About to paint exterior - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2016, 01:32 PM   #41

Trailer: 17
Nice two tone
Attached Thumbnails
2006 17 escape.jpg   2006 17.jpg  
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 01:57 PM   #42

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by gocamp View Post
Nice two tone
Hi: gocamp... The innocent shall remain faceless!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 01:59 PM   #43

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I don't think the fiberglass shell is so flexible that this would be a concern, compared to typical autobody panels. Large panels on a car or truck such as the hood are easily flexed more than the trailer body. If flexibility is a concern, the answer is the same as for the very flexible parts of a car, which are the end (bumper) caps: the same paint is used. There were flex additives added to paint for bumpers, but with changing paint products I don't think that is used much any more - documentation from the paint manufacturer would be the reference to check.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 02:04 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Don't know about junk, but when I see it I know it.
Yes, there is painted junk and unpainted junk; there are show-quality painted vehicles of all types and very nice gelcoat-finished trailers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
II wonder if the original poster was planing on painting the trailer him/her self. A professional would take all the "primers" as a day on the job. A do it your self-er would/could run into all kinds of trouble. Do many people paint their own car after body work?
Yes, some people do paint their own cars, and win shows with the result. But I agree with the point that a good paint job is expensive and difficult.
Old 08-31-2016, 02:12 PM   #45

Matching colours between vehicles, or even between parts on the same vehicle, is certainly a challenge. We painted our race car black, because it was the only colour which could readily be matched... including by repair tape and Tremclad spray cans. No, I'm not suggesting a black trailer.

I recall a few discussions of painting plastic parts of an Escape, primarily the propane tank cover but also various fittings, to avoid discolouration with time and to better match the body of the trailer. So apparently painting some plastic which doesn't require a paint finish is good, but painting other plastic which doesn't require a paint finish is terrible. Yeah, I get the scale difference, and it wouldn't make sense to spray an entire Escape with rattle cans of Krylon Fusion, but the degree of painting seems to me like an individual decision for an informed owner.
Old 08-31-2016, 03:05 PM   #46

Trailer: 2010 Escape 15A
I will be having the trailer professionally painted at the same place that did the Uhaul. They use the same paint used on airplane - very shiny and tough.
kkinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 03:15 PM   #47

Yikes! Well, I think it will look quite nice when done, and frankly, after painting the Uhaul, the surface was easier to keep clean and shiny. I had the Escape professionally cleaned, waxed/buffed, and gel coat just barely shiny. We'll just see how it looks when finished.
Old 08-31-2016, 03:31 PM   #48

Wow, yikes and go for it at the same time!

I love this group! I did consider a wrap, but it cost more than a custom paint job. Maybe because I am in the Bay Area! I know a Uhaul is not the same, but we sure got a lot of positive, fun comments on the color of it. I am looking at a blue/green color with some accent on the middle section. I really wish I could paint it the color of Crater Lake (attached), but don't want to go too dark. I will be dropping off the Escape after Labor Day so it's ready for the Lake Casitas Rally. I hope to see a few smiles (at least from the non-conformists). Kim
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20160813_125847794.jpg  
Old 08-31-2016, 03:33 PM   #49

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Kim, sounds like you will have a professional well done finish. I hope to see pictures when get it back.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 04:06 PM   #50

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Go Pro or Go Home. And I'd like to see the price. Here's my speed...a recent Krylon paint job.

By the way, I found a crisp insect that made a home inside there, evidently entered at the blue circle. Been planning to try the dog flea collar trick for behind the fridge. So I bought one and sliced off a tiny piece, shoved it inside the lamp housing.
Attached Thumbnails
Krylon.jpg  
Old 08-31-2016, 05:08 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkinna View Post
I will be having the trailer professionally painted at the same place that did the Uhaul. They use the same paint used on airplane - very shiny and tough.
That sounds promising. Although gelcoat finish was used for many years for sailplanes (the type of aircraft most commonly built of fiberglass), composite construction has become more common, and composite aircraft are now routinely painted. Even aircraft with factory gelcoat finish are routinely painted when they need refinishing.

There are multiple types and brands of paint used on aircraft, but there is lots of information from paint manufacturers and aircraft industry sources describing very clearly what products are suitable for fiberglass (normally referred to as "composite" in aircraft), and how to use them. Aircraft wings can flex a lot (especially the long-wingspan sailplanes that have been composite for decades), so the paint products used for them can certainly handle flexing.

Although any painting requires skill and expertise, many people have built their own aircraft (from scratch or much more commonly from kits) and many of those have painted them by themselves. Of course, amateur aircraft builders tend to be quite extreme enthusiasts, so what they have time to do and are able to do might be quite a stretch from what the typical travel trailer owner would be willing to do!
Old 08-31-2016, 05:57 PM   #52

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19'
Here's an idea...

Spray it with bedliner and add some fender flares and a lift.
Daubsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 10:13 PM   #53

New Paint Job on Escape 15A Done!

The paint job is done and our beautiful 15A is now back home. The trailer will be making it's "new color debut" at the Casitas Lake Rally this coming weekend. Hope to see some of you there! I want to thank you all for your comments and support on painting our Escape, as it is not done very often. We love how the color came out and what a great job our professionals at Rehorn RV in Sacramento did once again. Happy trails to all. Kim
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20161012_110903441.jpg  
Old 10-19-2016, 10:31 PM   #54
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
It looks beautiful.
Old 10-19-2016, 10:49 PM   #55

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: All... As I always say "Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder". Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 11:23 PM   #56

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Incredibly snazzy! You will get quite a reception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkinna View Post
The paint job is done and our beautiful 15A is now back home. The trailer will be making it's "new color debut" at the Casitas Lake Rally this coming weekend. Hope to see some of you there! I want to thank you all for your comments and support on painting our Escape, as it is not done very often. We love how the color came out and what a great job our professionals at Rehorn RV in Sacramento did once again. Happy trails to all. Kim
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 11:25 PM   #57

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
That sounds promising. Although gelcoat finish was used for many years for sailplanes (the type of aircraft most commonly built of fiberglass), composite construction has become more common, and composite aircraft are now routinely painted. Even aircraft with factory gelcoat finish are routinely painted when they need refinishing.

There are multiple types and brands of paint used on aircraft, but there is lots of information from paint manufacturers and aircraft industry sources describing very clearly what products are suitable for fiberglass (normally referred to as "composite" in aircraft), and how to use them. Aircraft wings can flex a lot (especially the long-wingspan sailplanes that have been composite for decades), so the paint products used for them can certainly handle flexing.

Although any painting requires skill and expertise, many people have built their own aircraft (from scratch or much more commonly from kits) and many of those have painted them by themselves. Of course, amateur aircraft builders tend to be quite extreme enthusiasts, so what they have time to do and are able to do might be quite a stretch from what the typical travel trailer owner would be willing to do!
My Genesis II sailplane came out of the mold with a thin layer of gelcoat. It was wet sanded down so most of the gelcoat was removed which also removed high and low spots and then painted with Standox Standocryl in Toyota 1U ultra brite white. It was then sanded with a 2000 grit finish. In 1999 that was a $3,000.00 option. Diamond Aircraft in Canada was also using Standox at the time.

It is true that many sailplanes are refinished with a Polyurethane Acrylic finish but that is partly because the German sailplane manufacturers used a really crappy gel coat during the nineties. A lot of Grob sailplanes from the eighties are still flying, sit outside all the time and don't have the gelcoat cracking of later models. They just get waxed a couple times a year.
I priced a DG 1001 a year ago and it comes standard with gelcoat. The PU finish was a $2,000. option but it is almost mandatory if you ever want to resell the glider.
An acquaintance in Texas refinished his sailplane and paid $10,000. Once the older thicker gelcoat starts cracking it takes a lot of sanding to get it thin enough to paint. And you can't damage the carbon or fiberglass cloth while sanding or you may affect the strength.

Nice paint job on the trailer. The Escape Graphics in white would also look good on it.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 12:20 AM   #58

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Wow, stunning!
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 08:05 AM   #59

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Fun, fun, fun! I like how the tongue and jack and storage box are also painted to match. And you did get to use some of that Mt Shasta blue that you liked so much.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 10:00 AM   #60

Trailer: Escape 19 26/May/2014 Sold New trailer 2016 Bigfoot 25B21FB
Wow !

Wow you difinitely have a one of a kind Escape Travel Trailer

Mark & Karen Van Tiem 2014 Escape 19 sold, Now a Bigfoot 25B21FB Travel Trailer
markvt is offline   Reply With Quote