Attached 30amp cord removable? - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-16-2015, 04:21 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
mk1549's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Dothan, Alabama
Trailer: Shopping tv 2014 Nissan Pathfinder
Posts: 113
Attached 30amp cord removable?

Getting ready to finish my build sheet ha ha ha and I'm trying to decide on leaving the 30amp cord as is or getting the removable.
I was leaning toward the built it so I wouldn't accidently leave it somewhere Then there is the replacement factor if it breaks or wears out the removable cord would be so much easier to replace.

Opinions??

Thanks,
Marion
__________________

mk1549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 04:27 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
LeonW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Posts: 981
For what it is worth, we got the removable cord and are happy with it. I read a post either here or on FGRV about small insects climbing up a cord and into the trailer. I mentioned that to dear wife, and that settled it. We were going with the removable cord.
__________________

LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 04:32 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Dave Walter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19 & 15B
Posts: 1,873
For me, I always do a couple of complete circuits around the trailer when we are packing up to go. Thus, It would be very difficult to forget to remove and pack up the 30 amp cord. We got the detachable cord and are happy that we did so.
__________________
2013-19' & 2013-15B {avg is two 17's}, towed by 2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 04:47 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
KarenH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bellingham, Washington
Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Posts: 1,924
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
I wouldn't have anything other than the removable after fighting the other kind in my pop-up. Leaving it behind? Highly unlikely as, like ice-breaker, I do a walk-around after hitching up and even pulling the trailer forward a bit. Leaving it at home? Highly unlikely as I detach it and put it right in the truck bed.
__________________
Karen Hulford
2013 Escape 15A, "Egbert"
Ford 150 XLT 5.8L
Bellingham, Washington
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 04:48 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
gbaglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Posts: 10,738
I'm happy with the standard cord. When I need it, it's always where I left it.
__________________
2009 Escape 17B "Toad"
2008 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport
North Vancouver, British Columbia

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 04:54 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Seef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Leeuwarden, The Netherlands, Alabama
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 Classic
Posts: 263
The 30 AMP standard cord is what we have. I'm leaning towards replacing it for another one, again using the same priciple. The reason for us to replace it is just because we use 230V overhere and the 30AMP cord is way to thick for my taste. Using 230V it will be able to run 60AMP's trough it.
The standard campingground extension overhere in Europe is about 2-4 AMP.

So we will settle for a "normal"sized cord for our needs but it will be way longer than the 30feet we have now. Electricity extensions seem to be further away than 30 feet most of the time.
__________________
Escape 5.0 classic (ARRIVED in Holland)
TV - ISUZU D-Max
Favorite destination (Europe) - Tuscany
Seef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 05:02 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 11,934
I had the built in one, and after lots of frustration with the cord getting snagged inside, and breaking a couple of the tabs off using it in really cold weather, I opted to convert it to a removable one. I only wish I had of done it sooner. Something I would highly recommend.

I don't buy in at all to the forgetting it thing. Other hoses, your chairs and portable table, patio mats, and all sorts of other things, along with the electrical cord, all have to be gathered and stowed. When you do your walk around, you would see it. I stow mine away right after I disconnect it, while it is still in my paws.
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 05:03 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: North Van., British Columbia
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Posts: 3,290
There has been one or more extensive threads on this topic. Many of us have converted or ordered the detachable cord. On my previous Scamp I hated stuffing the sometimes wet and muddy cord into a locker with other electrical connections. On the Scamp I converted it detachable and was happy with it. On the Escape it was a no brainer for me. Also, the advantage is that in situations where you really don't need the heavy 30 amp cord, with an adaptor, you can plug in a lighter conventional cord.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 05:23 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
mk1549's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Dothan, Alabama
Trailer: Shopping tv 2014 Nissan Pathfinder
Posts: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk1549 View Post
Getting ready to finish my build sheet ha ha ha and I'm trying to decide on leaving the 30amp cord as is or getting the removable.
I was leaning toward the built it so I wouldn't accidently leave it somewhere Then there is the replacement factor if it breaks or wears out the removable cord would be so much easier to replace.

Opinions??

Thanks,
Marion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I had the built in one, and after lots of frustration with the cord getting snagged inside, and breaking a couple of the tabs off using it in really cold weather, I opted to convert it to a removable one. I only wish I had of done it sooner. Something I would highly recommend.

I don't buy in at all to the forgetting it thing. Other hoses, your chairs and portable table, patio mats, and all sorts of other things, along with the electrical cord, all have to be gathered and stowed. When you do your walk around, you would see it. I stow mine away right after I disconnect it, while it is still in my paws.
No Jim your wrong people do forget things believe it or not I was one of those kids that was left at a gas station while on vacation with the family...Accident my foot!
If the cord was going to be left somewhere it would be at home but I guess that's what a check off list is for.......
Again you have all given me food for thought.
Thank you,
Marion
mk1549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 05:39 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
mk1549's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Dothan, Alabama
Trailer: Shopping tv 2014 Nissan Pathfinder
Posts: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
There has been one or more extensive threads on this topic. Many of us have converted or ordered the detachable cord. On my previous Scamp I hated stuffing the sometimes wet and muddy cord into a locker with other electrical connections. On the Scamp I converted it detachable and was happy with it. On the Escape it was a no brainer for me. Also, the advantage is that in situations where you really don't need the heavy 30 amp cord, with an adaptor, you can plug in a lighter conventional cord.

Ron
Good point
Thanks
Marion
__________________

mk1549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.