Adding Protective Coating on the Wheel Wells - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 01-05-2017, 10:27 AM   #41

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Which one are you using Tim?
I'm using TireTracker and part of the reason was that it has a rechargeable battery that holds its charge for weeks at a time without having to be plugged into an AUX outlet in the tow vehicle. (And it does! Just turn it off at the end of the day and back on in the morning and goes for a couple of weeks) They also have a "lifetime" warranty and when I need to, I deal directly with the owner. Link: TireTrakerâ„¢ TPMS - Tire Pressure Monitoring System

TireMinder has just made some upgrades to their system so I'd have to research a little more to decide now. I do like the locking system for the senders on the TireMinder better. I think Camping World has these, but are a little cheaper on line.

Both can handle the tow vehicle and multiple tires on the trailer/RV.

Again, one of THE BEST additions I have ever made to the trailer and the tow vehicle.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 11:05 AM   #42

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Tim do you have the TT400 model?

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 11:14 AM   #43

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Very interesting and informative, thanks.

Question:

1. Are there similar senders that mount inside the tire similar to how most cars/trucks now have ? I would think due to the external sensor's cost and being "out there" would tempt someone to help themselves.
While on the road, I have had screw on radio antennas removed, license plate stainless machine screws lifted.

2. Regardless of where the sensor is mounted, being weighty and near outer diameter of tire, you will need to re-balance tires.

3. With external caps, unless you use a larger pass through, it looks like you will need to remove sensor to fill and or check tire pressure. I realize they send out pressures but some of us use analog pressure gauges with bleed valve.

Tim thank you for bringing this to our attention. It's a vital tool I will implement, even if mounted externally, to keep an eye on what is going on back there as serious problems don't suddenly happen. There is always early warning. I also check wheel hub temperatures with infrared digital hand held just in case a wheel bearing is decides to misbehave.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:31 AM   #44
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Which one are you using Tim?
I use these as the battery is user-replaceable; over the last 5 or so years I have been warned twice about a tire losing pressure due to picking up a nail/screw before it became a roadside issue. Much better to pull into a tire service place when it's not rainy and dark on the soft shoulder of a road somewhere.....

https://tsttruck.com/product/507-starter-system-kit/

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 11:43 AM   #45

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
I use these as the battery is user-replaceable; over the last 5 or so years I have been warned twice about a tire losing pressure due to picking up a nail/screw before it became a roadside issue. Much better to pull into a tire service place when it's not rainy and dark on the soft shoulder of a road somewhere.....

https://tsttruck.com/product/507-starter-system-kit/
We bought the same system following Charlie's recommendation . Great system and piece of mind for our last 3 week road trip . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 11:47 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I know the front of our 19 after 6+ years had quite a bit of pitting on the front behind the tow tires. We do travel a fair bit on gravel roads.

This is the reason that Escape puts a protective coating on their storage boxes. I was considering finding out what they use and maybe do that, but the 3M is cheap, and easily removable. The other is more permanent, and can be done later. I know Line-X is an option too, but according to Reace, the matching white tends to yellow a bit with age, thus the reason they no longer use it.
Strange thing to say if referring to what is applied to front box . No yellowing on our 2013 . We have to deal with extreme UV's where we live . Pat
Old 01-05-2017, 11:51 AM   #47

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Strange thing to say if referring to what is applied to front box . No yellowing on our 2013 . We have to deal with extreme UV's where we live . Pat
So, I am strange because I quoted something Reace told me a couple weeks ago?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 12:08 PM   #48

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
So, I am strange because I quoted something Reace told me a couple weeks ago?
No you're just strange for the fun of it.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 01-05-2017, 12:08 PM   #49

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
No you're just strange for the fun of it.
Now that I can accept.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 12:25 PM   #50

Quote:
Tim do you have the TT400 model?
No, I bought the TT500 because of a few additional features.

Question:

1. Are there similar senders that mount inside the tire similar to how most cars/trucks now have ? I would think due to the external sensor's cost and being "out there" would tempt someone to help themselves.
While on the road, I have had screw on radio antennas removed, license plate stainless machine screws lifted.

The senders replace the valve stem cap. They can be locked on. The method for locking is better on the TireMinder sets.

2. Regardless of where the sensor is mounted, being weighty and near outer diameter of tire, you will need to re-balance tires.

Nope, these things are so light that they do not affect the balance. They do work on rubber valve stems but the next time I have the tires replaced I will ask for metal. The TireTraker ones are lighter than the TireMinder ones. See their FAQ on their website.

3. With external caps, unless you use a larger pass through, it looks like you will need to remove sensor to fill and or check tire pressure. I realize they send out pressures but some of us use analog pressure gauges with bleed valve.

Yes, you need to remove them to replace air, but on the last big trip, I only had to do that once. Since you can monitor without having to remove the cap and check with a pressure gauge, it is really easy to keep track of.
Old 01-05-2017, 02:27 PM   #51

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Hi Tim, thank you for answering my concerns. So the little guys are that light ! That's good to know so likely no balancing needed. And can be locked ! Sounds too good to be true.

Will be getting one of the two outfits you mentioned. Thanks
Old 01-05-2017, 02:30 PM   #52

Tim - thanks for all the research and answers. Based on your knowledge, if you were going to buy a set now, which would you go with?

Old 01-05-2017, 03:17 PM   #53

Quote:
Tim - thanks for all the research and answers. Based on your knowledge, if you were going to buy a set now, which would you go with?
OK, this is hard to answer. I chose TireTraker because of the lifetime warranty. TireMinder is one year and you can pay to extend, and the one Charlie recommended is tsttruck.com, also one year.

All have replaceable batteries. TireTraker sensors are all brass, so if you use on aluminum stems, anti-freeze is recommended. TireMinder you can get aluminum or brass sensors. These two companies sensors are very small and light. So you don't have to balance tires. TST sensors are bigger and heavier BUT come with an easier to apply lock system.

TireTraker is the least expensive. You have to replace your own batteries.
TireMinder will send you free batteries, but only has a one year warranty.
TST is the most expensive if you are getting a 6 or 8 sensor system.

I didn't use the lock system on mine. Most people don't know they are anything but a valve cap. Lots of travel and no loss. If you are concerned, simply unscrew them (making sure to remember which wheel they came off of as they are programed to a wheel.) I removed them when in storage and keep them in an egg carton marked for each wheel.

Because of price and lifetime warranty, I'd probably get the same again. I had no trouble with reception, but the antenna does look a little whimpy compared to the other two models. Still, on the dash it was no problem. I also liked the two weeks without recharging and finding this info on the other sites is a little vague. I actually got everything that was claimed with the TT500 from TireTraker.

I think they all work fine, but I'm kind of cheap. You can view all here:

tiretraker.com
minderresearch.com
tsttruck.com (caters more to big rigs and has a solution for duelees hence the price)

for your own research. No matter which one you decide on, it's a good investment in my opinion. (Saw an awful lot of blow outs on a long trip this summer!)
Old 01-05-2017, 03:20 PM   #54

Thanks again for the thoughtful answer Tim. So your TT500 works fine without the booster?

Old 01-05-2017, 03:45 PM   #55

Quote:
Thanks again for the thoughtful answer Tim. So your TT500 works fine without the booster?
Yes, and we have a truck with a canopy and full inside. So we have a longer wheel base than some and more blockage with the canopy but a shorter trailer. There was never any reception problem. When I was setting it up, the trailer was outside and I was inside the garage with the receiver about 20 feet away and had no problem either. They recommend trying without the booster first. I do have the antenna extended, however, when we use it.
Old 01-05-2017, 05:23 PM   #56

These look like an interesting concept. Since we always have our iPhones in the tow with us, they would eliminate the need for another device since these use Bluetooth. Not enough reviews either here or at Amazon, but I might keep my eye on them for a few months and see if people report problems or not.

https://www.sharperimage.com/si/view...roduct-details

Old 01-05-2017, 06:46 PM   #57

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Looks like TireMinder has a Bluetooth version as well:

TireMinder Smart TPMS - Smartphone Based TPMS for RVs, MotorHomes, 5th Wheels, Motor Coaches and Trailers - Minder Research
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 07:05 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
OK, this is hard to answer. I chose TireTraker because of the lifetime warranty. TireMinder is one year and you can pay to extend, and the one Charlie recommended is tsttruck.com, also one year.

All have replaceable batteries. TireTraker sensors are all brass, so if you use on aluminum stems, anti-freeze is recommended. TireMinder you can get aluminum or brass sensors. These two companies sensors are very small and light. So you don't have to balance tires. TST sensors are bigger and heavier BUT come with an easier to apply lock system.

TireTraker is the least expensive. You have to replace your own batteries.
TireMinder will send you free batteries, but only has a one year warranty.
TST is the most expensive if you are getting a 6 or 8 sensor system.

I didn't use the lock system on mine. Most people don't know they are anything but a valve cap. Lots of travel and no loss. If you are concerned, simply unscrew them (making sure to remember which wheel they came off of as they are programed to a wheel.) I removed them when in storage and keep them in an egg carton marked for each wheel.

Because of price and lifetime warranty, I'd probably get the same again. I had no trouble with reception, but the antenna does look a little whimpy compared to the other two models. Still, on the dash it was no problem. I also liked the two weeks without recharging and finding this info on the other sites is a little vague. I actually got everything that was claimed with the TT500 from TireTraker.

I think they all work fine, but I'm kind of cheap. You can view all here:

tiretraker.com
minderresearch.com
tsttruck.com (caters more to big rigs and has a solution for duelees hence the price)

for your own research. No matter which one you decide on, it's a good investment in my opinion. (Saw an awful lot of blow outs on a long trip this summer!)
We only bought the 4 tire system which cost 259 . Can add more later up to 22 . We are riding in truck so will be aware if tire were to blow on truck ,which has happened to us before . Just moved to side of the road . No damage except for the E Michelin tire . The 4 we got are for the trailer because can't see or hear what is going on until maybe too late . We got the external and can use on our rubber stems , talked to owner . When we get new tires will change to metal stems like on our truck . Like the little screen monitor , it rides in driver corner . Not big but good screen . Use the locking device on them . Can check air pressure before I would have to remove them . Only had to once , they seem to hold the air better then just caps . Just what it seems . Very happy with TST RV 507 . Pat
Old 01-05-2017, 07:17 PM   #59

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
As far as I had seen way back, Tire Traker and Minder are the same with different names but don't know if that is correct. We have one and haven't had it work well at all. Works a while, then not. We sent back a sensor and they will replace them for you but we have had a lot of problems with the system. And times it went off, we had nothing wrong.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 07:24 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
As far as I had seen way back, Tire Traker and Minder are the same with different names but don't know if that is correct. We have one and haven't had it work well at all. Works a while, then not. We sent back a sensor and they will replace them for you but we have had a lot of problems with the system. And times it went off, we had nothing wrong.
Which did you have? Our TireTraker has worked perfectly for over 10,000 miles. Also why a lifetime warranty is good.