alternate bike storage on tongue - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2014, 12:21 AM   #11

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
Any thoughts on either the arkiva products or the bike bunk? I have no storage box on the 21, so the tongue is clear from the tanks back.
One of the FiberglassRV members (floyd) has a bike rack on the front of his Scamp and is a big advocate of this style of setup; his custom-built rig is shown in Bike Rack on 13' Scamp - post #5. How well this works is heavily dependent lots of details:
  • distance from trailer body to tug body
  • length of the bikes
  • width of the bikes (long handlebars or short?)
  • width of the tug body
  • shape of the trailer body (with a sloped front raising the bikes allows the handlebars and thus the rest of the bikes to be further back)
  • shape of the tug body (a high enough bike could pass right over a low enough truck box in a tight turn)
Floyd has a Scamp with a low body and sloped front and a Ranger pickup with an exceptionally narrow box (the Flareside), his handlebars are almost at trailer roof level, and his bikes are matched and nicely nested together. An Escape 21' is taller and has a more upright front, anything towing one is wider than that Ranger, and you may not have bikes that package so nicely... so I suggest checking out the details.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 12:23 AM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
So armed with this new knowledge (and a look at a far better site than the arvika one), I see that they do make a clamp on version, which seems to fit the Escape.

I see prices of $300 for each main piece plus $50 for the (optional in my case) support arm. Not horrible (??).

Bouterse, do you know when you are going to be at ETI with the arvika?

Old 12-03-2014, 12:29 AM   #13

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
We are picking our trailer up May 26th and heading to the Osoyoos rally. We won't be installing the bike rack until we get back to Ontario.

Jack
bouterse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 12:32 AM   #14

The Arvika Travel Trailer Bracket 7000-AF detail page isn't too bad, and the instructions show all the parts... definitely clamp-on. If you're handy, the bracket might be home-buildable.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:07 PM   #15

Thats a shame bouterse but I understand.

Brian thanks for the riv-nut link, was news to me, and the Floyd scamp thread. Wish I had a scrap heap to build my own.

For the short term looks like the answer is laying 'er flat in the bed with some padding, then moving to some form of what Bob showed (fork mount). I did see a dual receiver hitch (?) when looking, that might be ok later on.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:49 PM   #16

Quote:
Brian thanks for the riv-nut link, was news to me, and the Floyd scamp thread. Wish I had a scrap heap to build my own.
Although I applaud Floyd for his efficiency, the bits needed can be purchased from do-it-yourselfer stores - even Home Depot carries steel and aluminum sections in various profiles now.

Quote:
I did see a dual receiver hitch (?) when looking, that might be ok later on.
A dual-receiver extension has lots of problems. The main one is that it is an extension - moving the ball further from the tug's rear axle increases the leverage of the trailer's tongue weight and mass, leading to rear axle load issues and control issues. The second - minor in comparison - is that addition of one more set of potentially sloppy joints.

I have one of these:
Class III/IV Dual Hitch Receiver Extension | Princess Auto
It is intended to mount a bike rack or other accessory in the upper receiver box, and a ball mount for towing in the lower receiver box.
I use it for only the bike rack on the back of our motorhome, where I need both extension (so the bike handlebars clear the RV's rear end cap) and height (for departure angle clearance). I would not want to tow with it, and the one time I towed a car on a rented trailer, I put the bikes inside the car rather than use the rack and extension.
I notice that although this particular product is solidly constructed and is described as "ClassIII/IV", it has barely-into-class-3 trailer capacity (4000 lb) and only 350 lb tongue weight capacity... extensions are bad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8527632.jpg (29.6 KB, 134 views)
Old 12-11-2014, 06:39 PM   #17

I'm starting to understand why people go for a (suitable) hitch rack and call it a day.