Adding wrap around dinette? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2018, 06:04 AM   #1

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
Adding wrap around dinette?

Hello All,
I hope this finds everyone doing well. We just purchased a 2014 21' so been spending a lot of time reading through threads on the forum. THANKS to all that take the time to share their experiences.
Our Grover did not come with two options that I wonder what it takes to add them in the field, one of those is the wrap around dinette. We decided on an Escape without ever seeing the inside of one except in pictures so really never seen one in real life to know what it takes other that the extra cushions.
I'm not near as handy as many of you on this forum but have some friends that are so want to see what this will take to do and if anyone has done it can they share some info.

Safe travels to all,

Steve and Patty
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 08:45 AM   #2

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Some folks have done this modification themselves, Steve. In essence, it involves cutting a piece of plywood 14-16” wide and the length of the span between your two Dinette benches. This is called a filler board. It suspends across and rests on the same ledges used for the tabletop bed conversion. Have a cushion made to the same dimensions and cover. Then have a cushion made to the dimensions of the back wall, and enjoy.
Perhaps someone who has done this will way in. When finished, it looks almost identical!

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 10:27 AM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
We purchased some extra material from Escape when we bought the trailer so that I could make a custom U. Here is a picture of the rear of the back support. I added high density foam to the other side and upholstered it. The two legs that stick out bolt to the two rails that hold the table in bed mode. This transfers all the weight off of the trailer front wall and allows for good ventilation. Note the design allows for a sloped back.
Hope you are a believer that a picture is worth a thousand words as l am heading out the door. All will be written up later this year.
Good luck
Attached Thumbnails
12B4F907-BBB7-4887-8F14-3A148E4DE8E0.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 01:47 AM   #4

Trailer: 2018 5.0 TA
Has anybody done a standard dinette to u-shaped dinette conversion? I'm thinking of doing this as my wife and I are ending up using the bed almost exclusively as a kind of couch area with 2 cushions we bought similar to these:
https://www.amazon.com/ComfortSpa-Re...gateway&sr=8-3

The cushions work great in the corners, but would like more of a lounge configuration for ease of use. Would be nice to have a cutout while maintaining the ability to make it into a bed. I'm thinking of just cutting a piece of plywood and getting custom cushions made, or somehow modifying the existing cushions to work. My wife is a handy seamstress and thinks she can, just curious what others have done with this type of mod? With a U-shaped dinette ordered from escape, what is the cushion layout? Anyone had success with this mode before?
drjenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 06:56 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
With the "U" dinette in our E21 we had extra cushions for the corners, I cut some 1x2 slats and laid them across the open area to create a lounge, table was put in the tow. See here for pictures...#230 http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...k-3134-23.html
Old 04-16-2019, 03:01 AM   #6

Trailer: 2018 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
With the "U" dinette in our E21 we had extra cushions for the corners, I cut some 1x2 slats and laid them across the open area to create a lounge, table was put in the tow. See here for pictures...#230 http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...k-3134-23.html

Looks great and very much what I had in mind. For the cushions, were you able to re-use the ones that came with the standard dinette configuration, and cut them to new shape? Did you order one for the length of the backrest from somewhere? That is my puzzle right now is figuring how to modify or order new cushions to fit along the back while still maintaining the ability to have the full bed config if we need to. I wonder if anyone has a picture of the cushion configuration of a u-shaped dinette configuration (both in table and bed form)?
drjenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 05:46 AM   #7

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
With the "U" you get 2 extra corner cushions which I used on the slats and used those chair backs like yours in the corners. There are 5 cushions in the "U" including the 2 corner units.