Adding underfloor insulation - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 01-20-2016, 07:27 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Adding underfloor insulation

I've probably spent way more time under my trailer than most other owners. I've added wiring for a back-up camera, back-up light, TV cable and a unified negative buss cable. All the time I was looking at that great expanse of flat f.g. thinking about how easy it would be to turn an approximately R-1 value floor into an R-11 value floor. I know, I know, putting down a mat or cork does make the floor feel less cold than bare vinyl but it barely changes the R value.

On the 19 there are two areas that are easy candidates for retro-fitting insulation. Both are 4' long, meaning that one piece of 2' x 8' foam is enough to completely cover the area with almost zero waste.

I choose to do the forward area, under the dinette. That area runs from the very front back to the grey water tank. The second area is between the rear of the grey water tank and the front of the fresh water tank. On the interior that translates into the area from the front of the bed forward.

I used 2" pink foam with an insulation value of R-10. That turned out to be a good choice because the propane line runs down one side and the 2" thick foam fits snugly between it and the floor. Perfect.

Because of the "L" shape cross stringer and the propane line it was impossible to install the 2 major pieces in 1 piece. On the drivers side, above the propane line, 2 small pieces were inserted and then the main larger pieces were installed.

All cut edges and the bottom surface was painted with acrylic latex paint. Foam adhesive was used to attach the foam to the f.g. Redundant supports were added in case the adhesive failed.

The stabilizers were removed for easier access and are missing in the photos and the loose wires are normally held in place overhead.

The job went so well I'm wishing I had more time to do the rear section before we head South. If we get some down near zero overnight temperatures before we leave for Quartzsite I'll take some comparative floor readings of the newly insulated floor, the area over the grey water tank and the non-insulated area bu the bed.

Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18-01-2016 2-28-59 PM_0003_resize.jpg (142.1 KB, 250 views)
File Type: jpg 17-01-2016 8-32-29 PM10_resize.jpg (169.7 KB, 207 views)
File Type: jpg 19-01-2016 3-49-38 PM_0002_resize.jpg (152.5 KB, 240 views)
File Type: jpg 19-01-2016 3-50-15 PM_0004_resize.jpg (202.8 KB, 216 views)

Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 07:57 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I've probably spent way more time under my trailer than most other owners. I've added wiring for a back-up camera, back-up light, TV cable and a unified negative buss cable. All the time I was looking at that great expanse of flat f.g. thinking about how easy it would be to turn an approximately R-1 value floor into an R-11 value floor. I know, I know, putting down a mat or cork does make the floor feel less cold than bare vinyl but it barely changes the R value.

On the 19 there are two areas that are easy candidates for retro-fitting insulation. Both are 4' long, meaning that one piece of 2' x 8' foam is enough to completely cover the area with almost zero waste.

I choose to do the forward area, under the dinette. That area runs from the very front back to the grey water tank. The second area is between the rear of the grey water tank and the front of the fresh water tank. On the interior that translates into the area from the front of the bed forward.

I used 2" pink foam with an insulation value of R-10. That turned out to be a good choice because the propane line runs down one side and the 2" thick foam fits snugly between it and the floor. Perfect.

Because of the "L" shape cross stringer and the propane line it was impossible to install the 2 major pieces in 1 piece. On the drivers side, above the propane line, 2 small pieces were inserted and then the main larger pieces were installed.

All cut edges and the bottom surface was painted with acrylic latex paint. Foam adhesive was used to attach the foam to the f.g. Redundant supports were added in case the adhesive failed.

The stabilizers were removed for easier access and are missing in the photos and the loose wires are normally held in place overhead.

The job went so well I'm wishing I had more time to do the rear section before we head South. If we get some down near zero overnight temperatures before we leave for Quartzsite I'll take some comparative floor readings of the newly insulated floor, the area over the grey water tank and the non-insulated area bu the bed.

Ron
Ron I betcha that should work . Pat

Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 08:05 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Nice work again, Ron.

SAE Towing Standard "Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 08:22 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I'm going to have to inspect this closely at Quartzite.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 08:43 PM   #5

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - 2016 Ram 1500 Up for Sale Soon 19k mi
A Super Seven Ron ?
Old 01-21-2016, 10:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
A Super Seven Ron ?
No, 3 years of beating my head against the wall making my own. Went to the Caterham factory in England with the intent to buy a kit but looked at them welding bits of tube together and thought, "I can do that" I took a year to build my house, 2 years to build an ocean going sailboat and 3 years to build that little car. Something is wrong with that progression.

Ron
Old 01-21-2016, 10:21 PM   #7

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - 2016 Ram 1500 Up for Sale Soon 19k mi
Quote:
No, 3 years of beating my head against the wall making my own. Went to the Caterham factory in England with the intent to buy a kit but looked at them welding bits of tube together and thought, "I can do that" I took a year to build my house, 2 years to build an ocean going sailboat and 3 years to build that little car. Something is wrong with that progression.

Ron
That's very funny Ron. I am sorry I really meant a Super Seven kit, Caterham likely being the top dog. Good that you appreciate that type of car. Will plan on a future stop and see it, first I need to get off the squirrel cage called "a job" and retire at end of this year. We will spend a lot of time in beautiful Canada.
Old 01-22-2016, 04:44 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:

Ron

Very nice Ron!
I'm considering doing that myself, I spend the majority of my trailer time during the fall in northern NH and Maine. Something like this will be worth the effort!
Slickheadhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 07:40 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Ron you knock me out! I just got a heads up on this thread from Dave1. (I probably saw this thread title days back and ignored it thinking it was about factory sprayed insulation.)

I don't care how cold it is tomorrow - will be crawling under there to see if I can do that. (Or not.) Good stuff.
Old 01-22-2016, 07:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
- will be crawling under there to see if I can do that. (Or not.) Good stuff.
Myron, anyone that's done the nice mods you've done could do this one. The real plus is that the materials so light to handle, 8 lbs. total for what I did and cuts like butter.

I looked at it as worthwhile because it's the one area on the trailer where I could significantly and easily improve the R value.

So come on over to Quartzsite in a couple of weeks, bring foam and we'll have a work party.

Ron