Additonal Reading Lights - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2014, 12:41 AM   #21

Trailer: No more Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
I don't find the captain's light too bright for reading but I do find the cabinet LED lights too bright in the winter evenings. Somewhere on this forum someone posted a solution (like putting a colored Saran® wrap type of covering over them) but I'll be hanged if I can find it.
Karen, here's the answer, complements of Jon Vermilye, when I asked the same question:
"
What I do is add a piece of theatrical frost. It comes in 20" X 22" sheets, is flameproof (it is designed to go in front of 1000w theatrical lights). There are about 20 different frosts available from Rosco, and about the same from Lee Color media. Both are usually available from a theatrical supplier for around $8.00 per sheet; just cut it to fit. The suppliers have "Swatch Books", a book of 1" X 3" samples that are useful for picking out which you want. Talk nice to them & they may give you one, otherwise it shouldn't cost too much. I used Rosco 115, but, as I said, there are many varieties, including some that will warm the color of the high temperature (blueish) lamps."
Old 03-05-2014, 12:43 AM   #22

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Thank you, thank you...I knew it was somewhere! I know by now to bookmark or to copy and paste but somehow this slipped by me.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:49 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
I found Feit bulbs at the local hardware store. They are 3000K. But 7 watts. The big draw was that they are dimmable, and produce much less Radio Frequency Interference than the standard bulbs. I knew I was going to be using more electricity, but it is still less than .6 amp and since we only use them a couple of hours a day, I figured the solar could easily replenish the batteries.
I also saw the Feit bulbs, still trying to get the low wattage bulbs. But as Jim suggested I may be SOL.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:24 PM   #24

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickM View Post
Karen, here's the answer, complements of Jon Vermilye, when I asked the same question:
"
What I do is add a piece of theatrical frost. It comes in 20" X 22" sheets, is flameproof (it is designed to go in front of 1000w theatrical lights). There are about 20 different frosts available from Rosco, and about the same from Lee Color media. Both are usually available from a theatrical supplier for around $8.00 per sheet; just cut it to fit. The suppliers have "Swatch Books", a book of 1" X 3" samples that are useful for picking out which you want. Talk nice to them & they may give you one, otherwise it shouldn't cost too much. I used Rosco 115, but, as I said, there are many varieties, including some that will warm the color of the high temperature (blueish) lamps."
I found a source for this: Gels | Theatrical & Stage Lighting Effects | PNTA

Because I have no clue about lighting, I ordered two sheets (08 and 303) for a total of $20 including shipping. Jon might step in here and say these are totally the wrong colors for warming up the LEDs but what's done is done. I can always start over...
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:12 AM   #25

Trailer: 2021 5.0
IKEA has a $15 clip on LED light with 14" flexible gooseneck and long cord. Long cord and it clips on the padded window header. Yes, cord hanging, but it drapes down wall by window, behind back cushion of our U shape dinette, under seat cushion to outlet. If we decide this is its permanent home, will use little clear plastic Command hooks for cords to keep it tidy.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:46 AM   #26

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Here is one from Amazon with USB for computer or 12v socket and 3 light modes
Daffodil ULT300 USB Light - Reading Lamp with 28 Bright LED Bulbs, Flexible Gooseneck and Desk Clamp / Plugs into Your PC or Mac's USB Port to Light-up its Keyboard and Screen. No Batteries Needed - Amazon.com
it will clip to your table and stay while in transit.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:05 PM   #27

New LED Bulb

After reading posts on this thread and looking at the net, I tried one LED that is turning out okay. It was ordered from superbrightleds.com, Part Number: MR16-WW3W-3. It's a 3 watt warm color LED. Here are two pictures, the stock LED on the left and the new LED on the right. I took one picture with camera flash and one without the flash.
Attached Thumbnails
With Flash.jpg   No Flash.jpg  
Old 03-19-2014, 08:45 PM   #28

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
My problem was a slightly different color stripe projected by some fixtures I added caused by the LEDs using a phosphor coating to achieve the warmer than normal color temperature. Probably wouldn't bother most people, but it was annoying when reading to have a "yellow" stripe across the pages.

I added Rosco 115 Frost to blend the stripe with the rest of the light, however it is a neutral material - it doesn't change the color of the light. If you want to change the color temperature of the LEDs, this page lists the different tints & what color temperature shifts they provide. These are not frosts - they will not soften the light, just change the color, although they can be combined with a frost such as 115 to do both. You will have some light loss - the specifications list the transmission loss for each color.

I still recommend going to a theatrical supplier & talking them out of a swatch book (or paying a couple of bucks for one) to choose what color gives you the shift you desire. There are 100's of colors; buying full sheets could get expensive trying to choose...
Old 03-19-2014, 10:58 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickM View Post
After reading posts on this thread and looking at the net, I tried one LED that is turning out okay. It was ordered from superbrightleds.com, Part Number: MR16-WW3W-3. It's a 3 watt warm color LED. Here are two pictures, the stock LED on the left and the new LED on the right. I took one picture with camera flash and one without the flash.
Could you post a link, I could not find them at Superbrights
Old 03-19-2014, 11:38 PM   #30

Jim, here is a link

3 Watt MR16 LED bulb - Multifaceted Lens with High Power Epistar COB LED | MR series | MR series and JC Capsule Bulbs | Universal LED Bulb Finder | Super Bright LEDs
Old 03-20-2014, 05:39 AM   #31
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I don't know how many read the CasitaForum, but I follow just about everything Rob (Rob and Linda) posts. Modifications extraordinare! Anyway, Rob has looked and tried and looked and tried different LED reading lights. He finally found one that HE likes. Here's his post, for those that can read it: Finally (!), Decent Reading Light

But, if not... here's the light... SPENDY! i2Systems LED Reading Light

In the end, I may buy one (in the future...)
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:03 AM   #32

Jim, here is a link

3 Watt MR16 LED bulb - Multifaceted Lens with High Power Epistar COB LED | MR series | MR series and JC Capsule Bulbs | Universal LED Bulb Finder | Super Bright LEDs

Thanks, may order a couple for the bed and dinette areas. What is your opinion, do you like the softer look and was it an easy bulb replacement?
Old 03-20-2014, 10:03 AM   #33

Jim, yes we like the softer, more yellow light than the intense blue-white of the stock LED. Replacement is super easy. Just pull out the bulb and plug in the new bulb. The bulb's base is keyed to the socket which makes a easy job of putting in the new bulb.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:23 PM   #34

great, I just ordered 4 for BlackJack, thanks for the lead.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:20 PM   #35

Trailer: 2022 Coachmen Nova 20C
Ya - Thanks for the tip Rick.
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:53 PM   #36

Trailer: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
great, I just ordered 4 for BlackJack, thanks for the lead.
Ordered 4 as well! Thanks!
ColoRockiesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 07:29 PM   #37

Trailer: Escape 19, 2018: Last Best Escape

Hi, Rick,

We want to thank you for putting us on to the warm white bulbs. We were looking for some softer lighting in the dinette area of our new 19 and used your suggestion to replace the stock bulbs in a couple captains lights that we mounted on the face of the front shelf (we had ETI install wiring in all 4 corners of our trailer). It's just the feeling we were looking for. In fact, we also decided to use a warm white bulb in the captains light we have for reading in the bed area. Many thanks for sharing your excellent idea!

Klaus and Karen

Honda Pilot 2019
ksitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 07:38 PM   #38

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
I bought these and they work well in the captain lights. Unfortunately when I turn them on I lose sound on the factory Jensen stereo. Put the original cool white bulbs in and no loss of sound. Very strange!

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 08:06 PM   #39
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
I bought these and they work well in the captain lights. Unfortunately when I turn them on I lose sound on the factory Jensen stereo. Put the original cool white bulbs in and no loss of sound. Very strange!
Some LED bulbs cause radio interference on AM. Only option is different bulbs or FM..........

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 08:31 PM   #40
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Does the media you are using affect your needs? I'm a paperback reader. I have the standard captain lights in the loft (ETI default build) and two more the same in the dinette. They work just fine for me. But I don't use an e-reader....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote