Any one add curtains? - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2018, 05:44 AM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 16
Any one add curtains?

Hi all,

Still working on our 19 build list with a looming May 8 deadline.
Escapes come with blinds but my other half is interested to learn what others have done for curtains?

She made the set we have in our 16 Scamp. But no rods in the escape.

I think that is a good thing as no rivet holes through the shell in the Escape.

Ideas, suggestions?

Cheers,
Bat Dude

Bat Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 08:02 AM   #2

Trailer: 1804 Schooner
IMO, not needed, except maybe for the entry door. The shades work fine.

Old 04-03-2018, 08:23 AM   #3

Trailer: 2016/ 5TA Spirit Bear
Shades work great. It is one of the features we really like about Escape.
Mark James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 08:42 AM   #4

Trailer: 2006 17B
We replaced the blinds with block out curtains in our 2006 trailer. Found "rods" that mount to underside of cabinets over the windows. They have sliding clips that hold the handmade curtains. So often campgrounds are bright at night with campers leaving on outside lights. The block out curtains keep the sleeping area of trailer dark. Why do campers (big rvs) put rope lights under their rigs? I never see the people outside......
riverplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 09:00 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
We too are just fine with the blinds Escape supplies. They block the view and most of the light.

I have never had an issue with bright light in a campground, most seem to have next to no light at all. Could be I mostly avoid the commercial ones.

A have had a bit light issues when doing a stopover at a Walmart or the like, but have learned to look for a darker spot when stopping there. One of the first times stopping in a store parking lot, I did not pay attention and there was a bright light, and not that the light itself really bothered me, I just close my eyes, but my brain kept telling me it must be morning and wanted to get going.

I want to get going when that sun comes up, so welcome light coming in the trailer then, and raise the blinds.

Either way I would not fret about anything now. You can wait and decide what is best for you after you get the trailer.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 09:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverplace View Post
We replaced the blinds with block out curtains in our 2006 trailer. Found "rods" that mount to underside of cabinets over the windows. They have sliding clips that hold the handmade curtains. So often campgrounds are bright at night with campers leaving on outside lights. The block out curtains keep the sleeping area of trailer dark. Why do campers (big rvs) put rope lights under their rigs? I never see the people outside......
First of all, if they are in big RVs, are they really “campers?” Second, the vast majority of them are clueless as to what the camping experience is really all about. They should simply stay at home, but in order to keep up with the Jones’s, they buy a big RV with all the “comforts” of home and do things that irritate their neighbors.
Old 04-03-2018, 09:20 AM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
First of all, if they are in big RVs, are they really “campers?” Second, the vast majority of them are clueless as to what the camping experience is really all about. They should simply stay at home, but in order to keep up with the Jones’s, they buy a big RV with all the “comforts” of home and do things that irritate their neighbors.
I don't find this at all. If you spend any length of time talking to people in these monsters, you may find they're really not much different than most of us... at least as far as their backgrounds. I've had wonderful conversations about 'the good old days' tent camping, car camping etc. with people who no longer wish to 'camp' that way. Their needs/wants and budget tell them they don't have to so they don't. I won't be arrogant that my choice is different from theirs. Who knows, if I had the money I may do the same thing... or not. I honestly don't know.

Now back to your regularly scheduled topic.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 09:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
To be fair, I know a few folks with big motorhomes that still camp in places where I do a lot of the time, but most do prefer the luxuries offered by many RV parks. Not my style, but it is their money and they are enjoying themselves.

Good friends of ours are like that, and do absolutely nothing to light up the outside of their trailer, preferring things to be dark. The biggest negative for them is they can't go everywhere we do, and cannot as easily tour the continent like we plan to do. And yes, they (especially the wife) does love her comforts of home. At least they do get out, even if they spend a lot of time every day running their businesses remotely.

Here is a photo of use on the desert by Quartzsite a month or so ago. Note how I strategically placed our trailer a ways out in front to have it appear larger.

Hochs and us at Quartzsite.jpg
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-03-2018, 09:29 AM   #9

I cannot totally disagree with you Donna, but I have been doing this long enough (as you have) to meet both types. But typically the ones who leave lights on all night long are the types I referred to. I have acquaintances with big RVs who are as you describe; I also know some who are in fact clueless. I was really railing about the “inconsiderate” bunch.

And I just camped next to a large motor home lit up like a Christmas tree all night long with kids up and out at 6:00 am carrying on and running across everyone else’s campsites....
Old 04-03-2018, 09:31 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Who knows, if I had the money I may do the same thing... or not. I honestly don't know.

Now back to your regularly scheduled topic.
I know at least for now I wouldn't. Maybe I would have more luxury, but not much more size.

Yeah, yeah, once again we digress.