Adding After Market Front Storage Box - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2014, 08:27 AM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: Marksalot... I'm old enough to remember what cars from the 30's looked like. A trunk was usually just that a trunk strapped to the rear of the car.
One thing the 5.0TA has is storage. We just don't have enough STUFF!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1030738.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:08 AM   #22

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
We just don't have enough STUFF!!!
That particular problem seldom fails to solve itself...

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:34 AM   #23

Trailer: Escape 19 26/May/2014 Sold New trailer 2016 Bigfoot 25B21FB
Hi Ron in BC I like your front storage box I think it gives your trailer a nice clean look on the front tongue.
markvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:44 AM   #24

Trailer: Escape 19 26/May/2014 Sold New trailer 2016 Bigfoot 25B21FB
3]I decided to get the ETI storage box for my 19 and spend the $700. What really helped justify the cost is obviously the storage, but the front mounted box also serves as a rock guard. It's hard to have too much storage and the box coming as a factory option also increases the resale value more than an aftermarket.
Mark I 100% agree with you and in hind sight if I had to do it over again I would of order the factory storage box.
markvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:28 AM   #25
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by markvt View Post
Mark I 100% agree with you and in hind sight if I had to do it over again I would of order the factory storage box.
Maybe you can get ETI to ship one on the next delivery truck heading your way. Might be worth asking about.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 11:45 AM   #26

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Maybe you can get ETI to ship one on the next delivery truck heading your way. Might be worth asking about.
I agree that it's worth asking about, but I have the same concern that I did when this was previously discussed: the trailer delivery truck is set up to deliver trailers, not a loose bulky fiberglass box that could easily be damaged just by strapping it down. It could be crated, but that will put the cost up further.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 01:57 PM   #27

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I agree that it's worth asking about, but I have the same concern that I did when this was previously discussed: the trailer delivery truck is set up to deliver trailers, not a loose bulky fiberglass box that could easily be damaged just by strapping it down. It could be crated, but that will put the cost up further.
I don't think it would be difficult at all to ship. More fragile stuff gets shipped all of the time all over the world. If you are really concerned, One option may be to have it shipped inside one of the trailers on the truck. It should fit through the door and with a bit of padding could probably be set down on the hallway floor of a 19 ft or 21ft.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 03:17 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
I don't think it would be difficult at all to ship. More fragile stuff gets shipped all of the time all over the world.
Sure, but typically not on open deck trailers or trucks set up for hauling trailers. As I mentioned, a crate - or at least a wooden base - could fix this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
If you are really concerned, One option may be to have it shipped inside one of the trailers on the truck. It should fit through the door and with a bit of padding could probably be set down on the hallway floor of a 19 ft or 21ft.
If you were getting your new Escape trailer delivered to you, would you want someone else's huge fiberglass box wrestled into it, then later unloaded by one truck driver, perhaps with the assistance of a random stranger? Maybe... maybe not. They're not cargo trailers.
Old 06-15-2014, 04:21 PM   #29

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
...If you were getting your new Escape trailer delivered to you, would you want someone else's huge fiberglass box wrestled into it, then later unloaded by one truck driver, perhaps with the assistance of a random stranger? Maybe... maybe not. They're not cargo trailers.
You are probably right on that point.

As for shipping the box on an open truck, I would be fine with that provided it is done with care, preferably with some kind of protective wrap. Of course, this is all speculative since my 19' already has the front fibreglass box.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 04:45 PM   #30

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Does the trailer not require a frame modification to take the front storage box? I thought the frame was extended a little to accommodate the box...

If that memory is accurate, you might not be able to add the box after the fact...

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 05:24 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey View Post
Does the trailer not require a frame modification to take the front storage box? I thought the frame was extended a little to accommodate the box...
Unlike the enormous thing available on the front of a 25 foot Bigfoot (25B25), the Escape box doesn't involve any frame lengthening... but there are brackets to consider.
Old 06-15-2014, 05:36 PM   #32
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Unlike the enormous thing available on the front of a 25 foot Bigfoot (25B25), the Escape box doesn't involve any frame lengthening... but there are brackets to consider.
Depends on the year of the build. If purchasing a used trailer, it may require a change to the front of the frame. Starting with turning the bottles.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 06:46 PM   #33

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
but there are brackets to consider.
Yes, there are, up to mine but not anymore after mine

Before mine, it was common practice to weld on two transverse pieces of angle iron to support the batteries if a tongue box wasn't ordered.

I asked them not to weld on the angle iron because I knew that I was going to fabricate a tongue box and I would have to cut them off or put large slots in the bottom of the box. They bolted the angle iron on to hold the battery and when I got it home I unbolted the angle iron, chucked it, and put on my tongue box.

I talked to Dennis at the Rally. He said that bolting instead of welding has now become the way they do it. So any trailers ordered in the future without a tongue box have easy to remove battery supports.

If you have the previous version and want to add a tongue box you have three choices: slot the bottom of a box so it fits over angle iron: install blocks of wood so the bottom of the box is above the angle iron or buy, if you don't have one, a cheap angle grinder and cut the welds.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 07:46 PM   #34

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Hi: Marksalot... I'm old enough to remember what cars from the 30's looked like. A trunk was usually just that a trunk strapped to the rear of the car.
One thing the 5.0TA has is storage. We just don't have enough STUFF!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Cars from the 30s are some of the best lookin vehicles ever built, (before my time tho) but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Fiberglass sure does look great. I try to find a balance of stuff. It's an ever changing game of, do I really need this? I focus on having a good time and stayin healthy.

Mark
Blizzy and Dakota (Da Boyz)
MarksAlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:55 PM   #35

Quote:
I'm old enough to remember what cars from the 30's looked like. A trunk was usually just that a trunk strapped to the rear of the car.
Yes, but the car body ended right behind the wheels, and there was no storage space in the body. It's quite different with a trailer.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:53 PM   #36

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Cutting slots makes the most sense to me and that's what I did. Slots act as drain and as position holders for the box. My battery containers just need longer bolts. Of course, my box is made with wood.
Old 04-12-2015, 03:48 PM   #37

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
No one be OFFENDED. But I think rear storage boxes destroy the looks of these beautiful trailers.... but, I do understand the need for more storage expecially for "icky" things.
Well, I'm sorry to Offend" (Wow, I actually used an emoticon) but I added a StowAway II box to my 17B. The reason is I wanted some additional outside storage for a small propane tank for my stove & grill, and an additional fuel can for the trips where my 15 gallon tow vehicle tank is a bit scary.

Some general information for those thinking about the box:

StowAway recommended the swing version, which is heavier than their standard mount, but they felt I would not be able to open the top if I purchased the standard version unless I added an extension that left the box hanging out too far from the back of the trailer. I believe I could have gotten away with the standard non swinging version and saved some weight; the next time I get to Oregon I might stop by to see them & see if I can work out a lighter solution. I ended up adding a total of 145 lbs (box & stuff) to the trailer weight.

I also had to make a new hole in the Escape for a 4 pin trailer hookup for the lights on the StowAway II box. I didn't really need the lights on the box for the running & brake lights since I have the upper LED lights on the trailer, but I'm concerned that someone is going to insist that I move the license plate to the box. I can see it next to the box, but I have no idea what different "authorities" feel is proper visibility. I'd rather not move it since I'd have to relocate it each time I added or removed the box.

I did have to move some stuff around to get the tongue weight back up to an acceptable amount. Currently, the trailer weighs in at 3140 lbs, and the tongue at 335 lbs. The trailer handles well, with no sway from trucks etc (although I do tow at 55 - 60 MPH.)
Old 04-12-2015, 06:06 PM   #38

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey View Post

If that memory is accurate, you might not be able to add the box after the fact...
I believe the 17' requires a frame modification.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 06:08 PM   #39

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
No one be OFFENDED. But I think rear storage boxes destroy the looks of these beautiful trailers.... but, I do understand the need for more storage expecially for "icky" things.
I do, also, as far as front box, too. But now that we have used one, it seems as if all of those chocks and blocks and slinky stuff need to be kept outside.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 06:21 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
I believe the 17' requires a frame modification.
Since only one length is specified by Escape for each model, I don't think even the 17' gets a frame stretch to accommodate the box (it's relatively shallow front-to-back), so any modification should just be to brackets.