Attached 30amp cord removable? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2015, 09:53 PM   #41

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
We're getting the removable cord for the 21. I figured if it is wet and muddy I would put it in a garbage bag before throwing it in the storage box. Then a person can deal with it later. Also we will need a second 25 ft. cord for when I set up the trailer at the farm. I would think a place like Camping World might have one or even a 50 footer. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 10:21 PM   #42

Trailer: Scamp 16, TV Rav4 V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
We're getting the removable cord for the 21. I figured if it is wet and muddy I would put it in a garbage bag before throwing it in the storage box. Then a person can deal with it later. Also we will need a second 25 ft. cord for when I set up the trailer at the farm. I would think a place like Camping World might have one or even a 50 footer. Loren
I bought a 30 amp RV Ext. cord at Walmart's, so i could plug it in at home. but the packaging said not to use near water. I am lost now, I thought any RV cord would have to be for outdoors. Carl
civi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 10:49 PM   #43

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
So, is theft of the removable cord not a concern?
Old 02-16-2015, 11:04 PM   #44

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
Actually I'm more worried about the whole trailer being stolen than just the cord. But good thinking. I'll take the second one for a spare. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 06:08 AM   #45

Trailer: 21' Escape
I have personally experienced waking up with ants crawling all over my body in the middle of the night. How do you think they got in? Maybe they could get in another way but I know one way they won't get in. Maybe greese of some type of seal will work but I think it is worth the $ to not have to worry about it.
floorpanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:08 AM   #46

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Theft while camping is something I have never seen happen(but have heard of it), and the only people who would want the cord, are the ones who need it, and I imagine they would already have one of their own.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:15 AM   #47
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Theft while camping is something I have never seen happen(but have heard of it), and the only people who would want the cord, are the ones who need it, and I imagine they would already have one of their own.
Or left theirs at home in that last tote they forgot to pack
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 09:11 AM   #48

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Yep. And that would be a disaster of epic proportions. No power cord = no toaster oven, which means no toaster oven poutine, which in my opinion, could be used to repel ants.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:13 AM   #49

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B "L'Escaboose" with 2021 Ford F150 XLT
I'll add to the four pages, lol. I'm reading all these posts being a newbie, not knowing about removable vs. fixed cord, wondering if I've done the right thing. Then I am reassured that there is probably no correct answer here. Then I look at my build sheet and realize I went for the removable cord option so I must have thought about it at least. Duh.
Nindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 09:49 AM   #50

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
Correct answers vs. YMMV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nindy View Post
...I am reassured that there is probably no correct answer here.
Absolutely, I agree. I do appreciate having the opportunity to get other opinions on all these options, so I can weigh them with my own expectations of how we will use our new trailer. Buying a Casita was so much easier, especially 16 years ago, when the only decision was roof air or closet mount...
Old 02-17-2015, 09:51 AM   #51

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I guess that could happen, but that really seems unlikely. I know right as I disconnect the cord, and it is in my hand, it is stowed. Same with the water and sewer connections. We have never forgotten any of the trailer gear, as it stays with the trailer at all times, BUT most definitely have forgotten a few other food/booze/clothing type stuff before.

With the prevalence of removable power cords, has anyone ever heard of one left behind, or stolen?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 10:30 AM   #52

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
And for my last post on this thread My trailer's been hooked up to house power for three months. My heavy, more expensive 30 amp cord is coiled up in the tongue box, out of the elements, while an inexpensive extension cord is out in the sun and rain. Also, as Jim and others mentioned, I think most people disconnect and stow. Just don't think anyone would disconnect it, drop it on the ground and drive away.

And now, back to finish my breakfast, no poutine though

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 11:20 AM   #53

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Speaking of breakfast, I had my first ever bowl of steel cut oats this am, very delicious. I then went and bowled 4 of my best games at the bowling alley. The oats seemed to work better than staying at the Holiday Inn Express.....
Old 02-17-2015, 12:12 PM   #54

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
And for my last post on this thread My trailer's been hooked up to house power for three months. My heavy, more expensive 30 amp cord is coiled up in the tongue box, out of the elements, while an inexpensive extension cord is out in the sun and rain. Also, as Jim and others mentioned, I think most people disconnect and stow. Just don't think anyone would disconnect it, drop it on the ground and drive away.

And now, back to finish my breakfast, no poutine though

Ron
Well anything can happen. We don't have a removable cord but I do have a nice (yellowjacket) heavy duty extension cord to use when the power outlet is too far away. I use it when we have the trailer at home for loading as the built in cord won't reach the house. I have a special spot in one of the storage compartments so I can always find it. On a recent trip we were in need of this cord and its not there. I mentioned to Gerri that I couldn't believe that I had forgotten it. She said "Oh its hanging up in your shop with all your other cords. I though that's where it came from". There is a good reason we are not pilots!

Mark
GerriJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 12:50 PM   #55

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
No more of a concern than theft of the propane tanks, or a battery in an unlocked outside compartment, or the water hose (and water filter in some cases), or normal extension cords left in use, or power cord adapters, or any furnishings left outside.

The cord is expensive and easy to take. On the other hand, has anyone ever heard a reliable report of one being stolen?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 01:45 PM   #56

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Just FYI

Pix of driver side bench storage and cord on my 17B. Nothing there to get tangled in ( your model and build may vary ). Six years of dirt on the floor ( never occurred to me to look ).
Insects could find their way in past the cover ( outside pic ) I suppose, but I don't think mice would be an issue. I am hoping to wash the trailer soon.
Inside pic has sun shining directly on the cover so it looks more open than it should.
Attached Thumbnails
Cord 1.jpg   Cord 2.jpg   Cord 3.jpg  
Old 02-17-2015, 01:51 PM   #57

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
No more of a concern than theft of the propane tanks, or a battery in an unlocked outside compartment, or the water hose (and water filter in some cases), or normal extension cords left in use, or power cord adapters, or any furnishings left outside.

The cord is expensive and easy to take. On the other hand, has anyone ever heard a reliable report of one being stolen?
I haven't, but on the third hand here, someone with a damaged fixed cord could easily "confiscate" a replacement with any tool that would cut through a 30 amp cord. It's no different from jacking up someone's trailer to obtain a good set of tires, etc. You just have to hope your camping neighbors and other people in the campground are vigilant. I always make a point of meeting the people in adjacent campsites so that I know who should be expected to be in the adjacent sites.
Old 02-17-2015, 01:51 PM   #58
rfs

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
Although I have never lost a drop cord to theft, in my previous life I had oversight for a municipal Christmas Tree which required 4 very heavy 100 foot drop cords, (we were driving 1000 c-9 bulbs), we had single cords stolen numerous times but after a cretin thief took all 4 two nights in a row, we got serious about securing them. It is my opinion that you need to be vigilant and use common sense while camping and not too much bad will happen. Personally, I usually let the camp host know that I'll be away and that there should be no reason for anyone to be around the camper. Other than that, you can't live your life on what ifs. There's pros and cons for each cord setup, personally, I'd just as soon have the detachable but we don't and to me, it's not worth the time it would cost to change it out. Just my two cents.
Dave
rfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 02:11 PM   #59

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
If you go with the detachable cord, one thing you might consider is making up a short 15 amp cord. That way you can use a lighter 12/3 extension cord when you only have 15 amp pedestals, and you will be carrying a spare Marinco twist lock connector, something that may be difficult to find on the road.
Attached Thumbnails
ASG_6494.jpg  
Old 02-17-2015, 02:25 PM   #60

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
That is exactly what I do and I use it exclusively unless I'm going to need a/c, then I hook up the 30 amp cord set.