Adding Protective Coating on the Wheel Wells - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-05-2017, 09:45 PM   #61

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Jim just curious, they can't get it in due to scheduling or it won't fit in their shop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I checked with the shop in Chilliwack, and as they have to do it inside, they can't get the 5.0TA in. I am going to bring some 6mil poly along, and tape a double layer of that to protect from the winter sand (gravel) on the highways.
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 09:46 PM   #62

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post
Jim just curious, they can't get it in due to scheduling or it won't fit in their shop?
They say it won't fit.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 11:00 PM   #63

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 "LollyPop" June 12, 2017, sold Coleman pop up
Would you mind sharing which shop in Chilliwack you spoke with? I suppose a 21', not being as tall, would fit in their shop?
casejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 11:24 PM   #64

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
Which did you have? Our TireTraker has worked perfectly for over 10,000 miles. Also why a lifetime warranty is good.
I think that is what we have.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 08:06 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by casejh View Post
Would you mind sharing which shop in Chilliwack you spoke with? I suppose a 21', not being as tall, would fit in their shop?
It was Valley Tinting, and to be honest, given their cold blunt reply to my email request, not sure I would want to use them anyway. I never gave them the height, just sent a front end photo.

No big deal, I will use the company here in Calgary I usually use, who gives great service at decent prices.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-06-2017, 10:29 AM   #66

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
I use these as the battery is user-replaceable; over the last 5 or so years I have been warned twice about a tire losing pressure due to picking up a nail/screw before it became a roadside issue. Much better to pull into a tire service place when it's not rainy and dark on the soft shoulder of a road somewhere.....

https://tsttruck.com/product/507-starter-system-kit/
thanks for the link..from their website
"you do need commonly available metal valve stems. The added weight of the sensor on a rubber valve stem could cause problems that will be avoided by using metal valve stems."

do you know if Escape puts metal valve stems on the tire when delivered?
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 10:47 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
OK, this is hard to answer. I chose TireTraker because of the lifetime warranty. TireMinder is one year and you can pay to extend, and the one Charlie recommended is tsttruck.com, also one year.

All have replaceable batteries. TireTraker sensors are all brass, so if you use on aluminum stems, anti-freeze is recommended. TireMinder you can get aluminum or brass sensors. These two companies sensors are very small and light. So you don't have to balance tires. TST sensors are bigger and heavier BUT come with an easier to apply lock system.

TireTraker is the least expensive. You have to replace your own batteries.
TireMinder will send you free batteries, but only has a one year warranty.
TST is the most expensive if you are getting a 6 or 8 sensor system.

I didn't use the lock system on mine. Most people don't know they are anything but a valve cap. Lots of travel and no loss. If you are concerned, simply unscrew them (making sure to remember which wheel they came off of as they are programed to a wheel.) I removed them when in storage and keep them in an egg carton marked for each wheel.

Because of price and lifetime warranty, I'd probably get the same again. I had no trouble with reception, but the antenna does look a little whimpy compared to the other two models. Still, on the dash it was no problem. I also liked the two weeks without recharging and finding this info on the other sites is a little vague. I actually got everything that was claimed with the TT500 from TireTraker.

I think they all work fine, but I'm kind of cheap. You can view all here:

tiretraker.com
minderresearch.com
tsttruck.com (caters more to big rigs and has a solution for duelees hence the price)

for your own research. No matter which one you decide on, it's a good investment in my opinion. (Saw an awful lot of blow outs on a long trip this summer!)
thanks for the info..on the website they indicate a lifetime warranty when bought as a system TT-500, but a 1 yr warranty on just the TT50 sensor ..the sensors seem to be somewhat inexpensive and hopefully not a high value item for thieves..
Old 01-06-2017, 11:11 AM   #68

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
Sarah recently told me they will not install metal valve stems. I think they buy the tires already mounted (perhaps with the frame).
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 11:25 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
Sarah recently told me they will not install metal valve stems. I think they buy the tires already mounted (perhaps with the frame).
You are right about the tires, but the frames come bare and are painted at Escape.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:40 AM   #70

Quote:
thanks for the info..yes Escape seems to not do any requests concerning tire options (except rim)..they will give you a deduct of about $70 if you bring your own tire but it must come already on a rim....went thru the same sort of thing when buying a new truck...drove from the dealer lot to a tire shop and had them replace the "house slippers" the new truck came with for some "work boots"..tire shop provided a few dollars trade-in for the still new "house slippers"...
perhaps one can find a tire dealer near Escape factory that will do the same.
Old 01-06-2017, 01:35 PM   #71

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Nothing wrong with the house slippers provided by Escape and with 1,000 of miles being driven by owners with little or no issues, I see no change is needed.
Old 01-06-2017, 02:02 PM   #72

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
...from their website
"you do need commonly available metal valve stems. The added weight of the sensor on a rubber valve stem could cause problems that will be avoided by using metal valve stems."
What this implies to me is that the idea that the sensors have trivial weight which cannot affect balance is nonsense. They're just light enough that the resulting imbalance isn't a big deal, especially on a trailer... some people don't bother balancing trailer tires at all, in keeping with the "good enough for a trailer" approach.

Quote:
There is no reason to use metal valve stems with tires running at this pressure, so I wouldn't expect them.

Quote:
Sarah recently told me they will not install metal valve stems. I think they buy the tires already mounted ...
I'm pretty sure that I have seen stacks of mounted wheel-tire sets at Escape; it makes sense to buy them ready-mounted, and I agree that would make it impractical to change valve stems. It's an easy aftermarket modification, though.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 04:42 PM   #73

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
thanks for the link..from their website

We were told the rubber stems are fine with non flow through sensors . The flow through are taller and you need the metal stems . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 04:59 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
What this implies to me is that the idea that the sensors have trivial weight which cannot affect balance is nonsense.
I think the comment has nothing to do with tire balance, but the additional wear in can impose on a rubber valve stem with a bit more weight at the end of it.
Old 01-06-2017, 05:34 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I think the comment has nothing to do with tire balance, but the additional wear in can impose on a rubber valve stem with a bit more weight at the end of it.
Yes. The claim that there was no effect on balance was earlier. I was just connecting the claim that the product is so light it doesn't affect balance, but heavy enough to break rubber valve stems.
Old 01-06-2017, 06:40 PM   #76

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Yes. The claim that there was no effect on balance was earlier. I was just connecting the claim that the product is so light it doesn't affect balance, but heavy enough to break rubber valve stems.
Brian that is what we were told by to company Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 07:57 PM   #77

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Quote:
when buying a new truck...drove from the dealer lot to a tire shop and had them replace the "house slippers" the new truck came with for some "work boots"..tire shop provided a few dollars trade-in for the still new "house slippers"...
Were the original manufacturer's tires that bad ?
When I bought our truck a year ago the manufacturers tires might not be best in class but will do the job. Will replace with a more durable set years from now when the originals wear out and get my money's worth.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:04 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
Were the original manufacturer's tires that bad ?
When I bought our truck a year ago the manufacturers tires might not be best in class but will do the job. Will replace with a more durable set years from now when the originals wear out and get my money's worth.
This is what I do too. The originals are usually a good road tire, and I prefer something more aggressive. I do buy a second set of winter tires to help in these cold and snowy conditions.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:10 PM   #79

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
If I were buying a new vehicle, I'd want 'all weather' tires ( not 'all season' ). They are good to go summer and winter, unlike 'all season'. I finally got fed up paying to switch from 'all season' ( AKA 'three season' ) to winter tires and back and have just been running on my snow tires. When they wear out, I'll switch to 'all weather'.

https://www.nokiantires.com/winter-tires/nokian-wrg3/
Old 01-06-2017, 10:06 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Brian that is what we were told by to company Pat
Yes, I understand that the claims are by the manufacturer (or seller) of the product, and that you're passing their information on, Pat.