Allure Flooring Installation Questions - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2015, 02:47 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Allure Flooring Installation Questions

I will be installing some Allure vinyl plank flooring in our 19, and have a couple questions for those who've worked with it.

I understand this is a floating floor, with a grip strip on each plank that adheres it to the next one. So, at the flooring edge, would I remove the trim and install the flooring all the way to the cabinet edge, then reinstall the trim to hold the edge down?

Also, the rail at the bottom of the screen door must be moved so the new floor can go underneath it. The vinyl planks are too thick to do it otherwise. So regarding the removal of the rail, I see a couple screws at the door jamb end and the middle, but am unsure about how it works at the screen side opposite the jamb. Any tips on how to get the rail out of the way?

Thanks for any info.

Robert

Old 05-10-2015, 03:09 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I will be installing some Allure vinyl plank flooring in our 19, and have a couple questions for those who've worked with it.

I understand this is a floating floor, with a grip strip on each plank that adheres it to the next one. So, at the flooring edge, would I remove the trim and install the flooring all the way to the cabinet edge, then reinstall the trim to hold the edge down?

Also, the rail at the bottom of the screen door must be moved so the new floor can go underneath it. The vinyl planks are too thick to do it otherwise. So regarding the removal of the rail, I see a couple screws at the door jamb end and the middle, but am unsure about how it works at the screen side opposite the jamb. Any tips on how to get the rail out of the way?

Thanks for any info.

Robert
Thinking of the same flooring Robert and I have the same questions needing a answer too .
Hope someone has done this and can help out . Pat

Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 03:20 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
I

Also, the rail at the bottom of the screen door must be moved so the new floor can go underneath it. The vinyl planks are too thick to do it otherwise.Any tips on how to get the rail out of the way?

Thanks for any info.

Robert
For question 1, yes, remove the trim, install plank and re-install trim.

For question 2, that might open up a world of hurt. Wouldn't you have to shorten the screen etc. ? I think that I'd try installing the floor on either side, more work I know, but it doesn't open up another can of worms.

Ron
Ron in BC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 03:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
For question 1, yes, remove the trim, install plank and re-install trim.

For question 2, that might open up a world of hurt. Wouldn't you have to shorten the screen etc. ? I think that I'd try installing the floor on either side, more work I know, but it doesn't open up another can of worms.

Ron
Thanks Ron. That's what I was thinking too, but it just wouldn't leave enough of an edge for the rail to function installing it that way. The Allure planks are about 3.8mm thick, or .149 inches. The screen rail is very thin, and the planks would be almost flush with it -- leaving no edge for the bottom rail to engage. Since the screen material just slides into the articulating black plastic at the bottom, I don't think shortening the screen would be necessary. I suppose I could install the planks just short of the screen rail on either side, leaving enough of an edge for the rail to work as normal, but that wouldn't be a very tidy installation from an appearance standpoint.
Old 05-10-2015, 03:52 PM   #5

Trailer: ?
Quote:

I got a manual for the screen with my trailer. If you don't have one it can be downloaded: http://www.seikiscreensystems.com/pr...aplus_left.pdf

It looks like you may need to disassemble, trim slightly, and reinstall the screen.
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 04:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamman View Post
I got a manual for the screen with my trailer. If you don't have one it can be downloaded: http://www.seikiscreensystems.com/pr...aplus_left.pdf

It looks like you may need to disassemble, trim slightly, and reinstall the screen.
Thanks Doug! Just what I needed. According to the manual, the rail just slides into the screen bottom. No screw there. I should be able to just remove the two screws, and pull it up starting on the door jamb side. It apparently has an adhesive backing so might be difficult to pull up, but we'll see. Considering the thinness of the Allure flooring material, I might be able to slide the rail back into position without any other mods.
Attached Images
File Type: png bottom rail.PNG (94.0 KB, 19 views)
Old 05-10-2015, 05:36 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Removing and replacing both the trim and the screen door are both beneficial and easy to do. I did that for my cork install.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 11:56 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Allure

Will they allow Allure flooring to be installed as a custom flooring on a new build? We are a ways from build sheet sign off and haven't asked that question yet.
Greg A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 12:12 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I think they will only substitute another vinyl, but you could always ask.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 12:21 AM   #10

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
There was discussion, either here or on FGRV, about Allure not being recommended for use in areas with large swings in temperature and humidity. I suggest you go to Allure web site and explore the limitations.
I have it in my kitchen, but if I was paying somebody else to do it, I'd go with a single sheet of vinyl.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote