring, but a tad, a hair, a skosch, ordinary... like saying irradiated KFC is real food. These conclusions are probably not rational but they fit my pre-existing intentions nicely. Had a couple car lighting thingoes laying around, one using the tiny 194 bulb base, one the 1156, and a switch, plastic, aluminum, a Dremel tool.

At Home Depot, in plumbing, 1-inch diameter PVC looked like just the thing. I went with the 194 bulb base because I found it in my “too-good-etc” bin first. (It’s a deep, tangled bin.)

Have LED bulbs on order. Everyone needs “a glory.”
Attached Thumbnails
RL-1a.jpg  
Old 11-19-2013, 07:31 PM   #45

LED bulbs came in mail. Tried a comparison using my reading light. LED is 1 watt, incandescent bulb is 9.3 watts. Except for the obvious difference in color temperature if one bulb produced more actual light than the other I couldn't tell.

Used identical aperture priority setting in the camera for both. Note the brighter picture out the window for the LED shot. This means the camera used a longer shutter speed, which suggests the LED actually produced less light.
Attached Thumbnails
bulbs1.jpg  
Old 11-19-2013, 07:44 PM   #46

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Myron, Looks like you got the cool white vs the warm white led. I find the warm white better on my eyes. YMMV
Old 11-19-2013, 07:58 PM   #47

Totally agree, warmer is better.
Attached Thumbnails
Bulbs.jpg  
Old 11-24-2013, 03:45 PM   #48

Work in progress: a bumper bracket for an antenna mast.

1.) The metal part, actually used for anchoring a 4x4 to cement, works to grip the bracket to the bumper. Must yet drill holes for threaded rod in the wood, sealed with liquid resin, to clamp snug.

2.) The rest is complicated. That's a 1-inch x 6-foot length of PVC that's nested inside a black 1½-inch x 5-inch plastic tube. And... this sits into a 3-inch length of 1" dowel that's screwed up to the bottom plate. Have no recollection how I arrived at this configuration but can say it did come to me naturally. Seems to work at keeping the mast firmly in place while at the same time being very easy to slip apart for storage under the bed.

The mast itself likely will also be anchored up top somehow, to the awning bracket. Haven't got to that yet. Then, an antenna will somehow connect to the mast. We got a foot of snow here last night. A good day to stay inside and mess around.
Attached Thumbnails
ant-4a.jpg  
Old 11-24-2013, 03:47 PM   #49

Myron,
I assume you purchased your 19' used or if not, why did you not get the factory antenna?
Old 11-24-2013, 03:59 PM   #50

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Myron, I have been thinking of doing something like this so I can have an external cell phone antenna like RVSue and her canine crew . We have been using my cell phone as a "hot spot" more and more when we are traveling. This looks like it would work well for attaching the pvc mast to the Escape Bumper. Thanks much for posting it.

Leon
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 04:54 PM   #51

No Jim, we ordered ours brand new from the factory. I was simply unwilling to spend the money for the factory installed antenna. Reason is first, we just never ever felt any compelling need for television when camping, and, I am comfortable, I enjoy... searching out cheaper options. Sometimes this bites me in der arse, sometimes not. But...my ball, my game.

Hey now, Leon!
Old 01-01-2014, 08:30 PM   #52

Well, after much hesitation, procrastination, etc etc., I bought the Winegard HD-ready hideaway VHF/UHF/FM omni-directional antenna, online. Curiosity, and a need to mess around made me do it.

Utilized the bracket for the awning to help keep the mast in place. It is a quick install. I really liked the Winegard antenna because of its portability. The Winegard drops firmly down into the top of the mast. Was not necessary to glue all the PVC together so it breaks down nicely for storage. Today finished the build of a new shelf for a small television, again, employing the screw of the roll-up shade as an anchor. Plugged it all in in the back yard and turned it on this afternoon. We here are about 20 miles from the television transmitters up on Sandia Peak. I was expecting reception would be good. In fact, it was sensational. Got 28 channels.

Now must go camping someplace to see how reception differs in an area not so ideal.
Attached Thumbnails
mast01.jpg   mast01a.jpg   Tv03.jpg  
Old 01-01-2014, 08:44 PM   #53

Trailer: 2012 15A
And you also got to watch the outdoor classic from Detroit in the comfort of your Escape.
Your weather looks much better than the photos you posted a short time ago!
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:08 PM   #54

It was classic.

Got to love hockey. Never played the game. Yes, in my trailer I watched those guys play yesterday. It was amazing. Of the 5 most notable pro sports it remains for me the least understood, right after soccer and football.

Must confess, unlike the simple, elegantly linear play of baseball, given its obvious restraints I could never grasp the rules of hockey’s deeper, medieval if not torturous playmaking strategy. I get that in a race against the clock, the object is to score more points, goals, than the opposing team by smacking a hard, thick disk past a defender into a small net. Seems simple enough, not at all unlike basketball.

In basketball, five guys wearing shorts run up and down and around to spots where if they pass the ball to the guy closest to the basket he gets a clean shot at it. Given the inevitable pushing and shoving for position in a small space that strategy does require skill and could be moderately daunting. I notice you do essentially the same thing playing hockey but in hockey you are bulked up to keep warm on a cold, very fast, slippery surface, you are wearing ice skates, and everyone’s also wearing heavy gloves and swinging a really big stick.

Clearly insane.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:37 PM   #55

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21--FOR SALE
If you'd like another dose of entertaining hockey, catch the semis or the final from the World Juniors from Malmo, Sweden. These are the 19-and-under guys who will be the next generation of stars in the NHL.

Unfortunately, the reigning champions from the USA were eliminated by the Russians today, but Canada plays Finland, and host Sweden takes on Russia, on Saturday morning North American time. The action will be fast and furious in both games, made even more exciting by the bigger ice surface in the European arenas.

Not sure which network carries the Worlds in the USA. It might be ESPN.

Here's a link to TSN's online site: WORLD JRS
Old 03-13-2014, 04:08 PM   #56

Needed additional grab-support for safely entering and leaving. Found this nice handle at Lowes. Glued up 2x4's as spacers and cut to fit inside door, including 65° angle so the handle is easier to grab. Sank threaded inserts for 2 ea 1½" L ¼-20 hex bolts in the wood blocks. Made template from holes, drilled through screen frame side wall for bolts.
Attached Thumbnails
grab1a.jpg  
Old 03-13-2014, 04:37 PM   #57

Myron, see post #79 http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...-a-1657-8.html
mine is not quite as nice as your, but same principle.
Attached Images

Old 03-13-2014, 05:06 PM   #58

Jim where (curious) did you find that grab handle? I probably would have got the same one but saw mine at Lowes yesterday and couldn't resist it.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:32 PM   #59

I think from CW as it is a exterior type rv handle. You can also use one of those suction cup handles made for bathrooms on the outside for an assist. Amazon.com: Mommy's Helper Safer Grip 11.5" 40524: Baby
Old 03-29-2014, 07:20 PM   #60

I agree a storage box on the tongue is a practical addition. However, the Jack Benny inside me put up convincing resistance to paying the Escape price for one. Some folks have built really nice storage boxes; I had to give it a shot. I wouldn't be storing skis or an inflatable pontoon boat in there, just some wood blocks, spare jacks, a tarp, probably a rug for the entry step, maybe spare galoshes.

Here it is. The box weighs 32 pounds. I scrounge my wood at the county dump but additional materials cost $60, give or take.

The base and the lid are skim coated with fiberglass resin. The walls are a corrugated plastic sheet.
Attached Thumbnails
b-10.jpg   B-2AA.jpg   b-11.jpg