And yet more option questions - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2014, 06:42 PM   #1

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
And yet more option questions

I'm told I can get the same chip guard on my 5.0 as is used on the front of the trailer front storage boxes, can someone describe it please?

This one may or may not be possible. I've read where one or 2 folks have gone with flush/recessed pedestal table leg mounts, any idea if they are more or less wobbly then the standard raised ones?
Old 03-05-2014, 07:05 PM   #2

Rhino lining is what they use on the boxes can't speak to the table legs.
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:12 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Also note that spraying the Rhino Lining on the front of the trailer ( up to the belt line ) cost about $500 and the storage box which came along later was $700 sprayed with the same stuff ( I think ). Owners opted for the box.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:17 PM   #4

It's the 5.0 so the box is not an option, but for $500 I'll hold off till it gets chipped. Hadn't seen a price on it.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:21 PM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Bob, I found the front boxes are really tough... I mean really rough. I'm going to do as you... wait, then will probably apply a DIY Grizzly Grip Truck Bed Liner coating for bed liners, camper top, pick up truck
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:27 PM   #6

I've been driving a lot of gravel roads with Toad for five years. I've got the vinyl gravel guards. They don't cover a lot of the front and I sometimes forget them at home.
I don't have any plans to coat the front of the trailer any time soon. Have a few small chips camouflaged by the squished bugs.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:38 PM   #7

3m Makes the clear mask material used on vehicles for rock protection and you can install it yourself. It is not that costly and comes in many sizes etc

Cypher
Old 03-05-2014, 07:56 PM   #8

Trailer: 2022 Coachmen Nova 20C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherian View Post
3m Makes the clear mask material used on vehicles for rock protection and you can install it yourself. It is not that costly and comes in many sizes etc

Cypher
We put that 3M film on the front of our 2005 Subaru when it was new and the paint is still perfect.
I asked Tammy if they'd ever used it on a trailer and she said no, just the bed liner.
I got a roll of the film planning to install it on the front of our new 21, but I ended up deciding on the storage box. I'll probably use it in the wheel wells.
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:30 PM   #9

I note that 3M recommends you use an installer, not DIY and that the warranty on the product isn't valid if you DIY.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:34 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Isn't it Line-X Escape uses? Though the Rhino liner has improved over the years, the Line-X is better known for its toughness.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:42 PM   #11

I just talked to Kim yesterday about some questions asked of me by a couple viewing my trailer . She confirmed Rhino after I asked if it was but perhaps it was a mistake on her part. Simple enough to call and find out but from the OPs statements I believe the cost is prohibitive at the moment. I plan on having my wheel wells done as I will be on a lot of macadam roads when I go to Maine. Something else I learned was the stated dry weight for the 19 does not include the standard 12v battery. I would have though it was and only changed if someone wanted the dual 6 volts.

Cypher
Old 03-06-2014, 12:55 AM   #12

Can't speak for FG trailers, but it's standard practice for conventional trailers to NOT include the battery, water, or propane in the dry weight.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:22 AM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Can't speak for FG trailers, but it's standard practice for conventional trailers to NOT include the battery, water, or propane in the dry weight.
Fiberglass trailer manufacturers are notorious for NOT including the battery, water or propane when publishing weights. That's why folks are so surprised that their 1200 lb 13' Scamp ends up weighing 1850 pounds under tow. One of the most popular threads on FiberglassRV is Trailer Weights in the Real World
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:38 AM   #14

Not my first day at the rodeo on dry weights of vehicles, planes etc. I understand the not including the propane, water IE stuff that is variable and loaded by the owner. Most trailers unless they have no power in them what so ever have a battery. Since there is a choice on battery in the Escape I would have thought the battery most chosen would be included in the dry weight. Followed by an asteric next to it and a note at the bottom of the chart explaining the how much the weight changes if you choose the 2 6Volt Batteries. It was just something I found interesting since it is not noted in the brochure etc and there is always conversation on weight issues. And might help some folks doing the math for thier trailer.

Cypher
Old 03-06-2014, 10:05 AM   #15

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
If that difference in weight would make your trailer choice different I would agree, both the Escape 19 and 21 have approximately 1500 lbs of carrying capacity that needs consideration. If your needs are such that the full 1500 lbs would make a difference in choice, seems to me is the important decision. We are carrying everything on our backs, so to speak and unless we are cognizant of what we carry, some will overload the unit. Starting with a dry weight of 2500 lbs allow you some margin of addition. Options, fuel, water, batteries, and personal items all decrease your margin. I use 5,000 lbs as my maximum weight limit and as long as I'm under that amount by at least 10% I'm happy. Some may need to use 3500# limit and look at the smaller Escapes. Towing is a mindset, you have to consider everything you install or put in the trailer and your tow vehicle, just like eating, you watch what you eat if you need to watch your weight. But some people do not care what they eat nor what they tow, you see these large behemoths, some with 2-3 times the Escapes capacity going down the road being pulled by large trucks. Then there are the huge motor homes!!
Old 03-06-2014, 12:10 PM   #16

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
The water should obviously not be included in dry weight. That normally applies to other fluids (the only one of these which applies to a trailer would be propane) as well.

The battery should be included if it is included with the trailer. RV manufacturers have been known to leave them out, not just out of the dry weight spec, but physically not include them with the trailer; the dealer puts in the battery and so can put in a fresh one (other brands of RV can sit in inventory for years). Since Escape supplies and installs the battery, and one is included in the standard equipment, I believe that it should be included in the dry weight, but apparently it may not be.

Optional equipment is never included in a base weight... that's what "base" means. Only a base weight is normally included in specs, since there would be too many combinations of options to post all the corresponding weights; just add the weights of your options to the base. ETI only quotes a "dry" weight, which I believe should be assumed to be in base configuration, lacking any specific indication otherwise.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:17 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
... you see these large behemoths, some with 2-3 times the Escapes capacity going down the road being pulled by large trucks. Then there are the huge motor homes!!
You might be surprised by actual cargo carrying capacities. Bigfoot puts heavy axles in their trailers - which are not much bigger than an Escape 21' - and then sets the GVWR as high as possible so they have huge weight carrying capacity. On the other extreme, a large Class A motorhome on the common Ford chassis can easily have less than 2000 lb of cargo carrying capacity left of the ten-ton chassis capacity (remembering that this is in addition to water and fuel).

One reason for the biggest diesel Class A's is to get more cargo carrying capacity, but those usually get carried away with lunacy such as marble floors, and still end up with a small fraction of the 25-ton chassis capacity left for contents.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:20 PM   #18

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The reason I mention water Brian is that people need to realize a full tank of water needs to be calculated into their trailer weight if they are concerned with their capacity. I would not like to see someone purchase a unit that wold exceed their capacity just by filling up the fresh tank.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:25 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherian View Post
... Followed by an asteric next to it and a note at the bottom of the chart explaining the how much the weight changes if you choose the 2 6Volt Batteries.
I agree that this would be good information.

It would be good for any option, and some manufacturers actually include the weight (not just the cost) for each option in their specification charts. It would be a relatively easy item for an RV manufacturer to supply (presumably as a difference from standard), since they receive and install each item and could easily put one on a scale while they're doing that. We can do some of this ourselves, where specs are publicly available - batteries are a good example of this. Some would be difficult for us to do, but not bad for the factory; I recall that Escape has provided information about the added weight of each reinforced wall, for instance.
Old 03-06-2014, 01:23 PM   #20

Trailer: 2022 Coachmen Nova 20C
I'm planning to hit the scale on my way home with our new 21 in a couple weeks... I'll get the delivered weight - all options, full propane and no water - before we start loading her up with our stuff.
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote