After Hatch Air Conditioner Install - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2018, 09:59 PM   #1

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19’ Sold in 2023
After Hatch Air Conditioner Install

I know anything is possible, but are Escape 17B prewired to facilitate A/C
installation after factory build? And any idea what ETI might charge for this work
Thanks everyone.
Duer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 10:28 PM   #2

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duer View Post
I know anything is possible, but are Escape 17B prewired to facilitate A/C installation after factory build? And any idea what ETI might charge for this work
Thanks everyone.
I’m pretty sure all Escapes are A/C ready as a standard feature now. Should ask ETI to be sure. The 120V wiring installed up to the hatch is huge as that would be quite challenging to add later. Not sure how they handle the thermostat though. I think you’ll miss out on the integration to the new digital unit that runs both the furnace and A/C unless you figure out a way to wire it all up yourself. With the older A/C’s it wasn’t an issue because the controls were on the unit and the furnace has a separate thermostat.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 05:57 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I’m pretty sure all Escapes are A/C ready as a standard feature now. Should ask ETI to be sure. The 120V wiring installed up to the hatch is huge as that would be quite challenging to add later. Not sure how they handle the thermostat though. I think you’ll miss out on the integration to the new digital unit that runs both the furnace and A/C unless you figure out a way to wire it all up yourself. With the older A/C’s it wasn’t an issue because the controls were on the unit and the furnace has a separate thermostat.
Thanks rubicon327,

I've heard or at least think I recall hearing that now ETI prewires their trailers for future A/C installs. But, to your point about the thermostat- that's an interesting challenge-a surface run wire could/might be disguised somewhere that's not an eyesore.
However, I was not aware of the new digital unit that runs both the furnace and A/C , but that's what this great forum is all about.
The groups experience and knowledge, I hope one day to be of some value to other owners as well. For now I'm just asking questions and trying not to be a 'Boat Anchor'

Cheers
Old 03-25-2018, 11:34 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
that's an interesting challenge-a surface run wire could/might be disguised somewhere that's not an eyesore.
It is possible to run a wire under the vinyl covered ceiling. Some of us have done a similar thing running wires from the fan forward to over the dinette area to install a light. Worse case; a small visible bump in the vinyl.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 03:35 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I can only think that this much yellow 120 volt wire and the loop of control wire beside it is for the AC. These two pictures came together and you can see the roof is covered. There must be a channel in the foam cut that they use.
Attached Thumbnails
942FB220-17B4-466C-9E06-17508FC68E99.jpeg   172B941D-AC34-4E42-A8F4-7B98371496F1.jpeg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 06:45 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Our 19 does not have A/C. A while back I removed the screen from the manual vent where the A/C would go and saw both 120 vac and thermostat wiring ends under the vent trim.
Micheal K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 07:27 PM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Can’t get any better than that...and very easy to check for.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 08:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micheal K View Post
Our 19 does not have A/C. A while back I removed the screen from the manual vent where the A/C would go and saw both 120 vac and thermostat wiring ends under the vent trim.
For clarification do you know if your 19 came with the a/c prep option?
I spoke with another escape owner that mentioned the above option includes roof reinforcing to carry the addition weight of the a/c unit as well as being pre-wired?
Sounds like a beefed up roof panel would be required to take load flex while underway??
Old 03-25-2018, 08:35 PM   #9

Quote:
For clarification do you know if your 19 came with the a/c prep option?
I spoke with another escape owner that mentioned the above option includes roof reinforcing to carry the addition weight of the a/c unit as well as being pre-wired?
Sounds like a beefed up roof panel would be required to take load flex while underway??
Ours is a 2017 (gen 2). We did not order an A/C ready option (I don’t recall it even being an option on the build sheet). Like rubicon327 mentioned, my understanding is also that ETI has been building all their trailers A/C ready for a number of years which includes a roof capable of bearing the weight. If you’re looking at buying an older unit, I’d try to find out the trailer build number and then confirm build specs with ETI.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:40 PM   #10

Quote:
This is great if ETI is also running thermostat wire. I wonder where the other end is left? I assume not pre-terminated on a digital thermostat because I thought units ordered without A/C still have the old mechanical type furnace thermostat?
Old 03-25-2018, 08:50 PM   #11

Quote:
For clarification do you know if your 19 came with the a/c prep option? I spoke with another escape owner that mentioned the above option includes roof reinforcing to carry the addition weight of the a/c unit as well as being pre-wired?
Quote:
Ours is a 2017 (gen 2). We did not order an A/C ready option (I don’t recall it even being an option on the build sheet). Like rubicon327 mentioned, my understanding is also that ETI has been building all their trailers A/C ready for a number of years which includes a roof capable of bearing the weight. If you’re looking at buying an older unit, I’d try to find out the trailer build number and then confirm build specs with ETI.
Correct, the new trailers are ready for an A/C without modification. Early 19’s (not sure about other models) required a roof reinforcement piece to be added. We removed our rooftop A/C for a mini-split so attached is a clear picture of the roof area where the A/C goes on an older 19. Note the raised panel.
Attached Images

Old 03-25-2018, 08:52 PM   #12

Quote:
This is great if ETI is also running thermostat wire. I wonder where the other end is left? I assume not pre-terminated on a digital thermostat because I thought units ordered without A/C still have the old mechanical type furnace thermostat?
Actually, I was curious about that too so pulled my thermostat off the wall and there was indeed an extra unconnected cable (2 conductors I think) behind the stat. And yes, I still have the mechanical thermostat.

Edit: Checked after posting and found there’s just one conductor unconnected behind the stat.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Actually, I was curious about that too so pulled my thermostat off the wall and there was indeed an extra unconnected cable (2 conductors I think) behind the stat. And yes, I still have the mechanical thermostat.
Thanks for the info. That’s a nice touch by ETI to have that wire already routed in addition to the 120V power.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Thanks for the info. That’s a nice touch by ETI to have that wire already routed in addition to the 120V power.
Just went out to our trailer to confirm - there’s only one wire (not a two conducor cable) under the thermostat.
Old 03-26-2018, 07:14 AM   #15

Quote:
Just went out to our trailer to confirm - there’s only one wire (not a two conducor cable) under the thermostat.
Hi Micheal K,
Thanks for all the leg work...
So I'm a little slow over here in Onterrible, we're still having winter...lol
There is an extra wire in the area of your furnace thermostat as Rubicon327 implied in his earlier post asking... "Wonder where the extra wire terminates"

The extra single conductor wire simply completes the switch circuit from the thermostat
back up to the A/C input circuit - telling/signalling the unit when to turn on and shut of by the simple old fashion mercury tip switch mechanism??
Old 03-26-2018, 08:17 AM   #16

Quote:
The extra single conductor wire simply completes the switch circuit from the thermostat
back up to the A/C input circuit - telling/signalling the unit when to turn on and shut of by the simple old fashion mercury tip switch mechanism??
No, the old mechanical heating only thermostat would be replaced with a digital one that controls both the furnace and the A/C. Something doesn't sound right though. You need more than one conductor from the A/C to the thermostat. The wiring diagram I found online shows three wires. It also calls for a +12V from the converter to be wired up to the A/C directly and two wires from the furnace have to go up to the A/C control box as well. I suppose this last part is optional if you leave the furnace on it's own thermostat. Best to ask Escape!
Old 03-26-2018, 08:50 AM   #17

Quote:
No, the old mechanical heating only thermostat would be replaced with a digital one that controls both the furnace and the A/C. Something doesn't sound right though. You need more than one conductor from the A/C to the thermostat. The wiring diagram I found online shows three wires. It also calls for a +12V from the converter to be wired up to the A/C directly and two wires from the furnace have to go up to the A/C control box as well. I suppose this last part is optional if you leave the furnace on it's own thermostat. Best to ask Escape!
Thanks rubicon32,
I agree on the single conductor my thought process was too simplistic.
I’m calling ETI today, but a 3 hour time delta means mid-dayish til I know something.
Will report back if I’m able to get some answers today.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:24 AM   #18

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I remember way back when Escape had 2 thermostats and 2 a/c models. The Coleman 9200 was offered and IMHO a better fit for the 19 Escape. However Reace could not wire the new digital thermostat that control both heat and a/c with the smaller a/c. Reace was purchasing the interior shroud for the digital wiring and it was not compatible with the smaller a/c, thus the needed switch to the 11.500 btu model for the digital to work. It is a nice set up now, with one thermostat controlling both and the ability to have it switch automatically to maintain a preset setting. Similar to what is now offered in cars.
Old 03-26-2018, 10:10 AM   #19

Quote:
You need more than one conductor from the A/C to the thermostat.
Sorry for creating any consternation on this, when I first noticed the wiring under the vent trim, I didn't pay close attention to what was there other than a dangling low voltage pigtail and the 120 Vac wires. Just pulled the trim off again and found at least 3 other low voltage conductors tucked into the gap in addition to the original one I noticed.
Old 03-26-2018, 10:32 AM   #20

So my mechanical thermostat has 2 wires connected: presumably +12Vdc and the switched call for heat referenced to dc ground at the furnace.

I guess the single unconnected wire would then be wired to provide a switched call for cooling (so +12Vdc signal) to the A/C unit referenced to dc ground at the A/C unit.

This all seems fine for a mechanical heat/cool thermostat, but a digital thermostat would also need dc ground at the thermostat to power it unless it's a power stealing stat. Think I'll have to ask ETI if they're willing to share the wiring diagram for the trailer.