Adding After Market Front Storage Box - Page 7 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2016, 03:32 PM   #61

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Can you easily remove the box to access the spare?
I found I couldn't turn the tire wrench on mine. I had to alter the set-up so that I could take the box off the rack.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Storage box.jpg (246.7 KB, 14 views)

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 03:40 PM   #62

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I think what I would do if I needed storage back there is remove the spare from its bracket and home-build a tall box that sat on the bumper. Then mount the spare on the front of the box.

Old 06-06-2016, 03:42 PM   #63

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Everything inside the storage box will be inside two bins that can be easily lifted out. Then it is as simple as loosening the outboard hitch tightener and unlocking and pulling the outer hitch pin and whole rack will slide out. Not terribly convenient, but something we are willing to deal with in the (hopefully unlikely) event of a flat.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 03:58 PM   #64

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
We moved the box as close to the tire as possible while still retaining the ability to open the lid enough for full functionality. Dual hitch locks and hitch tighteners are used on an 8" hitch extension.
If you re-mounted the spare much lower, and off to one side (preferably toward the side which currently carries less load) so it clears the hitch, could you use half as much extension and still fully open the lid (over the tire, instead of behind it)? The tire would be behind the bumper and very low, but if anything drags in a dip, it seems likely to be the box. The box could even be raised by an offset extension to help clearance.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 05:48 PM   #65

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
I think what I would do if I needed storage back there is remove the spare from its bracket and home-build a tall box that sat on the bumper. Then mount the spare on the front of the box.
I think that's probably similar to what I'd do also if I wanted a rear box plus the spare. I'd probably just weld a 2" square tube to the bottom of the spare tire holder and use the receiver for it.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 05:56 PM   #66

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
I think that would look better too, as well as put the weight of the box and contents forward. Maybe if there was room, the spare could go in the box too.
Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 06:12 PM   #67
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Honda 0234 over on FGRV cut a plastic box and mounted it around his spare on the back of a Scamp, looks real cool like the old time car "continental" kits The Continental Kit – “That Tire On The Back:” By Rick Feibusch - forgottenfiberglass.com
Old 06-06-2016, 09:18 PM   #68

Trailer: 2014 17B
Does someone have the dimensions of the ETI storage box for a 17? I wonder if it is deep enough to store our chairs.
dunnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 03:09 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
If you re-mounted the spare much lower, and off to one side (preferably toward the side which currently carries less load) so it clears the hitch, could you use half as much extension and still fully open the lid (over the tire, instead of behind it)? The tire would be behind the bumper and very low, but if anything drags in a dip, it seems likely to be the box. The box could even be raised by an offset extension to help clearance.
Thanks for the advice. I looked at this closer and the furthest outboard part of the fixed support bracket would be most prone to hitting pavement before it sweeps up with a 7" rise to the box mount. I'm taking your suggestion and moving the tire over and down just a couple of inches. This will allow for a 10" rise receiver adapter. This will place the box just high enough for the lid to open over the tire and it will move the box forward against the tire.

I could only find one 10" rise adapter that will work. The only modification necessary will be drilling a new hole on the lower shank so the adapter can be fully inserted into the Escape receiver. Depends exactly where we drill the hole, but at a minimum it will be a 6.25" extension. This will set the face of the extended receiver just behind the outboard face of the tire by about a 1/2" which is perfect.

BX88132 10” Rise/Drop Receiver, 5,000 lbs, 10-1/2” long | Blue Ox

I'll try to post a pic or two of the "final" set up.
Old 06-18-2016, 09:42 PM   #70

Here is a picture of the final setup utilizing the Stowaway cargo box. The Blue Ox 10" rise receiver worked out perfectly. Tire was moved over a few inches on a new bracket (towards the passenger side) to clear the riser. Hitch pin hole was redrilled to be as outboard as possible to clear tire. Tire height was not changed. This setup puts the box up higher so it is not prone to dragging in a dip and as close to the tire as possible to reduce the cantilever effect. The cargo box lid also now fully opens over the top of the tire. Thanks Brian B-P for the suggestions!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (169.1 KB, 27 views)