Amazon won't ship my faucet? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2016, 12:58 AM   #1
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Amazon won't ship my faucet?

Picked out a nice American Standard Stainless Steel faucet with a pull down sprayer, and was planning to swap out the stock plastic faucet when I find myself at home. During checkout it generated an alert that they were sorry, but could not ship it to my address. Whuh?

$45 more in local stores. I smell a rat at American Standard.
Attached Thumbnails
012611490507.jpg  
Old 04-02-2016, 01:22 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Picked out a nice American Standard Stainless Steel faucet with a pull down sprayer, and was planning to swap out the stock plastic faucet when I find myself at home. During checkout it generated an alert that they were sorry, but could not ship it to my address. Whuh?

Hi: rbryan4... I think you've been "Hosed". Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 01:23 AM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Looks like contraband to me....
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 01:29 AM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Amazon.com won't ship to Canada. Perhaps you need to log on to Amazon.Texas?
Old 04-02-2016, 06:36 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Amazon.com won't ship to Canada.
Only on some things. I have bought a fair bit of stuff off .com when it was not available on .ca. Mostly larger items though. This is where the sink for my 5.0 was sourced.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 07:54 AM   #6

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
We bought the Anderson windows when building our cabin from Menards. Seven years later we were adding an addition to the cabin and went back to Menards to get the Anderson windows we needed.
No such luck ,Menards no longer sold Anderson Windows
The reason was that HD went to Anderson and made it clear that if Anderson wanted to sell windows at HD they could only sell them through HD. It's the Walmart business model.
We went to HD to buy the windows and found the price was now 20% higher than what we paid at Menards. My point is that it may not be American Standard or Amazon playing games
I ended up buying Marvin Windows from a local Lumber yard for less than the Andersons from HD and the local guy delivered them for free.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 07:54 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:

Any chance you were logged on to amazon.ca?
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 08:17 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamman View Post
Any chance you were logged on to amazon.ca?
He would have noticed right away. The price would have been triple that of a US base BORG.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 09:31 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Were you connected to the internet in CA?

I set my VPN to a server in Canada and tried to buy
American Standard 4175.300.075 Colony Soft Pull-Down Kitchen Faucet, Stainless Steel - Touch On Kitchen Sink Faucets - Amazon.com

no go, Amazon read my ip address and said they couldn't ship. Changed the VPN to point to a US server, no problem.
tdf-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 10:35 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Thomas,
You make a valid point. We do not realize that many of the IP addresses assigned by our local providers indicate near exactly where we are located. It does not take much for a retailer like Amazon to check your address and deny the sale. There are also allegations that web sites like (but not limited to) Amazon will show different prices depending on where you are geographically located.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 10:48 AM   #11
Site Team

I was on Amazon.com, logged in to my prime account, and shipping it to my home default address. IP or ISP doesn't enter into it. The product and the shipping address do. I've bought dozens of things on Amazon, while I was in a number of different countries. The site didn't give a reason for the shipping restriction, but I think it's pretty obvious that American Standard won't sell that faucet in San Antonio via Amazon - probably due to a deal with local retailers. I know the restriction is not from Amazon. They'd sell the whole world if they could. I'll just choose another one. I don't mind shopping locally, but I'm not going to pay 35-40% more for the privilege.

EDIT: Just to prove my suspicion, I asked my wife to try and purchase it from our home PC. Same restriction. This is a first for us.
Old 04-02-2016, 11:18 AM   #12

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
If ur gonna be in Phoenix anytime soon, Robert, ship it to me and I'll tuck it away in the garage until you come through. Or I can just add a label and ship it on over to you but then you'd have some shipping. Assuming of course they'd sell one to AZ.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 11:53 AM   #13
Site Team

Thanks for the offers to hold it for me, but it doesn't have to be that exact faucet. It's just one I liked.

Plot thickens though: called Amazon this morning and they advised there should not have been a shipping restriction. They think it's a database error that somehow references another product that IS restricted. Supposedly they're fixing it.
Old 04-02-2016, 11:59 AM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0TA
Make sure your billing address and the address you're shipping to are the same.
algonquin50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 12:14 PM   #15

Trailer: 2015 17B Sold 5/2016
Quote:
Thanks for the offers to hold it for me, but it doesn't have to be that exact faucet. It's just one I liked.

Plot thickens though: called Amazon this morning and they advised there should not have been a shipping restriction. They think it's a database error that somehow references another product that IS restricted. Supposedly they're fixing it.
Out of curiosity I just logged onto Amazon.com and it appears the "error" has been fixed, they'd ship it to me - - - if I were to complete the order.
2012 4Runner
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 12:35 PM   #16

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
We do not realize that many of the IP addresses assigned by our local providers indicate near exactly where we are located.
... or a thousand kilometres away. I normally use a mobile network connection and when a web service says anything about my location, that usually means laughing at how wrong it is; common locations are somewhere near Calgary (about 300 km away) or in Manitoba (two provinces away). Back in the dialup days it was almost as bad. The location is precise, but it is related to the ISP's registered address, not mine. Wired internet service probably means a more relevant location.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 01:00 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
... or a thousand kilometres away. I normally use a mobile network connection and when a web service says anything about my location, that usually means laughing at how wrong it is; common locations are somewhere near Calgary (about 300 km away) or in Manitoba (two provinces away). Back in the dialup days is was almost as bad. The location is precise, but it is related to the ISP's registered address, not mine. Wired internet service probably means a more relevant location.
Exactly. Add to that anonymizers, proxies, VPNs and Browser Networks, and your location can be anything you want.
Old 04-02-2016, 01:20 PM   #18

Trailer: 2016 21 Escape "Wishbone", 2017 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
I had to order Horst Probes on Amazon shipped to my home address in Montana and then spend $25 to ship them to Chilliwack via USPS. Amazon states on their website they cannot ship hardware to Canada. So much for NAFTA.
Old 04-02-2016, 01:27 PM   #19

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_bullet View Post
I had to order Horst Probes on Amazon shipped to my home address in Montana and then spend $25 to ship them to Chilliwack via USPS. Amazon states on their website they cannot ship hardware to Canada. So much for NAFTA.
Did you try ordering them off their Canadian site? I know I can set up different shipping addresses on my US account. I've not tried it on my Canadian Amazon account. I've ordered stuff off their Canadian site (mostly books not offered on the US site) and had it shipped to me without any problems. I never thought of having stuff shipped elsewhere with that account.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 01:32 PM   #20

Trailer: 2016 21 Escape "Wishbone", 2017 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Did you try ordering them off their Canadian site? I know I can set up different shipping addresses on my US account. I've not tried it on my Canadian Amazon account. I've ordered stuff off their Canadian site (mostly books not offered on the US site) and had it shipped to me without any problems. I never thought of having stuff shipped elsewhere with that account.
Never thought of having to jump thru that hoop. Just checked Amazon.ca->Your search "horst probes" did not match any products.