Another Stereo Option - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 11-24-2014, 12:30 PM   #41

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
If you are thinking of getting the Jensen JHD910BT radio, it cannot use an enclosure similar to the one shown by Charlie Y in his photo...
Good point - the part of the Jensen AWM914 linked by Bobbito which sticks into the cabinet fits within the DIN-1 size, but the front part overlaps the face of the cabinet beyond the DIN opening, so it won't go flush into a DIN-1 housing. The JHD910BT won't fit a DIN housing at all.

Quote:
My JHD910BT radio is mounted flush with the face of the overhead cabinets. The radio is quite small and protrudes only a small amount in front of the cabinets.
The AWM914 has a smaller face height than the JHD910BT but is wider and protrudes into the cabinet about 3 inches; it is much deeper than the JHD910BT.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 04:02 PM   #42
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
I'm really happy with my Alpine setup. Remote comes in handy. I plugged a BT transmitter into the pre-amp outputs on the rear to use my portable BT speakers.

Amazon.com : Alpine CDESXM145BT Advanced Bluetooth CD / SiriusXM Receiver : Automotive

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 06:30 PM   #43

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Response to good advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I'm trying to figure out where you are fishing that you have FM reception and that the weather matters that much.
I like to camp at Harmon, Kane Lakes near Merritt and I don't get AM or FM at camp. I can get cell reception at certain locations near my site. I also get Sirius/XM, but they don't do weather to my knowledge.
If I look up Environment Canada weather for Rock Creek, I get a report from Osoyoos weather station, which is an hour away.
I just open the door to the trailer and look around, and go back to bed.
We fish the Merritt, Kamloops, 100 Mile House and Chilcotin lakes, and can't remember a time we couldn't at least get the local CBC FM station. Possibly they have more towers or the signals get around the peaks better. It concerns me when you say that you don’t easily get FM in your trailer in the mountains. Is your radio the standard ETI unit? I believe their current unit is a Magnadyne M3800BT (an automotive product).
Not everyone is as anal as we are about the weather, but the storms blow up very quickly. We have been caught a long ways from our dock/campsite and endured frightening ordeals. Also, on the last few days of a trip we may leave a day early if staying another day means packing up in the rain.
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 06:41 PM   #44

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
All my radios ( see photo ) are permanently set to CBC Radio One.
I use my Sirius satellite radio to get CBC when I can't get a decent signal ( Skagit River, for instance ).
Also have iTunes on the iPhone that works well with a JBL Bluetooth speaker. Have iPod Classic and a dock for it too.
Have a 7" DVD player and a 15" LCD TV under the bed ( at the back where I can't reach it, much less see it ).

I don't have extra insulation. Radio picks up just fine inside at home in North Van.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2014-11-24 at 4.34.09 PM.png  
Old 11-24-2014, 06:47 PM   #45

Quote:
If you are thinking of getting the Jensen JHD910BT radio, it cannot use an enclosure similar to the one shown by Charlie Y in his photo (below). I also have the JHD910BT radio and it looks like this:

My JHD910BT radio is mounted flush with the face of the overhead cabinets. The radio is quite small and protrudes only a small amount in front of the cabinets. Reace supplied and installed an antenna that is built into the walls of the trailer.
I see that a lot of people have had their FM antenna mounted on the roof, as it was on our previous trailer. From what I have read, height and orientation are important to FM antennas. Also, as we will be getting the extra insulation I worry about it impeding a within wall placement. For me, after reading articles on the internet, the jury is still out on the brand of antenna. Maybe some of the electrical whizzes can shed light on this OR if someone has experience using the standard ETI antenna in mountainous areas it might be enough.

Bob K
p.s. I have tried responding to several posts at once using Multiquote while logged in, and after selecting "Submit Reply" it stated I needed to log in then the forum window hung on me. So, one by one...
Old 11-24-2014, 06:52 PM   #46

Response to good advice.

Quote:
If you are thinking of getting the Jensen JHD910BT radio, it cannot use an enclosure similar to the one shown by Charlie Y in his photo (below). I also have the JHD910BT radio and it looks like this:

My JHD910BT radio is mounted flush with the face of the overhead cabinets. The radio is quite small and protrudes only a small amount in front of the cabinets. Reace supplied and installed an antenna that is built into the walls of the trailer.
I see that a lot of people have had their FM antenna mounted on the roof, as it was on our previous trailer. From what I have read, height and orientation are important to FM antennas. Also, as we will be getting the extra insulation I worry about it impeding a within wall placement. For me, after reading articles on the internet, the jury is still out on the brand of antenna. Maybe some of the electrical whizzes can shed light on this OR if someone has experience using the standard ETI antenna in mountainous areas it might be enough.

Bob K
p.s. I have tried responding to several posts at once using Multiquote while logged in, and after selecting "Submit Reply" it stated I needed to log in then the forum window hung on me. So, one by one...
Old 11-24-2014, 07:02 PM   #47

Quote:
I use my Sirius satellite radio to get CBC when I can't get a decent signal ( Skagit River, for instance ).
Also have iTunes on the iPhone that works well with a JBL Bluetooth speaker. Have iPod Classic and a dock for it too.
Have a 7" DVD player and a 15" LCD TV under the bed ( at the back where I can't reach it, much less see it ).

I don't have extra insulation. Radio picks up just fine inside at home in North Van.
Thanks for clarifying what your radio is. I thought you might have the ETI stereo. I don't think the portable unit can compete with an automotive or marine unit on FM range, so I plan to spring for a more permanent and more expensive unit.

Bob K
Old 11-24-2014, 07:06 PM   #48

Response to good advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Good point - the part of the Jensen AWM914 linked by Bobbito which sticks into the cabinet fits within the DIN-1 size, but the front part overlaps the face of the cabinet beyond the DIN opening, so it won't go flush into a DIN-1 housing. The JHD910BT won't fit a DIN housing at all.

The AWM914 has a smaller face height than the JHD910BT but is wider and protrudes into the cabinet about 3 inches; it is much deeper than the JHD910BT.
I take it you mean the Jensen unit would not fit into an ETI enclosure like Charlie Y’s. I’m leaning toward the standard ETI install, a Magnadyne M3800BT. I gather that they could install this in their enclosure like the Alpine unit Charlie Y installed in his Escape 21.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:09 PM   #49

Response to good advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
I'm really happy with my Alpine setup. Remote comes in handy. I plugged a BT transmitter into the pre-amp outputs on the rear to use my portable BT speakers.

Amazon.com : Alpine CDESXM145BT Advanced Bluetooth CD / SiriusXM Receiver : Automotive
I’m guessing that substituting the Alpine unit for the Magnadyne cost a bit more. Why the Alpine? I’m interested.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:21 PM   #50

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbito View Post
I take it you mean the Jensen unit would not fit into an ETI enclosure like Charlie Y’s.
Right, it does not appear that either of those Jensens would fit the enclosure shown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbito View Post
I’m leaning toward the standard ETI install, a Magnadyne M3800BT. I gather that they could install this in their enclosure like the Alpine unit Charlie Y installed in his Escape 21.
Right, the M3800-BT is described by Magnadyne as "single DIN", so my guess is that it mounts like common car stereo and would fit the enclosure. The Magandyne site is very short on details (no manuals, not even a photo) so that's hard to confirm.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 07:29 PM   #51

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Sorry to hear this. Do you think they could be fixed?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 09:37 PM   #52

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Sorry to hear this. Do you think they could be fixed?
Obviously beyond repair....

Cheers
Doug
Old 07-24-2015, 04:22 PM   #53

Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 2010 Highlander
We found a computer sound system with a woofer and two small speakers that used a 12 volt supply. We plug in a MP3 player that has 5 or six days of music on it and power it with a 12 volt cigarette lighter adaptor when it starts to die, evey ten hours or so.
I don't think my wife will allow me to use it out side the trailer, it might be wrecking other peoples enjoyment of nature. It furnishes backgroud music when I'm cooking or if it's a long rainy day.
We have iphones and ipods but this is a 29$ speaker and 30$ mp3 player so it can stay in the trailer cupboard all the time.
It has a radio tuner but I havent really used it.
It's low budget but it sounds really good so I've never been motivated to upgrade.
jxoco is offline   Reply With Quote