Another Stereo Option - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2014, 08:27 PM   #31

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapitre View Post
I ordered a Jensen FM/Bluetooth radio only & marine antenna had it shipped to ETI & they installed both of them during the build. The antenna is on the roof. It seems to have good reception. Jim (cpaharley) I believe has the same Radio.
It can be heard through a Bluetooth speaker.
I looked at the Jensen website and their DIN-1 AM/FM radio with Bluetooth states it is only for the US. Is this a mistake. I was sure that both AM and FM radio are the same in North America.

Here is a link to the Jensen unit:
JENSEN AM/FM Bluetooth Stereo

Another question about the Jensen installation. Was it in the cupboard? Also, what model of marine antenna did you buy? Does it fold down if you want to put a cover over the Escape?

Thanks,

Bob

Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 08:35 PM   #32
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbito View Post
Would a Poly Planar marine radio mount fit a DIN car stereo without modification? Also I never saw a response to Charlie's question about whether the ETI installation of a DIN-1 radio included an enclosure?

Thanks,

Bob K
ETI did install their own enclosure for my DIN-1 stereo; it is similar to the one from West Marine. They also installed their own external antenna, which is about a 6 inch rubber flexy model that works fine. They also ran the wire for our XM antenna (a small flat disk) up out the reefer vent and affixed it on top. I had them angle the stereo in our 21 so the remote could be used both through the outside door and our bed in front. Also had them mount the TV antenna connection under the overhead cabinet so the wires would be behind the TV.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wk3 dinette.jpg (80.5 KB, 217 views)

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 09:21 PM   #33

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Quote:
4) If we get the trailer prewired for stereo, does that include both antennas?
I have the prewire, I don't see an antenna cable at all. Have yet to do anything with it, use my Ipod and bluetooth speaker so far.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:31 PM   #34

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I looked at the Jensen website and their DIN-1 AM/FM radio with Bluetooth states it is only for the US. Is this a mistake. I was sure that both AM and FM radio are the same in North America.
Yes (and it is the same in Mexico and at least some of the Caribbean) but not everyone in the U.S. seems to be aware that there is another country on the continent!

The detailed specs (thanks for the link ) include:
Quote:
Selectable AM/FM Frequency Spacing US/European: USA Only
It appears that in this spec "US" means North America (where we have stations at odd multiples of 0.1 MHz, so... 88.1 88.3 88.5... and not 88.2 88.4 88.6); "European" would allow tuning to the even multiples. The receiver needs to be set up for one channel set or the other, and Jensen apparently sells this one only for the North American channels.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 02:25 AM   #35

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
I appreciate the advice and pictures from people.

We will get our Escape 21 prewired for stereo and have Reace install the same Jensen unit that Chapitre and cpaharley have. And based on Charlie Y's photo I believe we will just go with the same enclosure. Thanks Brian for confirming that "US" means North America. I had never seen such a statement in a product specification and just had to be sure on this.

Does anyone have any knowledge of whether most trailer top antenna are pretty much equal? If it made a big difference I would opt for a better unit. Is a marine antenna better? When we are in the mountains fly fishing, I rely on the weather reports to make plans. If there isn't a big difference we will opt for the rubber flex model.

Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 02:49 AM   #36

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
I'm trying to figure out where you are fishing that you have FM reception and that the weather matters that much.
I like to camp at Harmon, Kane Lakes near Merritt and I don't get AM or FM at camp. I can get cell reception at certain locations near my site. I also get Sirius/XM, but they don't do weather to my knowledge.
If I look up Environment Canada weather for Rock Creek, I get a report from Osoyoos weather station, which is an hour away.
I just open the door to the trailer and look around, and go back to bed.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 06:46 AM   #37

Trailer: 2014 5TA/ *012 17B (previous)
Quote:

We will get our Escape 21 prewired for stereo and have Reace install the same Jensen unit that Chapitre and cpaharley have. And based on Charlie Y's photo I believe we will just go with the same enclosure. Thanks Brian for confirming that "US" means North America. I had never seen such a statement in a product specification and just had to be sure on this.

Does anyone have any knowledge of whether most trailer top antenna are pretty much equal? If it made a big difference I would opt for a better unit. Is a marine antenna better? When we are in the mountains fly fishing, I rely on the weather reports to make plans. If there isn't a big difference we will opt for the rubber flex model.

Bob K
These are the two items that I bought:

-Jensen Water Proof 14" Antenna for JHD910

-Jensen Weatherproof JHD910BT Bluetooth Radio
'Have No Regrets'
Chapitre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:58 AM   #38
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:

Bob K
The ETI rubber flex is about 6 inches tall and seems to work fine. It's mounted in a spot near the radio which makes it easy to change if damaged; also has a screw-on mast which you could replace with a longer mast if you wished without having to remove the whole thing.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 11:30 AM   #39

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19 & 15B
Quote:
...We will get our Escape 21 prewired for stereo and have Reace install the same Jensen unit that Chapitre and cpaharley have. And based on Charlie Y's photo I believe we will just go with the same enclosure....
If you are thinking of getting the Jensen JHD910BT radio, it cannot use an enclosure similar to the one shown by Charlie Y in his photo (below). I also have the JHD910BT radio and it looks like this:

My JHD910BT radio is mounted flush with the face of the overhead cabinets. The radio is quite small and protrudes only a small amount in front of the cabinets. Reace supplied and installed an antenna that is built into the walls of the trailer.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 01:17 PM   #40

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I also get Sirius/XM, but they don't do weather to my knowledge.
Sirius/XM has a weather service - XM WX Weather - but it is a serious system for people that are willing to pay $100/month... and are in the U.S. It's much like SiriusXM Traffic - a data service for compatible equipment, not just an audio channel. WX is also much more expensive than Traffic.

I can understand if SiriusXM doesn't have an audio channel of weather (I don't see one), since it would require a bunch of channels to broadcast locally-appropriate content, or (like the Weather Network on TV) it would be very tedious to listen through the reports for everywhere else before the report for your location came on.

You could just listen to the news; for instance, channel 172
Quote:
Canada 360 by AMI
Canada's News/Weather by AMI-Audio
What You'll Hear
24/7 Canadian headline weather, news, sports & information by AMI-Audio, Canada’s English language audio service.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote