Attached 30amp cord removable? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2015, 03:21 PM   #1

Trailer: Shopping tv 2014 Nissan Pathfinder
Attached 30amp cord removable?

Getting ready to finish my build sheet ha ha ha and I'm trying to decide on leaving the 30amp cord as is or getting the removable.
I was leaning toward the built it so I wouldn't accidently leave it somewhere Then there is the replacement factor if it breaks or wears out the removable cord would be so much easier to replace.

Opinions??

Thanks,
Marion
mk1549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 03:27 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
For what it is worth, we got the removable cord and are happy with it. I read a post either here or on FGRV about small insects climbing up a cord and into the trailer. I mentioned that to dear wife, and that settled it. We were going with the removable cord.
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 03:32 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
For me, I always do a couple of complete circuits around the trailer when we are packing up to go. Thus, It would be very difficult to forget to remove and pack up the 30 amp cord. We got the detachable cord and are happy that we did so.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 03:47 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
I wouldn't have anything other than the removable after fighting the other kind in my pop-up. Leaving it behind? Highly unlikely as, like ice-breaker, I do a walk-around after hitching up and even pulling the trailer forward a bit. Leaving it at home? Highly unlikely as I detach it and put it right in the truck bed.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 03:48 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I'm happy with the standard cord. When I need it, it's always where I left it.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:54 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 Classic
The 30 AMP standard cord is what we have. I'm leaning towards replacing it for another one, again using the same priciple. The reason for us to replace it is just because we use 230V overhere and the 30AMP cord is way to thick for my taste. Using 230V it will be able to run 60AMP's trough it.
The standard campingground extension overhere in Europe is about 2-4 AMP.

So we will settle for a "normal"sized cord for our needs but it will be way longer than the 30feet we have now. Electricity extensions seem to be further away than 30 feet most of the time.
Seef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 04:02 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I had the built in one, and after lots of frustration with the cord getting snagged inside, and breaking a couple of the tabs off using it in really cold weather, I opted to convert it to a removable one. I only wish I had of done it sooner. Something I would highly recommend.

I don't buy in at all to the forgetting it thing. Other hoses, your chairs and portable table, patio mats, and all sorts of other things, along with the electrical cord, all have to be gathered and stowed. When you do your walk around, you would see it. I stow mine away right after I disconnect it, while it is still in my paws.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 04:03 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
There has been one or more extensive threads on this topic. Many of us have converted or ordered the detachable cord. On my previous Scamp I hated stuffing the sometimes wet and muddy cord into a locker with other electrical connections. On the Scamp I converted it detachable and was happy with it. On the Escape it was a no brainer for me. Also, the advantage is that in situations where you really don't need the heavy 30 amp cord, with an adaptor, you can plug in a lighter conventional cord.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 04:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk1549 View Post
Getting ready to finish my build sheet ha ha ha and I'm trying to decide on leaving the 30amp cord as is or getting the removable.
I was leaning toward the built it so I wouldn't accidently leave it somewhere Then there is the replacement factor if it breaks or wears out the removable cord would be so much easier to replace.

Opinions??

Thanks,
Marion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I had the built in one, and after lots of frustration with the cord getting snagged inside, and breaking a couple of the tabs off using it in really cold weather, I opted to convert it to a removable one. I only wish I had of done it sooner. Something I would highly recommend.

I don't buy in at all to the forgetting it thing. Other hoses, your chairs and portable table, patio mats, and all sorts of other things, along with the electrical cord, all have to be gathered and stowed. When you do your walk around, you would see it. I stow mine away right after I disconnect it, while it is still in my paws.
No Jim your wrong people do forget things believe it or not I was one of those kids that was left at a gas station while on vacation with the family...Accident my foot!
If the cord was going to be left somewhere it would be at home but I guess that's what a check off list is for.......
Again you have all given me food for thought.
Thank you,
Marion
Old 02-16-2015, 04:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
There has been one or more extensive threads on this topic. Many of us have converted or ordered the detachable cord. On my previous Scamp I hated stuffing the sometimes wet and muddy cord into a locker with other electrical connections. On the Scamp I converted it detachable and was happy with it. On the Escape it was a no brainer for me. Also, the advantage is that in situations where you really don't need the heavy 30 amp cord, with an adaptor, you can plug in a lighter conventional cord.

Ron
Good point
Thanks
Marion
Old 02-16-2015, 04:44 PM   #11

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
On the flip side, there was a thread where someone made a bag and zip-tied it to the intake hole (on the inside). If the cord was wet or icky, any water or debris was kept inside that bag and the cord didn't get caught on stuff in the storage area. I can't remember what it was made of or who did it. No surprise there. But I thought it clever.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 04:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
On the flip side, there was a thread where someone made a bag and zip-tied it to the intake hole (on the inside). If the cord was wet or icky, any water or debris was kept inside that bag and the cord didn't get caught on stuff in the storage area. I can't remember what it was made of or who did it. No surprise there. But I thought it clever.
That is a good idea
Old 02-16-2015, 04:58 PM   #13

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
Hey Karen, that would be me again. Here is the link.

Latest Mods. Post #7. ( trouble pasting the link)

The bag does what it is intended to do keeping dirt and bugs out but I did have water get in the cord hole. Now thinking of getting the removable one. At least this a change that can be made at a later time.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 05:00 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...html#post25914
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 05:05 PM   #15

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
When I had my Scamp 19 with a non-removable cord, something I will never have again, I found a vinyl wastebasket that, laying on its side, was a snug fit from one side of the compartment to the other so that as I fed the cord in through the mouse hole, it would coil up inside the wastebasket. After that it never got hung up on anything inside the compartment. I guess it was a more rigid version of the bag that Karen has mentioned. But when it was muddy or wet, I still had to wipe the cord down as I fed it in. Think about it. There is a reason so many people order or retrofit a removable cord.
Old 02-16-2015, 05:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
smart idea
thanks
Old 02-16-2015, 05:11 PM   #17

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
But when it was muddy or wet, I still had to wipe the cord down as I fed it in.
How does having the cord removable alleviate this issue?
I just grab a shop towel and feed the cord through the towel into the hole. It's easier than trying to feed it into a bag or basket.
Old 02-16-2015, 05:15 PM   #18

Trailer: '15 Escape 5.0 TA
I really struggled with this on our build and went with the standard cord. We have the standard cord on our Casita and it has never really been a issue. We camp in a lot of wet weather and the with the detachable cord, the whole cord will get wet versus just the part that hanging out on the standard. If it was a cheaper option, We may have went for it. In the end, they both work just fine.
"How can I be lost, if I have no place to go"
t-twnbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 05:19 PM   #19

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
How does having the cord removable alleviate this issue?
I just grab a shop towel and feed the cord through the towel into the hole. It's easier than trying to feed it into a bag or basket.
Two questions here. The BAG not only prevents bugs inside but also eliminates drafts etc under the bench. I still wipe the cord going into the bag and it is big enough there is no trouble feeding it into the bag.

Two, the removable cord may still need to be wiped before storing it someplace but there are no bugs, drafts, dirt or water getting to the inside.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 05:45 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-twnbob View Post
I really struggled with this on our build and went with the standard cord. We have the standard cord on our Casita and it has never really been a issue. We camp in a lot of wet weather and the with the detachable cord, the whole cord will get wet versus just the part that hanging out on the standard. If it was a cheaper option, We may have went for it. In the end, they both work just fine.
Same here. At the end of the day I think I'll use the option cost elsewhere
Thank you everyone for all your help
Marion