Adding a back-up camera - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2011, 10:07 PM   #1

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
Adding a back-up camera

I would like to add a back-up camera to the back of my 17B to assist me in backing into treed campsites. Is there a wire available for that purpose in the exterior wiring?

Trailer - 17B - "Minnie" Escape

Look out backroads--here I come!  Quietly (maybe), Serenely (possibly), With Respect... (always!)
Nancy B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:29 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Re: Adding a back-up camera

Hi: Nancy B... I don't believe there is a dedicated wire put in for the reverse lights, unless it's ordered when the trailer is built. There are, however, several styles of reversing cameras, some of which are wireless transmitters. I'm sure a competent RV Dealer could install one for you. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:12 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150

I played around with a couple of wireless cameras, and have not found any of them reliable. They work OK over a couple of feet the way they would be used in a car, but the distance to the back of a 17B is pushing the transmitter's limit.

I'm having (or had, since the photos from Tammy show it already installed) a wired back up system installed on the 17B they are currently building for me. I purchased a 2 camera system, one for my RAV4 & one for the trailer from Rear View Safety. I don't see the combination I purchased at their web site (I went with a 5" monitor) but there are a couple of 7" versions. The kit can be ordered with different cable lengths, and a disconnect to go between the trailer & tow vehicle.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:24 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

One thing I would never do would be to trust a camera on the back of the trailer as a reversing guide, but it would be great as a safety aide. With two people the second set of eyes is much more reliable than a camera. If they are lousy at giving directions, just have them stand at the point you want the side of the trailer to aim at. If alone, check the space good first, and then again while backing in if needed.

If there is some maneuvering to do to get into the spot, what I prefer to do is place a tire shim in the spot I want to hit with a tire, and just back up on to it.

I have a backup camera on my car, and other than useful for safety reasons ensuring the path is clear, the only practical use it has is that I can stop the car at the exact point of hitching. I find the wide angle distortion something I would never trust to guide me.

Others may trust them for guidance though.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:25 AM   #5

Hi: All...On the new truck I bought I made sure it has power windows! That way I can hear the crunch once I've landed. The power mirrors are great too, to see if my wife is still standing!!! Alf
Old 04-05-2011, 11:52 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Alf, I suppose you use the tall grass along the side of the road as a warning to wake up when you hear it brushing on your hubcaps?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:38 PM   #7

We have a B-up camera on the RV and basically it's a useful tool, but I agree with Jim.. You can't just use it back-up as it doesn't give you the true field of view and sometimes the glare makes it really hard to see.. what is extremely useful is the Audio portion of it.. I can definitely hear Liana giving me the low down on what to do..

There are a ton of 3rd party cameras that attach to the licence plate and I did install one on my truck to assist in hitching (when we had the AS).. But I quickly got rid of it as it turn out to be a "crap" and got my money back.. The one I got attached to the brake light ( that's how it got power and activated) and did have enough cable to run the transmitter box to the front of trailer (if you used for that). The crazy thing was I actually picked up signals from other wireless cameras as the one I got was GPS & B-up camera all in one. So I would be driving down the street and all of sudden the GPS LCD display would start showing someone else's camera.. again it was "crap"..

favorite quote: "Put the candle back"
JeffZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:47 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna

Costco has a couple that appear to have the quality of the Voyager system for just rear viewing as one drives. I am uncomfortable not being able to see totally behind. I have seen the iBall ads, for just hitching, but don't know anything about the quality. and am contemplating that as well.
Good luck.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett
Alf, I suppose you use the tall grass along the side of the road as a warning to wake up when you hear it brushing on your hubcaps?
Hi: Jim Bennett...and thanks for the idea!!! I usually use the rumble strips...but that only works on the multi-laners!!! Alf
Old 04-05-2011, 07:56 PM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA

I prefer to leave tug/tow in the travel lane and quickly get out and survey the area. Looking for sharp stuff on the ground I would just prefer not to drive over (broken bottles, etc.) and look for low spots I don't want to park a tire in. It takes 45-60 seconds of visually looking at a spot to scope it out. Once I've done that I can back in just to clear the road, then get out again and decide how much further I need to back up... or swing one way or the other. If it's six feet.... I visualize six feet and when the drivers door window gets to that spot... I'm done. Haven't backed into a tree yet!

YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:19 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA

My back up cam sits in the passengers seat, never backed into anything yet
so she must work pretty good
Old 04-04-2015, 11:11 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
So, I get it about not totally relying on the camera for backing up. Are they helpful, for safety reasons, when driving down the road in traffic? Remember, I've never had a 5th wheel before now/September.
MacMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 11:16 PM   #13

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan View Post
So, I get it about not totally relying on the camera for backing up. Are they helpful, for safety reasons, when driving down the road in traffic? Remember, I've never had a 5th wheel before now/September.
Love ours for going down the road especially in places like LA, Salt Lake, etc. See our website for pictures and details.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 12:05 AM   #14

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
Love ours for going down the road especially in places like LA, Salt Lake, etc. See our website for pictures and details.
We also like to see what is behind us going down the road . We have the Voyager and it is wireles . We had Escape install for us . We got it to them before trailer was finished. Also when backing up can hear person real well .
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 06:00 AM   #15

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Could well be different towing with a car as opposed to a full size truck but in 9 years of towing the only times I've wondered what was back there was when backing. With the trucks I can see both sides of the trailer in the mirrors without extending them which may not be the case with a smaller vehicle. I suppose if you think you may want one it's better to buy it and send the cables to ETI for install during the build.
Old 04-05-2015, 06:30 AM   #16

Trailer: 2014 19' Named Bailey
We love being able to see behind us as we tootle down the road. Nice to know if a little car is sitting behind us and to see how our bikes are riding! Our camera also has audio so I can hear all the instructions I am given when trying to back up into a campsite.... Luckily it isn't two-way audio, so she doesn't hear my swearing at her instructions!
FishBioGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 09:32 AM   #17

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Could well be different towing with a car as opposed to a full size truck but in 9 years of towing the only times I've wondered what was back there was when backing. With the trucks I can see both sides of the trailer in the mirrors without extending them which may not be the case with a smaller vehicle. I suppose if you think you may want one it's better to buy it and send the cables to ETI for install during the build.
Our camera sees right behind the rear of tire on trailer . You won't be able to see there otherwise . We have a full size truck and can see fine without any mirror extensions .
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 02:11 PM   #18

Trailer: 2018 19 (& previously 2014 19)
I love, love, love our backup camera. It is just great for driving on busy highways and knowing how much room you have for changing lanes. Ours has guidelines. And we have audio, too. I am sure people can get to know lengths with their mirrors, but for a beginner (which we were last year) it was so helpful.
RooBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 07:48 PM   #19

Trailer: 19' - Oct 2o15
Quote:
Originally Posted by RooBarb View Post
I love, love, love our backup camera. It is just great for driving on busy highways and knowing how much room you have for changing lanes. Ours has guidelines. And we have audio, too. I am sure people can get to know lengths with their mirrors, but for a beginner (which we were last year) it was so helpful.
Which camera do you have ?
Wired or wireless ?

Thank You.
uw
OWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 09:33 AM   #20
GCS

Trailer: 1976 Aljo
I have no problem is using a camera as a backing aid. Have one in my vehicle and it's clear as a bell. Not sure about the wireless units though. Will have to research. I would like to see Escape offer a fiberglass tire cover that I could use to mount the camera. I will think of something. I'm pretty sure though that this is the way I will go. Even if I have to go aftermarket or have one made. I would install around hub with a smoke cover to protect it and prevent theft.
GCS is offline   Reply With Quote