Atwood Premier 4000 Power Jack Installation - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-15-2016, 09:03 AM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
It took me a bit to figure out that the Jack E Up is not an electric jack, rather a manual jack that you can remove. A nice concept but it still requires manual cranking.
You can use it with electric jacks too. What it does is offer a non-fixed attachment for pretty much any jack.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 10:48 AM   #22

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Correct, but you can mount your electric jack with a quick connect, should work, I use mine with BlackJack to open my tailgate.
Old 02-15-2016, 11:10 AM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonny LR View Post
I am thinking of changing out my Atwood Premier 4000 Power Jack. It fitted very weill next to the storage box and propane cover, but it is too tall. It prevents my SUV rear door from opening and causes a liitle incomvenience when the trailer is hooked up to TV. I would appreciate any suggestions that forum members can offer a good fit tongue jack. I have researched the internet and found a Barker model 30828, but don't not it will fit next to the propane cover and not too high above the propane cover, so the rear car door can be opened. Thanks.

Tonny LR
Our ETI installed Atwood is called a Short Power Jack in Atwood's lineup. We can open our 2013 Yukon SLT's tailgate most of the time, however sometimes when not square to the trailer or uphill the distance gets shorter and we cannot open.

I believe it is the Atwood 80509, and although it is rated at 2500 lbs. one is not lifting the whole trailer and therefore you don't need a 4,000 lb. jack.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 11:20 AM   #24

Considering the stock manual jack is 2000# rated, 2500# should be fine
Old 02-15-2016, 11:51 AM   #25

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
Quote:
I am thinking of changing out my Atwood Premier 4000 Power Jack. It fitted very weill next to the storage box and propane cover, but it is too tall. It prevents my SUV rear door from opening and causes a liitle incomvenience when the trailer is hooked up to TV. I would appreciate any suggestions that forum members can offer a good fit tongue jack. I have researched the internet and found a Barker model 30828, but don't not it will fit next to the propane cover and not too high above the propane cover, so the rear car door can be opened. Thanks.

Tonny LR
What hitch do you use ?
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 03:34 PM   #26

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19' and 2016 GMC Yukon SLT SUV.
Send a message via AIM to Tonny LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Our ETI installed Atwood is called a Short Power Jack in Atwood's lineup. We can open our 2013 Yukon SLT's tailgate most of the time, however sometimes when not square to the trailer or uphill the distance gets shorter and we cannot open.

I believe it is the Atwood 80509, and although it is rated at 2500 lbs. one is not lifting the whole trailer and therefore you don't need a 4,000 lb. jack.
My current TV is a 2016 Yukon SLT SUV. It has a liftgate. I used Andersen WDH. I would like to find out the distance in inches from the mounting plate to the top of the Atwood 80509 electric tongue jack. Thanks.

Tonny LR
Tonny LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 03:43 PM   #27

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I would like to find out the distance in inches from the mounting plate to the top of the Atwood 80509 electric tongue jack.
Just the kind of information one might expect from the manufacturer's web page for the product line: Atwood Mobile - Power Jacks
... but I don't see that information there.
There is a manual available, covering Atwood's line of power jacks, but I don't see a height spec in it.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 04:46 PM   #28

Trailer: Escape 21 'Toto'
Tie into emergency brake power for powered tongue jack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by azjack View Post
IWhen I got home I put the circuit breaker on the plate between the gas bottles and tied the hot wire into the harness just below the bottles. Works great and my shoulder loves it.
Jack
Hi Jack (or anyone....),

Thinking of adding a powered jack to my 21 also. I went to look for the "harness just below the bottles" that you mentioned and I believe that is the wiring for the emergency brake breakaway gadget, which would be powered from the battery and therefore be a lovely source of 12v power. It's in a nice black corrugated tube that has a lengthwise slit that provides easy access to two black wires. All I have to do is determine which of those wires is hot and I'm set.

Does that sound right?
Thank you,
Doug
Old 06-02-2016, 06:48 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpaddle View Post
Thinking of adding a powered jack to my 21 also. I went to look for the "harness just below the bottles" that you mentioned and I believe that is the wiring for the emergency brake breakaway gadget, which would be powered from the battery and therefore be a lovely source of 12v power.
That makes sense, as long as
  • the wire from the battery is thick enough to handle the jack current (the Atwood jack manual says at least 10-gauge), and
  • the circuit from the battery is fused at a high enough current for the jack (the jack has an internal 30-amp fuse).
Obviously the jack and the breakaway switch won't be in use at the same time, so it's okay to share one power supply circuit.

I don't know what the breakaway switch current rating is, but two axles of common electric brakes only use 12 amps at full power; brake wiring is usually 12-gauge.
Old 06-02-2016, 09:41 PM   #30

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Once you go power tongue jack, you'll never go back!
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:37 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
An easier solution is to get a power jack that plugs into the 7 pin plug on the tow vehicle, rather than a hard wired one....

But, you can tap into the umbilical's power wire as well. You just have to make sure that the ground wire is connected to the trailer frame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
So for those of us with a 21 or 17 and the batteries on the rear there appears to be three choices for a post delivery installation of an electric jack.
  1. Run wires from the battery
  2. Connect to the Bargman connector on the tow vehicle
  3. Connect to the Bargman connector on the trailer
I went through this whole thread, and realized that in addition to the three choices above, plus Jack's tapping into the breakaway switch source, you can go the trailer end of the umbilical cable. It is at the front of the trailer (exact position depending on model), and is apparently enclosed in a common electrical box.
Old 06-02-2016, 11:04 PM   #32

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Our current EggCamper has a kill switch for the power jack mounted just inside the door where it is easy to reach without having to actually enter the camper. When the switch is turned off, no one can work the jack, and that might help deter someone who might try to run off with the camper. That said, with a little time, someone who knows what they are doing can still hot wire the jack since the batteries are just a few feet away. But if an unresponsive power jack helps deter an opportunistic would-be thief, then an interior access kill switch is pretty cheap insurance.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 01:02 AM   #33

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
That 's what my kids tell me . They want me to get one . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 01:09 AM   #34

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
My dad often goes with me to help hitch up or drop off my trailer in storage; he turns 100 this December. Recently, as I was cranking up the coupler, he made an observation:

Dad: "You know you can buy a power jack to do that."

Me: "300 bucks, Dad."

Pause

Dad: "You've spent a lot more money than that on a lot more foolish things."

I laughed so hard, I lost all strength and couldn't crank for a moment.

Now I wish I had a power jack.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 01:24 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
My dad often goes with me to help hitch up or drop off my trailer in storage; he turns 100 this December. Recently, as I was cranking up the coupler, he made an observation:

Pause

That 's what I tell the kids . Pat
Old 06-03-2016, 07:11 AM   #36

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Raising the tongue on and Escape with the manual jack is nothing compared to what I have to do with the manual landing gear on my stickie fifth. On all the trailers I have owned and towed (literally hundreds), I have never had an electric jack, but I tell ya, this trailer is making me wish I did, and looking for a drill powered solution to facilitate it. But hey, my guns are looking better now.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 07:29 AM   #37

You have to keep up those muscles to compete with Iowa Dave's wheel torque contests......
Old 06-03-2016, 07:38 AM   #38
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post

Pause

Your Dad's a wise man.

Side note - you can get a decent power Jack for around $100.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-03-2016, 08:31 AM   #39

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
trailer jack

Reading back, I hope I don't have a problem with my tail gate on the Dodge Durango not clearing the jack as my Jeep would. It's one of those things that is hard to measure, but I'll know in a few weeks when we hook up again.
The power source I used for the jack was the main power cord to the trailer. I just slit the heavy covering, reached in to snag the hot wire to the battery, spliced in the jack wire and sealed the cord closed.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 11:39 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by azjack View Post
Reading back, I hope I don't have a problem with my tail gate on the Dodge Durango not clearing the jack as my Jeep would. It's one of those things that is hard to measure, but I'll know in a few weeks when we hook up again.
The power source I used for the jack was the main power cord to the trailer. I just slit the heavy covering, reached in to snag the hot wire to the battery, spliced in the jack wire and sealed the cord closed.
Jack
That is my other reasoning too. We carry a lot in the bed of the truck . When we are boondocking and are pretty level , sometimes don't unhitch. Pat