A little help on the e2 Fastway WDH installation!!! - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2019, 08:14 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
A little help on the e2 Fastway WDH installation!!!

Has anyone installed their own e2 Fastway WDH?

I just discovered that for two years, I have been traveling with an incorrectly installed setup. I am missing the spacer rivet and spacer washers. I want to install them myself, but I don’t have a 250 ft lb torque wrench.

Any help from a DIY person would be greatly appreciated. We leave tomorrow morning for Rally in Osoyoos and can’t find a shop that will do it without an appointment for next week.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9678.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	38907

Fred M.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 08:36 AM   #2

Trailer: 2012 E19
I once owned and self-installed an Equal-i-zer hitch. That was before they came out with the E2. I did not use a torque wrench and never had any problems resulting from that, but if you want to get one and use it, how about Harbor Freight? They are all over the Dallas area, if that's where you are. (I have one a mile away from my house, LOL.)
https://www.harborfreight.com/34-in-...nch-63883.html

The install instructions, when read and followed, should produce the correct height and tilt for the hitch head. It's not overly complicated, but not the same thing as slapping the parts together without doing the reading and the measurements. In your situation with missing parts, though, it gets a little more messy. Common washers from the hardware store could be used, although their thickness won't be the same so you can't go by "X" number of washers per instructions. And I don't know what you'll do about the rivet. I wonder if Progress Mfg (or a stocking dealer) can next-day-air you the parts?
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 01:08 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Fred
Where did you buy those new tires? Maybe you could set the nuts as tight as you can, (for me that would be 450 ft lbs) call the tire
Guys and find out of they have a bigger torque wrench or torque stick for Impact wrench that will go to 250 ft lbs. otherwise put a cheater on a good breaker bar and bear down. I don’t think you will twist it off. If your torque wrench goes to 150 now, , it’s not too much further to 250. Good luck. If you know any stock car or drag race guys that might be a chance too. My 18V Milwaukee impact goes up around 300 but I got no way to check it.
Iowa Dave
Old 05-04-2019, 01:57 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I didn't know til I got to ETI that I would need a torque wrench. I got one a week or so later...but until then, I stopped twice at different tire stores at the appropriate mileage intervals. I asked nicely if they'd do it for me, and I said I'd be happy to pay. Neither place would take any money and both said, "sure". maybe a guy wouldn't ask....but it's an option.
Old 05-04-2019, 02:16 PM   #5

I will ask anybody I think can help me. I even ask for directions. A guy told me to turn in my man card for asking directions. I told him I loaned it to his wife since they didn’t have one in the family. I find knowing who to ask a lot harder than asking. .
Iowa Dave
Old 05-04-2019, 05:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I will ask anybody I think can help me. I even ask for directions. A guy told me to turn in my man card for asking directions. I told him I loaned it to his wife since they didn’t have one in the family. I find knowing who to ask a lot harder than asking. .
Iowa Dave
LOL! What were you thinking!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8283.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	303.1 KB
ID:	38924

...never had an Escape"
Old 05-04-2019, 07:08 PM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
The perfect comeback! Nicely done.
Old 05-04-2019, 07:13 PM   #8

Hang in there Fred, I need another Spanish lesson and something seems perfect about getting my second lesson in Canada .
Dave
Old 05-04-2019, 07:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Hang in there Fred, I need another Spanish lesson and something seems perfect about getting my second lesson in Canada .
Dave

I got some Texas beer and Fireball shots. You’ll be whipping out that spanish in no time!

...never had an Escape"
Old 05-04-2019, 09:03 PM   #10

Trailer: 2006 8.5' Alaskan. 2008 Scamp 16. 2015 Escape 21
If you have a bathroom scale you could stand on it and bear down on a wrench that is 1 foot long until the scale reads 250 lbs. less, or 125 pounds less with a wrench that is 2 feet long. The wrench needs to be in the 3 o'clock position when you take your reading.
Ditchrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 11:41 PM   #11

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchrider View Post
If you have a bathroom scale you could stand on it and bear down on a wrench that is 1 foot long until the scale reads 250 lbs. less, or 125 pounds less with a wrench that is 2 feet long. The wrench needs to be in the 3 o'clock position when you take your reading.
Makes perfect sense. Wish I had known this when I installed my hitch ball a few years back.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 11:29 AM   #12

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I will ask anybody I think can help me. I even ask for directions. A guy told me to turn in my man card for asking directions. I told him I loaned it to his wife since they didn’t have one in the family.
Brilliant!

Quote:
I find knowing who to ask a lot harder than asking.
Agreed!
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 08:55 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Time for technical talk time (totally!): If you have a breaker bar with the appropriate-sized socket, and maybe a piece of pipe (a snipe) just big enough to slip around the breaker bar, to make your lever arm longer, do this.

For 250 ft.lbs torque, divide 250 by your weight in lbs. then multiply the result by 12. This result is the number of inches from the center of the nut to be torqued that you have to be to get your result. Stand (all your weight) on the bar (and maybe the pipe extension) at that point out from the center until it all quits turning.
Example: If I want 250 ft.lbs and I weigh 172: 250/172 x 12 = 17.44". so I'll stand on the bar about 17½" out from the center. It will be ballpark torqued to about 250 ft.lbs.
Cautions: (1) have something or someone to brace yourself. (2) If the breaker bar breaks, be ready for instant vertical acceleration downward. (AMHIK).
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 10:47 PM   #14

I’ve done the math a couple times. Looks like I’d only be about 8 inches from the center. I’d hate to scratch up my ankle on a lug nut on the way down if the breaker bar gave way. ( No Snipe needed) here in the Midwest we call them a cheater.
Have a good one.
Iowa Dave