Accumulator Installation - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2019, 12:44 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Accumulator Installation

There was a recent thread about quieting a water pump that sort of wandered around into batteries and all manner of things, so I thought I'd start a new topic dedicated to the accumulator (at least in the beginning).

I just installed a Shurflo accumulator in our 19. "SHURFLO Black 182-200 Accumulator Tank" available through Amazon and others. I opted to plug one side (vertical stub on the left) and install it into a tee in the line as shown, rather than trying to fit it in series. This is covered in their instructions. Vertical orientation should help drain it when winterizing. I'm starting off with about 40 psi in it.

I used SharkBite connectors, including the really cool swivel connectors on both sides of the accumulator. Mounting to the structure was easy since ETI conveniently placed those two supports where they did.

In the background you can also see the three-way valve that I use to pull anti-freeze into the plumbing each year.

All for now. Happy trails!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Accumulator Installation.jpg (155.6 KB, 54 views)

Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 01:49 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Many of us have done that mod. and it's well worth doing. Nice to be able to get a little water without having to turn on the pump. For those of us who turn off the pump between uses.

Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP0016_resize.JPG (322.5 KB, 24 views)

Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 01:54 PM   #3

What sort of air pressure do you try to keep in the accumulator?
Old 09-20-2019, 02:18 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I did mine quite awhile ago. The installation instructions did say what the pressure should be. I don't remember what pressure I put in it but it was less than the max pressure. Worked really well and never felt the need to do anything to it after that.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 02:37 PM   #5

I didn't see that, but I'll have another look. Too much pressure and it won't hold as much water; too little and it won't push as much water back into the system.
Old 09-20-2019, 02:55 PM   #6

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Says to set accumulator pressure equal to pump cut-in (turn on) pressure which for most of us with Shurflo 4008 pumps is 40 PSI. Irrelevant to setting the accumulator but Shurflo pump cut-out is 55 PSI.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shurflo 182-200.JPG (90.7 KB, 3 views)
Old 09-20-2019, 03:02 PM   #7

Oh, excellent! I took it to my garage and pumped it up to 40 psi with a bike pump before installing it. I like the way they explain it. Thanks for posting that.
Old 09-20-2019, 03:05 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
There was a recent thread about quieting a water pump that sort of wandered around into batteries and all manner of things, so I thought I'd start a new topic dedicated to the accumulator (at least in the beginning).

I just installed a Shurflo accumulator in our 19. "SHURFLO Black 182-200 Accumulator Tank" available through Amazon and others. I opted to plug one side (vertical stub on the left) and install it into a tee in the line as shown, rather than trying to fit it in series. This is covered in their instructions. Vertical orientation should help drain it when winterizing. I'm starting off with about 40 psi in it.

I used SharkBite connectors, including the really cool swivel connectors on both sides of the accumulator. Mounting to the structure was easy since ETI conveniently placed those two supports where they did.

In the background you can also see the three-way valve that I use to pull anti-freeze into the plumbing each year.

All for now. Happy trails!
You’ve been busy ! You will be very happy with your new setup ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 03:14 PM   #9

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
Oh, excellent! I took it to my garage and pumped it up to 40 psi with a bike pump before installing it. I like the way they explain it. Thanks for posting that.
From your picture it looks like you have an Artis pump not a Shurflo but the specs should be pretty close. If anything your cut-in pressure might be slightly lower. The accumulator charge should be fine at 40 PSI, but to be certain you can always search your exact model number online and find the specs.