Adding After Market Front Storage Box - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2014, 07:10 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 19 26/May/2014 Sold New trailer 2016 Bigfoot 25B21FB
Adding After Market Front Storage Box

I am now thinking that I should have added a front fiberglass storage box on my new Escape 19 trailer at the time of purchase. But at the time of purchase I just wanted to keep the total cost of my trailer under $32000 dollars. Which we did but now I am thinking I got have a front fiberglass storage box. So my question is does anyone know where one can purchase the same fiberglass storage box that ETI uses ?
Thanks
Mark
markvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:33 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Mark, that's a custom Reace build. If you want that storage box, you have to buy it from Escape.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:34 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Only place I know of is ETI.
It's their design and build.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:45 PM   #4

Thanks Donna & Gbaglo that's kind of what I was afraid I was going to hear. Well the next question is any recommendations for a aftermarket fiberglass storage box as an alternative to ETI ?
Old 06-13-2014, 08:38 PM   #5

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Let's see....a trip to Escape for your box would take you through Glacier NP, Montana (great fishing), Idaho...who knows?? Of course you already know that is the BEST option...

Quote:
Originally Posted by markvt View Post
Thanks Donna & Gbaglo that's kind of what I was afraid I was going to hear. Well the next question is any recommendations for a aftermarket fiberglass storage box as an alternative to ETI ?
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:57 PM   #6

Who knows there is a 30 day camping trip to Alaska on the bucket list! ETI is most likely will a mandatory stopping point.
Old 06-14-2014, 12:06 AM   #7
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
You could get some quotes for having a fiberglass shop build one locally, then compare that to ETI price plus freight. Then you could have stainless hardware instead of the rusty latches problem.........

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 12:45 AM   #8

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
Some very nice boxes that hook into the rear receiver too. I'd have one of those if it wasn't already used for my bike.
Greggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 10:37 AM   #9

Greg that's a great thought the rear mounted storage boxes is probably easiest way to go for now.
Old 06-14-2014, 10:51 AM   #10

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
You have to watch the weight of the rear mounted box. I got the lightest cargo platform I could find at etrailer.com and I think it alone was 75 lbs. Then you add the box and contents. I try to fill it with light weight bulky things.

And, you have to ensure that you can remove the box to access the spare tire. I found I couldn't turn my cross-shape lug wrench because it would hit the box. I had used u-bolts with the nuts inside the box to secure it. Would have been a real hassle if I'd had a flat.
Attached Thumbnails
Storage box.jpg  
Old 06-14-2014, 11:45 AM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
No one be OFFENDED. But I think rear storage boxes destroy the looks of these beautiful trailers.... but, I do understand the need for more storage expecially for "icky" things.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 01:32 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape 19, 2018: Last Best Escape
Not to muddle the discussion but I notice this photo on the StowAway website. Anyone know the owner of the indistinguishable-named Escape? And their experience with the StowAway?

Might be a worthy alternative to the front storage box.

KSitte
Attached Thumbnails
Escape with StowAway.jpg  

Honda Pilot 2019
ksitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 03:17 PM   #13

Time to get the tape measure out I'm thinking that maybe with a few modifications I could make a stowaway Cargo box work on the front of my Escape 19
Old 06-14-2014, 03:56 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Time to get the tape measure out I'm thinking that maybe with a few modifications I could make a stowaway Cargo box work on the front of my Escape 19
The measurements are made more tricky because of the front sloping wall of the trailer. You can see from my photo of the framework of the box I made that the bottom is noticeably wider than the top. While it is a little more work to accomodate this situation the payoff is an increased volume for storage.

In my case, it allowed me to put two group 29 batteries fore and aft and have full height storage on both sides.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
28-04-2014 5-19-16 PM4_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 03:58 PM   #15
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Someone else can confirm, but I think the ETI storage box measures 14 inches front to back.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 05:41 PM   #16

Rod I'm just thinking out loud why not move the propane bottles inside stowaway box. With propane being heavier than air just vent the bottom and the back side of the stowaway container and I think you would be plenty safe. I know you would use some of the space inside the stowaway container but I think you would still have a lot more space left to use for other kinds of storage .Then I would just move my single battery in front of the stowaway container . Now this is only a back burner project my first project is to install drawers under the bed has seen here on this forum done to so many Escape 19 trailers.
Old 06-14-2014, 06:17 PM   #17

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I wouldn't do that. For a couple reasons. First, it upsets my sense of visual graded proportionality. Put another way I think the look would be the same as if you just bolted a big steamer trunk onto the tongue. Of course, if you needed to stuff two kayaks in there well, that would be different. My other reason is, the factory way makes changing tanks as easy as it can be. (If it ain't broke...etc.)
Old 06-14-2014, 06:33 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Someone else can confirm, but I think the ETI storage box measures 14 inches front to back.
By comparison, mine is 18" on the bottom and 14" on the top.

Mark: No, there's no reason the propane tank can't share the box if properly vented. In fact I did that on my Scamp 13.

However the Escape 19 is an entirely different situation with dual propane tanks. It just makes sense to me to use the propane tank cover for the two tanks and keep the box for other things. I thought about combining the two by making an extended box similar to the Bigfoot but I really don't see any gains doing that. Maybe slightly better aesthetics but keeping the tongue box separate from the propane tanks does make ease of access better for both functions.

To each his own

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
09-04-2012 8-19-40 PM  002_resize.JPG   09-04-2012 8-19-40 PM  003_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 10:36 PM   #19

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
No one be OFFENDED. But I think rear storage boxes destroy the looks of these beautiful trailers.... but, I do understand the need for more storage expecially for "icky" things.
Another thing to keep in mind is that a rear box adds to the total length of the trailer, which makes for an even more expensive ferry ride to "The Island." Sigh...
Glennrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 07:03 AM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I decided to get the ETI storage box for my 19 and spend the $700. What really helped justify the cost is obviously the storage, but the front mounted box also serves as a rock guard. It's hard to have too much storage and the box coming as a factory option also increases the resale value more than an aftermarket, or a custom built one. Not to offend anyone's choice, but the rear mounted ones look to me like a small car rear-ended the Escape and became one with the queen bed. Need to carry my bike on the back of my Escape too. IMHO

Mark
Blizzy and Dakota (Da Boyz)
MarksAlot is offline   Reply With Quote