About to paint exterior - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-30-2016, 11:10 PM   #21

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Don't do it! Bad idea. Unless the trailer's a 20 year old junk, an especially, really-really bad idea, bad like as in getting a tattoo up your arm up to your shoulder and on your neck. There are far better gel-friendly alternatives to an oxidized egg.
If I understand this correctly, this means that every single painted moulded fiberglass trailer has just been assessed as junk... without even seeing them! Also, my current Class A motorhome - with the factory optional full-body paint - has been assessed as a trashy cover-up compared to the white-box alternative... again unseen.

Really?

Certainly, bad paint is a bad idea. The original post was about painting a trailer, by an owner who has already has experience with a tastefully painted trailer, and who didn't say anything about slapping on a bad coat of housepaint. Again, I am looking forward to the result.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 11:12 PM   #22

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Over on fiberglass there's a whole list of about all of the fiberglass trailers ever made. I am against custom paint jobs because when I'm out on the road I'm already so confused most of the time I often say "what the H is that."' when I meet a vintage
trailer going the other way. Now somebody is starting a custom paint job on Escapes. The no graphics was bad enough, now I gotta put more spaces in my unknown column. It's just not fun anymore, I'm going back to road kill bingo.
Dave

A new goal for Escape appearance: fool Dave!
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 12:02 AM   #23

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post

Well I don't know what all the fuss is about. You can get textured rollers .... with a little thickener added to your latex house paint, you can not only have a new color but texture too.

Tom
Old 08-31-2016, 07:08 AM   #24

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Serious question: what types of paint are able to flex as needed on fiberglass? I would have thought it would likely crack.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 07:11 AM   #25

Trailer: A lovely 2017 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Like I always told my students when they told me they were getting a tattoo "It's permanent"
I learned the old saying the "love may come and love may go but tattoos are forever". Paint on the other hand can be changed when one wants, expensive if you can't do it yourself, but it can be changed. I say it's your trailer go for it if it makes you happy.

Edit: And they paint Corvettes, don't they.
Old 08-31-2016, 07:29 AM   #26

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
paint

They paint fiberglass boats that flex a lot more then our Egg trailers . Paint will stand up better to UV then gel-coat . If you let any fiberglass product stay out in the Sun to long oxidation takes place and sometimes it's very hard to bring back the shine . On fiberglass RV site they talk about Polly- Glo for protecting fiberglass.
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 07:39 AM   #27
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykatz View Post
They paint fiberglass boats that flex a lot more then our Egg trailers . Paint will stand up better to UV then gel-coat . If you let any fiberglass product stay out in the Sun to long oxidation takes place and sometimes it's very hard to bring back the shine . On fiberglass RV site they talk about Polly- Glo for protecting fiberglass.
It's true that fiberglass boats are painted all the time. Again, I see no technical reason why a fiberglass trailer shouldn't be painted. Paint will oxidize over time too. Whether the trailer is gelcoat or painted, it's important to have a high quality wax on the surface to prevent oxidation.

Poli-glo is one product that can be used to restore the shine to a heavily oxidized gelcoat surface, but I would never recommend it on a relatively new trailer whose surface isn't oxidized. Keep the surface maintained and protected with a periodic buff/wax, and Poli-glo won't be needed. It's one of those products people use because the surface has been neglected for too long.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 08-31-2016, 07:46 AM   #28

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven M View Post
I learned the old saying the "love may come and love may go but tattoos are forever". Paint on the other hand can be changed when one wants, expensive if you can't do it yourself, but it can be changed. I say it's your trailer go for it if it makes you happy.
Steven you are absolutely correct that paint can be changed and now even tattoos can be removed. My saying should have a footnote; "except with the expenditure of a lot of money". I'me fine with folks doing either tattoos all over themselves and painting a fiberglass trailer, just 2 things I'd never do to myself or my trailer.

And again in the wise words of Donna YMMV

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 08:04 AM   #29

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Serious question: what types of paint are able to flex as needed on fiberglass? I would have thought it would likely crack.
Both Epifanes and Interlux offer a high quality marine paint. While expensive, you don't need lots, and it holds up very well.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 09:04 AM   #30

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Don't know about junk, but when I see it I know it.
Attached Thumbnails
Paint-this.jpg  
Old 08-31-2016, 09:38 AM   #31

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
until recently (I think) the Corvette has a painted fiberglass shell.

Prep And Paint Guide - How To Repair, Prep, And Paint Your Corvette - Corvette Fever Magazine

and they turn out nice!

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...96952266-L.jpg
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 10:15 AM   #32

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
That's a great primer (no pun intended) on painting fiberglass. A few highlighted quotes....
  • "...body restoration and paint is one of the most labor-intensive endeavors you'll ever encounter.
  • "Expert paint work is very expensive and it's tempting to save some of that costly work with a little sweat-equity.
  • "...it is easy to get in over your head or end up with results that fall far short of your dream.
  • "We've seen enthusiastic but botched attempts...that resulted in perpetually unfinished projects, and more work for professionals that finally took over.
  • "...be realistic in qualifying your own skill levels."
My point: Do no harm. The Escape trailer, like the human arm, is a beautiful thing as is.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:26 AM   #33
Site Team

I've always thought a trailer painted the exact same color as the tow vehicle looks really sharp. Of course, to get a quality paint job in such a case is big prep, and big bucks.

Old 08-31-2016, 10:35 AM   #34
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I've always thought a trailer painted the exact same color as the tow vehicle looks really sharp. Of course, to get a quality paint job in such a case is big prep, and big bucks.
Mine is! White truck with black trim. White trailer with black decals.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 10:37 AM   #35

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Mine is! White truck with black trim. White trailer with black decals.
Now I understand! We have been buying the wrong color TVs!!

ps. my truck is white too.
tdf-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 10:58 AM   #36

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
That's a great primer (no pun intended) on painting fiberglass. A few highlighted quotes....
  • "...body restoration and paint is one of the most labor-intensive endeavors you'll ever encounter.
  • "Expert paint work is very expensive and it's tempting to save some of that costly work with a little sweat-equity.
  • "...it is easy to get in over your head or end up with results that fall far short of your dream.
  • "We've seen enthusiastic but botched attempts...that resulted in perpetually unfinished projects, and more work for professionals that finally took over.
  • "...be realistic in qualifying your own skill levels."
My point: Do no harm. The Escape trailer, like the human arm, is a beautiful thing as is.
II wonder if the original poster was planing on painting the trailer him/her self. A professional would take all the "primers" as a day on the job. A do it your self-er would/could run into all kinds of trouble. Do many people paint their own car after body work?
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 11:49 AM   #37

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Has anyone put a vinyl wrap on one of these trailers? I see them on vehicles all the time advertising this and that business. I thought it'd be kind of cool to have that on a trailer.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 12:58 PM   #38

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post

If you're in California, it's easy: just paint the trailer a variegated smoke color.
It'll blend right in with the air from over 180,000 acres of fires (so far this year).
Dave will never even see it. Of course, if it's yours you'll never find it
once you leave it.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 01:14 PM   #39
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Mine is! White truck with black trim. White trailer with black decals. [emoji23]
Well yeah, mine's white too. But, still not an exact match. You know what I mean. For instance, I love the Ford color "Ruby Red Metallic". A truck and trailer combo, both with that color? Ooh la la!

Old 08-31-2016, 01:16 PM   #40

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykatz View Post
True, but every fiberglass boat I've ever sailed or driven had a hull that was much ticker and more stable than my Escape. I understand that fiberglass CAN be painted. I'm wondering what paints can FLEX that much with out cracking?
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote