Adding The Power Bathroom Vent to a 17B - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2017, 10:20 PM   #41

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Oh I see with that wall reinforced they must have taken plywood right up tight to the ceiling. The only other way would have been to blindly drill a hole from the wardrobe side up high and pray you were above the shower stall. Send the fish through over to the fan location and pull the wires back.
After I was fighting for hours and making a hole in my roof . A light bulb went on and I found a build picture and yup the ply goes right up to the top of the roof .I have a inspection camera and it is pretty close from what I could see , hence how I made a hole in the roof . In order to get the rest of wire over to opening , I shoved a piece of wood in there . It was real hard to start the fish tape then after hard pushing it finally moved when it got away from the wall section . The section on shower side wall I was able to get to light hole , I removed shower head screws and could get a screw driver in hole to pull it away from ply a little . With the inspection camera it looked down at that end less then 1/4 then opened to about 3/4 in closer to opening . What I did really looks fine to cover exposed wire .there also is insulation to deal with on underside of roof , closing up the space more . I am just happy it is done and now have a working bath fan . Hey , thanks for answering my questions . Sometimes I ask a lot of questions and can be a pain , ask Ron . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:53 PM   #42

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
I'm pretty impressed that you folks are doing stuff like this. So glad I have that fan to start with - I really like it (not that I have anything to compare it with!). Yeah, I know, rub it in Laura, why don't ya?

So, Pat, what's the deal with the numbers on your roof? I can see a few in one of your previous photos. I was just on a ladder spraying off some road grime and I don't remember seeing any numbers on it But I wasn't very high up and they could have been where I couldn't see 'em.

I always thought it would be fun to put something on our roof for the folks heading into SeaTac Int'l airport or the bazillion helicopters that fly over the neighborhood. Maybe I'll put a cat face up there!
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:59 PM   #43

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Very nice work, Pat. Love reading about your adjusting on the fly and coming up with good solution. You will enjoy that vent fan for many years.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 12:00 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
I'm pretty impressed that you folks are doing stuff like this. So glad I have that fan to start with - I really like it (not that I have anything to compare it with!). Yeah, I know, rub it in Laura, why don't ya?

So, Pat, what's the deal with the numbers on your roof? I can see a few in one of your previous photos. I was just on a ladder spraying off some road grime and I don't remember seeing any numbers on it But I wasn't very high up and they could have been where I couldn't see 'em.

I always thought it would be fun to put something on our roof for the folks heading into SeaTac Int'l airport or the bazillion helicopters that fly over the neighborhood. Maybe I'll put a cat face up there!
Hi Laura about the numbers , bought at Marine West . We put them on in a couple of places . That is how many of trailers made at the time . We are 792 . They had colorful numbers too and fancy lettering . Yup would of been nice to have from beginning . Don't know after they got to 1000, how they number trailers . For us it was the last 3 numbers . Can ask Escape I would think . Pat
Old 03-20-2017, 12:02 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Very nice work, Pat. Love reading about your adjusting on the fly and coming up with good solution. You will enjoy that vent fan for many years.
Hey Greg for some reason on some things my brain is working better . Just don't ask me what I ate yesterday . Pat
Old 07-29-2021, 03:52 PM   #46

Trailer: ‘09 Escape 19
I’ve also just completed a bathroom fan retro fit into my “new to me” 2009 E19.

I ran into many similar issues, shower/closet wall reinforced right to the shell of the trailer and internal framing in the way of preferred wire route (although I was keen to try and fish wire for a few hours, with no luck. I did not have/use a fish tape.

Drilling out the rivets in the old vent and removing all the goop from the original (or who knows how many times it’s been re-sealed) vent install was time consuming and quite difficult.

I ended up having to tie into the bathroom light wiring in the closet from the closest to the curve at the top of the trailer… waaay in the back of the closet. Just enough room to poke the wire over the plywood reinforced wall to make the connection to the fan between the shower skin and framing in the wall.

The fibreglass pieces supplied by ETI are a bit rough and not very square. None of the holes lined up, so new ones were drilled. Old holes on the exterior of the trailer were all filled with a dab of supplied pro flex before the new stuff went on.

It wasn’t until after I had already proflexed the fan flange down (thinking that was the only attachment) that I did see one picture (in someone’s refit thread) with screws from the top side down into the supplied fibreglass “plate” for the roof. I only used a screw in every other hole, so 4 total… with pro flex bead under the circumference of the fan flange. I’m hoping that’s enough for a long lasting connection.

I also cut strips of 1/2”x1” wood to reinforce the roof mounting fibreglass “plate”, hot glued into place.

With the inconsistency of gap between the shower enclosure shell and the trailer roof/curved wall section, there was no way 1”x1” or as going to fit. Gap on one side was 1 1-4” down to just over 3/4” at the adjacent corner.

I did hot glue some thin (1/4”) plywood backers into where the internal fibreglass cover “plate” was going to attach inside the shower skin. The shower enclosure is super thin and I didn’t want to strip it out mounting the trim piece on the inside.

I did use 1” butyal tape for the roof “plate” to trailer connection. Then I slathered proflex over top of the perimeter and all the screw heads.

Definitely more waterproof than the leaking 9”vent was.

My wife has skills far superior to mine when it comes to caulking, so I left that up to her on the inside and she’s succeeded far beyond what I would have been able to do.

So, long story longer… tears were shed, blood was spilled and my 4 letter word vocabulary thoroughly exercised.

Not the easiest thing I’ve done but possible for the diy’er with some patients and a steady hand. The fear of messing up the fibreglass shell (inside and out) was the hardest thing. Not what I’d call a one banana job.

The kit supplied has everything you need to retrofit the vent to fan, excluding the electrical bits or instructions.

And now we have a fan in our bathroom 😁

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
6A7028AF-120D-4049-BFA6-DA4E0DB5C454.jpg   F41A1198-5779-428D-A598-750DE25A4280.jpg   7FB8B6A8-02B7-4149-8B3A-5CCFEBE11383.jpg   4DA2803B-139A-4353-9DD4-09981C83C664.jpg  
Hardboiled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 04:25 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardboiled View Post
I’ve also just completed a bathroom fan retro fit into my “new to me” 2009 E19.

I ran into many similar issues, shower/closet wall reinforced right to the shell of the trailer and internal framing in the way of preferred wire route (although I was keen to try and fish wire for a few hours, with no luck. I did not have/use a fish tape.

Drilling out the rivets in the old vent and removing all the goop from the original (or who knows how many times it’s been re-sealed) vent install was time consuming and quite difficult.

I ended up having to tie into the bathroom light wiring in the closet from the closest to the curve at the top of the trailer… waaay in the back of the closet. Just enough room to poke the wire over the plywood reinforced wall to make the connection to the fan between the shower skin and framing in the wall.

The fibreglass pieces supplied by ETI are a bit rough and not very square. None of the holes lined up, so new ones were drilled. Old holes on the exterior of the trailer were all filled with a dab of supplied pro flex before the new stuff went on.

It wasn’t until after I had already proflexed the fan flange down (thinking that was the only attachment) that I did see one picture (in someone’s refit thread) with screws from the top side down into the supplied fibreglass “plate” for the roof. I only used a screw in every other hole, so 4 total… with pro flex bead under the circumference of the fan flange. I’m hoping that’s enough for a long lasting connection.

I also cut strips of 1/2”x1” wood to reinforce the roof mounting fibreglass “plate”, hot glued into place.

With the inconsistency of gap between the shower enclosure shell and the trailer roof/curved wall section, there was no way 1”x1” or as going to fit. Gap on one side was 1 1-4” down to just over 3/4” at the adjacent corner.

I did hot glue some thin (1/4”) plywood backers into where the internal fibreglass cover “plate” was going to attach inside the shower skin. The shower enclosure is super thin and I didn’t want to strip it out mounting the trim piece on the inside.

I did use 1” butyal tape for the roof “plate” to trailer connection. Then I slathered proflex over top of the perimeter and all the screw heads.

Definitely more waterproof than the leaking 9”vent was.

My wife has skills far superior to mine when it comes to caulking, so I left that up to her on the inside and she’s succeeded far beyond what I would have been able to do.

So, long story longer… tears were shed, blood was spilled and my 4 letter word vocabulary thoroughly exercised.

Not the easiest thing I’ve done but possible for the diy’er with some patients and a steady hand. The fear of messing up the fibreglass shell (inside and out) was the hardest thing. Not what I’d call a one banana job.

The kit supplied has everything you need to retrofit the vent to fan, excluding the electrical bits or instructions.

And now we have a fan in our bathroom 😁

Cheers
Just saw this ! Very nice install and you had the same problem I had with the ply to the roof .
I just solved ours differently but has been fine now 4 years . Good you added backing pieces inside the shower roof . I remember Greg reminded to do that . Makes a nice support structure for the fan . With how thin the roof is if you didn’t it might be bouncing around going down the road ! You are going to love this improvement ! Pat👍🏻