Additonal Reading Lights - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2013, 08:16 AM   #1

Trailer: 2014 E21
Additonal Reading Lights

We’re ordering the "LED Interior Light Package" option for our 19 and we see that Escape also offers the option of additional "LED Captains Reading Lamps". My question is how many such lights would be useful (primarily for reading) and what would be their optimal placement?

Glenn
Old 10-11-2013, 08:58 AM   #2

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
If you like to read in bed, one or two in the bed area is useful. If you like to read while sitting in the dinette, that would be a good spot for another one or two. We added four captains lights and are quite happy with them.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:16 AM   #3

Thanks Dave. We'd be incline to do both, I think. Where'd you place your 4 additional lights?

Glenn
Old 10-11-2013, 09:16 AM   #4

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape
We considered the captain's lights in our 19 but just went with the LED package alone. They are very bright and more than adequate for reading in bed. I worried that moving/lifting the mattress would impact the captain's lights. When I make the bed...a rather awkward proposition...I climb over the mattress, lift the back edge, and stand on the bed base while I tuck in the fitted sheets. Lifting the mattress that high tends to rub on the blinds and I wouldn't want anything hanging down from the cabinets that I could bump or destroy. I suspect most folks just reach over the bed to tuck in the sheets and lifting the mattress isn't an issue. Anyway...for us...the captain's lights would have been overkill.
lefttee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:23 AM   #5

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by abby View Post
Thanks Dave. We'd be incline to do both, I think. Where'd you place your 4 additional lights?

Glenn
In the front dinette, we had Escape crew install the Captain's lights on the left and right sides of the trailer under the overhead cabinets. In the rear bed area, you must first decide what side of the trailer you will lay your heads while sleeping. We put the two Captain's lights on the passenger side under the overhead cabinets. (Of course, Jim Bennett would say they should have been on the driver's side - ).

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:03 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I'm having them installed in each corner also, you may need to change the bulb for reading, the only color Escape offers is the cool white in the captain lights, whereas the rest of the led's are warm white. You can always change the bulb later if you like, try it as is. But the standard lights put out enough to read by, whereas the captain's beam is more focused or concentrated in one area.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:45 AM   #7

Thanks all. Good info.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:56 AM   #8

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
I bought a really great light from Camping World that goes around my neck and is a real nice light...LED light... Makes it easy when Doug is sleeping..
Old 10-11-2013, 12:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirie View Post
I bought a really great light from Camping World that goes around my neck and is a real nice light...LED light... Makes it easy when Doug is sleeping..
A worthy thought. Thanks.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:42 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Headlamps. LED run on a couple or three AAA batteries. Great for reading, getting up in the night. If you put it on, it's always light where you're looking.

Dave
dave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:31 PM   #11

Trailer: 2013 Escape 5.0
I have the lights in corners at the head of the bed in our 5.0. However, I'm not crazy about them. They are bright spotlights. I prefer a soft diffuse lighting for reading and I will eventually try to find a replacement for them. I suppose it's worth having them installed at the factory so the wiring is there and a simple matter to switch out the fixtures.

I replaced the stove vent light with an LED (10 watt bulb?) and like the dim soft light it provides as a nightlight or when watching television. I'm thinking of installing one or two similar bulbs above the rear dinette to avoid turning on the very bright overhead lights.

For reading I'm spoiled by my ZebraLight headlamp which casts a very flat, even, diffused light perfect for reading.
onetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 03:24 PM   #12

Thanks all for helping us come to a decision. We've decided to go with the Captains lights at both ends and we'll modulate the light, as necessary, down the road. The idea of the headlamps, while tempting, is not my preference for curling up with a good tome and a glass of port. Thanks all.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:50 AM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
[QUOTE=ice-breaker;34470(Of course, Jim Bennett would say they should have been on the driver's side - ).[/QUOTE]

You know it. LOL

I put two above the bed. What is nice about the ones I bought is the directional light they project, that does not get into my sleeping brides eyes.

I never put them at the dinette, and not sure I ever would. The lights there are more than enough to read by, and if I sit on the drivers side (beside the bath) the light does not shine on my sleeping beauties face.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:17 PM   #14

Trailer: No more Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by onetim View Post
I have the lights in corners at the head of the bed in our 5.0. However, I'm not crazy about them. They are bright spotlights. I prefer a soft diffuse lighting for reading and I will eventually try to find a replacement for them.
Has anyone found a source for replacement bulbs? The originals are too bright, there are rated at 5600-6200K. I'm looking for more of a warm light, 3000K and under. The original bulbs have the MR16 GU5.3 base, AC12V and 1.2W. Looking around the internet there are very few sources of 1.2 watt bulbs, mostly in China with high shipping costs. I did find a few US based sources that have 3 and 3+W bulbs but would prefer the 1.2W.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:21 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I think you may have to replace the entire light or at least the base socket to the conventional type. I bought some led bulbs in anticipation of the harshness but when I saw the bulb I realized I was SOL.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:23 PM   #16

Trailer: none
could some kind of filter be placed over bulb to dim? i'm imagining there's some kind of lens that screws over the bulb?
cargofool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:43 PM   #17

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
I don't find the captain's light too bright for reading but I do find the cabinet LED lights too bright in the winter evenings. Somewhere on this forum someone posted a solution (like putting a colored Saran® wrap type of covering over them) but I'll be hanged if I can find it.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:14 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickM View Post
Has anyone found a source for replacement bulbs? The originals are too bright, there are rated at 5600-6200K. I'm looking for more of a warm light, 3000K and under. The original bulbs have the MR16 GU5.3 base, AC12V and 1.2W. Looking around the internet there are very few sources of 1.2 watt bulbs, mostly in China with high shipping costs. I did find a few US based sources that have 3 and 3+W bulbs but would prefer the 1.2W.
I found Feit bulbs at the local hardware store. They are 3000K. But 7 watts. The big draw was that they are dimmable, and produce much less Radio Frequency Interference than the standard bulbs. I knew I was going to be using more electricity, but it is still less than .6 amp and since we only use them a couple of hours a day, I figured the solar could easily replenish the batteries.
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:28 PM   #19

Trailer: 2001 Bigfoot 21RB/ 73Boler/Trillium 5500
Reading light

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickM View Post
Have you looked at a light I sell for reading LED. Fiberglass Travel Trailers RV.
Chuck
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:59 PM   #20

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
I found Feit bulbs at the local hardware store. They are 3000K. But 7 watts. The big draw was that they are dimmable, and produce much less Radio Frequency Interference than the standard bulbs. I knew I was going to be using more electricity...
Not if you dim them to no more power than the stock lamps, right?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote