Adding After Market Front Storage Box - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2015, 06:22 PM   #41

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Jon, if you upsize TV and trailer, you can do mods again to your heart's content and won't need more extra storage. But you have done so much on that one that you might be glued to it.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 06:26 PM   #42

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Reace turned the propane tanks 90 degrees ( so they are side by side ) to accommodate the plastic propane tank cover. Had to replace jack too. The space that resulted looks perfect for a storage box.
Attached Thumbnails
Tongue room.jpg  
Old 04-12-2015, 06:33 PM   #43

Here's a few shots with ruler.
Attached Thumbnails
Box Measure 1.jpg   Box Measure 2.jpg   Box Measure 3.jpg  
Old 04-12-2015, 06:51 PM   #44

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
Jon, if you upsize TV and trailer, you can do mods again to your heart's content and won't need more extra storage. But you have done so much on that one that you might be glued to it.
Ain't that the truth! I already have my eye on a 19' for its full size table & bed, or even a 5.0TA, but my 17 is getting more & more the way I want it...
Old 04-12-2015, 07:26 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
I believe the 17' requires a frame modification.
Actually, my mistake, I was repeating someone's mention of the frame. I was thinking that the 17' mold actually required a modification. Who knows?
Old 04-12-2015, 07:28 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Ain't that the truth! I already have my eye on a 19' for its full size table & bed, or even a 5.0TA, but my 17 is getting more & more the way I want it...
We look forward to your announcement, Jon. Just glad we did not do a whole lot to ours. We went to some trouble all right but not too bad.
Old 04-13-2015, 12:15 PM   #47

Trailer: Escape 19 26/May/2014 Sold New trailer 2016 Bigfoot 25B21FB
Another Spring Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Mark, that's a custom Reace build. If you want that storage box, you have to buy it from Escape.
From 6/13/14

This is what happens when you listen to Donna. My front Escape Storage Box arrived just this morning delivered by Dave himself. I order the Storage box back in August 2014 it arrived about two week early of the one year anniversary of us receiving our Escape 19 trailer. The moral of the story is Donna know best!!!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0556.jpg   IMG_0557.jpg  

Mark & Karen Van Tiem 2014 Escape 19 sold, Now a Bigfoot 25B21FB Travel Trailer
markvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 12:46 PM   #48

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Well, I'm sorry to Offend" (Wow, I actually used an emoticon) but I added a StowAway II box to my 17B. The reason is I wanted some additional outside storage for a small propane tank for my stove & grill, and an additional fuel can for the trips where my 15 gallon tow vehicle tank is a bit scary.
As you alluded to with the reference to the license plate, this setup can be added or removed as needed. This is a big bonus for people like me, that don't need the bulky looking storage box on the front, but do need to carry something the odd time. I have a light aluminum rack that works great back there.

Maybe it comes from owning my trailer before the front box became an option, but I never did warm to how it looks, much preferring the cleaner look without it. BUT, function can overtrump looks, when it is really needed. Some day, when going on multi-month trips, it might become a need for me too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 04:24 PM   #49

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19 "Tortuga"
from Barb @ ETI: I’ve spoken to Reace about the install. It appears to be quite extensive. Are you proficient at welding and re-locating the propane tanks? Your trailer is a 2010 model which I believe has the propane tanks vertical on the front of the trailer. These will need to be moved so they’re horizontal. You’ll also need to replace the tongue jack with a side crank instead of a top crank. Are your batteries inside the trailer or mounted on the front?
There are some supports that need to be welded into place prior to installing the storage box.

I decided to put it off till I can go up and have it done by ETI or maybe just not have a front storage box.

steve
flatpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 07:52 PM   #50
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by markvt View Post
From 6/13/14

This is what happens when you listen to Donna...... ....The moral of the story is Donna know best!!!
hahahaha, you give me more credit than I desire! I'm glad it all worked out for you, must have been meant to be
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 10:47 PM   #51

Trailer: Escape 19 26/May/2014 Sold New trailer 2016 Bigfoot 25B21FB
Donna D
I was wondering how long it would take you to find that posting. Hope everything is going well for you and your trailer.
Mark

Mark & Karen Van Tiem 2014 Escape 19 sold, Now a Bigfoot 25B21FB Travel Trailer
markvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:37 AM   #52

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Well, I'm sorry to Offend" (Wow, I actually used an emoticon) but I added a StowAway II box to my 17B. The reason is I wanted some additional outside storage for a small propane tank for my stove & grill, and an additional fuel can for the trips where my 15 gallon tow vehicle tank is a bit scary.

Some general information for those thinking about the box:

StowAway recommended the swing version, which is heavier than their standard mount, but they felt I would not be able to open the top if I purchased the standard version unless I added an extension that left the box hanging out too far from the back of the trailer. I believe I could have gotten away with the standard non swinging version and saved some weight; the next time I get to Oregon I might stop by to see them & see if I can work out a lighter solution. I ended up adding a total of 145 lbs (box & stuff) to the trailer weight.
Followed Jon's lead and added a standard Stowaway2 box to the rear of the 19'. The decision to do this was based on the fact that the factory front storage box was cost prohibitive to crate and ship to NJ. Although it appears it was done for markvt to Wisconsin a few years back, Reace declined to send one to the eastern U.S. with a shipment of trailers due to the complications involved. I can understand this.

So a bit of information to expand on Jon's experience if anyone is considering one of these. A representative from Stowaway called after I placed the order and also said I needed the swing-away version. I declined and told them I would use an extension or custom weld something. They relented and sent me the standard fixed box. It works well with an 8" extension that was purchased at a trailer shop, but Stowaway also sells a 7" extension. To get the box a bit closer to the trailer we actually cut 2" off the box support tube and drilled a new hole. The standard mount saves about 30 pounds versus the swing-away version. The receiver was reinforced at the factory (500 lbs?) so no issues in my mind as far as weight derate with the extension. The box and hardware are only about 65 lbs total and only plan to put max 100 lbs in the box, even though it is rated for 200. We are well aware of the potential effect on tongue weight, but with dual propane and dual 6V's up front we don't anticipate a problem. Interesting to note that the trailer came with a factory 4 prong harness, but we concluded they switched the function of green and brown in the trailer and didn't stay consistent with the harness. Swapped two connections under the back bed and we were in business.

Hope this all helps if anyone decides to go this direction for more storage. I know aesthetics has been mentioned as a negative of the rear box but we actually think the eggshell white rotomolded polyethylene (think kayak) is a nice complement to the white trailer. Another consideration that I have not seen mentioned is that it also provides some rear end protection for the trailer. I'll try to post a picture or two of the final set up.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 12:33 PM   #53

Trailer: pondering.....
Would be nice if StowAway made a roto-molded front storage box for the Escape trailer....
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 12:44 PM   #54

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Interesting to note that the trailer came with a factory 4 prong harness, but we concluded they switched the function of green and brown in the trailer and didn't stay consistent with the harness. Swapped two connections under the back bed and we were in business.
Confusion between green and brown in trailer wiring is common, because the colour code used for 4-pin flat connectors (and other styles following SAE standard J560) is not the same as the colour code established a few decades ago for the RV-style 7-pole blade connector. That means, for instance, that the combined right turn and stop wire in the 7-pin from tug to trailer should be brown, but the same function in the 4-pin at the back should be green.
  • tail - brown in 4-pin, but green in 7-pin RV
  • right turn / stop - green in 4-pin, but brown in 7-pin RV
  • left turn / stop - yellow in 4-pin, but red in 7-pin RV
  • ground - white in both
If the 7-pin is wired to the conventional pattern (still followed by Bargman, the traditional and probably original manufacturer of this connector), there will be colour changes in both left and right signals between the 7-pin and the 4-pin. Some manufacturers advocate following J560 colour coding even with the old 7-pin RV connector, so you can't reliably conclude anything from the insulation colour of wire attached to one of these connectors until you check it to determine what coding was used.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 01:01 PM   #55

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
Would be nice if StowAway made a roto-molded front storage box for the Escape trailer....
There are lots of boxes intended to be mounted on a trailer tongue, even roto-moulded in white high-density polyethylene (e.g. Buyers 1701679). They fit the A-frame so they don't hang over the sides, but that means they don't protect the front corners of the trailer body (and of course neither does a rear box).

The bigger problem is likely the size - they are likely too long (front-to-back) to fit between the body and the propane tanks; the one I linked is probably 5 inches too large in that direction to fit, given the size discussion early in this thread and baglo's illustration of dimensions. These boxes are usually used on cargo trailers rather than travel trailers, so competing for space on the tongue with propane tanks is not normally an issue.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 01:11 PM   #56

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
There are lots of boxes intended to be mounted on a trailer tongue, even roto-moulded in white high-density polyethylene (e.g. Buyers 1701679). They fit the A-frame so they don't hang over the sides, but that means they don't protect the front corners of the trailer body (and of course neither does a rear box). The bigger problem is likely the size - they are likely too long (front-to-back) to fit between the body and the propane tanks.
yes ....A few hundred Escape boxes a year may not pass ROI on the rotomold tooling...but one can dream of an alternate box.
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 02:28 PM   #57

yup, what we need is a heated box.
Old 06-02-2016, 02:43 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Confusion between green and brown in trailer wiring is common, because the colour code used for 4-pin flat connectors (and other styles following SAE standard J560) is not the same as the colour code established a few decades ago for the RV-style 7-pole blade connector. That means, for instance, that the combined right turn and stop wire in the 7-pin from tug to trailer should be brown, but the same function in the 4-pin at the back should be green.
  • tail - brown in 4-pin, but green in 7-pin RV
  • right turn / stop - green in 4-pin, but brown in 7-pin RV
  • left turn / stop - yellow in 4-pin, but red in 7-pin RV
  • ground - white in both
If the 7-pin is wired to the conventional pattern (still followed by Bargman, the traditional and probably original manufacturer of this connector), there will be colour changes in both left and right signals between the 7-pin and the 4-pin. Some manufacturers advocate following J560 colour coding even with the old 7-pin RV connector, so you can't reliably conclude anything from the insulation colour of wire attached to one of these connectors until you check it to determine what coding was used.
Brian B-P, thank you for the explanation. I had a feeling it had to do with wiring methodology. Someone at ETI, probably just quickly matched the colors without thinking much about it. With the brown and green backwards I had both tail lights blinking with right turn signal and with tail lights I just got a dimly lit right turn signal. This explains why I also had issues on my fathers previous Scamp when wiring in a 4 prong harness. It was the exact same issue with the green and brown wires. It all makes perfect sense now!
Old 06-02-2016, 02:58 PM   #59

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA has gone to a good home in Manitoba. Now Class B+ owners sadly not an Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
yup, what we need is a heated box.

To put the kids in during a winter trip?
Old 06-06-2016, 02:19 PM   #60

Pictures

Here are a couple of pictures of the set up with the rear Stowaway cargo carrier with fixed frame option on the 19. We moved the box as close to the tire as possible while still retaining the ability to open the lid enough for full functionality. Dual hitch locks and hitch tighteners are used on an 8" hitch extension. We are going to experiment with flipping the outboard hitch tightener over to avoid the possibility of the studs hitting on a steep driveway apron. I hope this helps if others are considering this as a storage option.
Attached Thumbnails
stowaway rear.jpg   stowaway1.jpg