Atwood Premier 4000 Power Jack Installation - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2016, 03:08 PM   #41

Trailer: Escape 21 'Toto'
Thanks, Jack, for that clarification. I went back out and looked at the emergency brake thingie wire and it's definitely not a heavy-enough gauge to handle all those amps. I'll tap into the Big Cable like you did or go the 7-pin connector route. Thanks again!
Old 06-04-2016, 12:03 AM   #42
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Atwood Premier 4000 Power Jack Installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
That is my other reasoning too. We carry a lot in the bed of the truck . When we are boondocking and are pretty level , sometimes don't unhitch. Pat

There's not a power Jack (or manual Jack for that matter) that I know of that will allow you to drop the tailgate of the truck all the way down when hooked up. The Jack-e-up that Jim has would allow the Jack to be removed and provide the clearance. When I need access to the bed while hooked up, I just lower the tailgate carefully and rest it on the Jack post. It stops about 2/3 of the way down. A shorter Jack would not make any difference with this, at least not with a regular pickup tailgate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-04-2016, 01:08 AM   #43

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
There's not a power Jack (or manual Jack for that matter) that I know of that will allow you to drop the tailgate of the truck all the way down when hooked up. The Jack-e-up that Jim has would allow the Jack to be removed and provide the clearance. When I need access to the bed while hooked up, I just lower the tailgate carefully and rest it on the Jack post. It stops about 2/3 of the way down. A shorter Jack would not make any difference with this, at least not with a regular pickup tailgate.

I think because we have a long stinger ,most of the time if we are kind of level the truck gate can lower all the way when we are hooked up . But I think because the electrical head is bigger that won't work . The only time that won't work is if the truck is a little higher then the trailer . Truck lower then trailer also no problem .When I'm going somewhere I always hookup , can drop tailgate , and load up a day or two before . Trailer is almost level , my truck is downhill . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 01:20 AM   #44
Site Team

Yeah, that makes sense. Forgot that a longer stinger would provide more clearance. I don't think the head of the power Jack (at least not the type we have - Atwood 4000) would pose a problem in such a case. The head sits high enough that the tailgate would clear it as it swings down. I say that because our tailgate doesn't hit the power Jack head, but the post just below it.

Old 06-04-2016, 01:30 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Yeah, that makes sense. Forgot that a longer stinger would provide more clearance. I don't think the head of the power Jack (at least not the type we have - Atwood 4000) would pose a problem in such a case. The head sits high enough that the tailgate would clear it as it swings down. I say that because our tailgate doesn't hit the power Jack head, but the post just below it.

I'll give it a look then . I need to get some other things first though . Need some tire sensors on my trailer . Last summer was traveling I don't know for how long with a flat on one of my tires . Didn't see it until I got home . Pat
Old 06-04-2016, 07:15 AM   #46

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The issue with leaning the tailgate or in my case letting it rest on the jack handle results in a dent in the tailgate if you put any weight on it to reach inside. I have about 6 different jacks I have purchased trying to find the ideal set up, even one with a removable handle. It worked, but a PIA to take handle off. I also have extended stingers that work because we are only talking about 2-3" here. They also work but the best set up is the Jack-E-Up. In order to use a power jack one will need to add a quick disconnect in the wires, or go back to the extended stinger. Just remember to get a heavier capacity one due to the extra length.
Old 06-04-2016, 01:51 PM   #47
Site Team

Good point about the quick connect on the power cable if you're wanting to use the Jack-e-up with a power Jack. My tailgate doesn't get damaged when leaning it on the post, because the entire top of the tailgate is a hard black plastic material. But, I would think that the easiest (and cheapest) solution would be an extended stinger. No electrical mod required.

Old 06-04-2016, 04:29 PM   #48

Trailer: ex Casita/ 2016 Escape 21 '16 TRD 4x4
so if i installed the jack-e-up, how would I hold the trailer up? Use the stabilizers?. I bought this on e-bay for $69. Don't care if it works, will look good and deter theft. Now with the jack-e-up that would suit the bill if i could keep the trailer up .
Jerry
jerryandmaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 05:46 PM   #49

Normally you would not be using the stabilizers without using the tongue jack as it is only removed while under tow. That said, when I installed the Jack-E-Up, my 21' was supported only by the 4 stabilizers until the new system was operational. Just like those who remove the factory jack and install a power jack, the trailer is supported by the stabilizers only during the install process.
Old 06-04-2016, 06:31 PM   #50

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryandmaria View Post
so if i installed the jack-e-up, how would I hold the trailer up? Use the stabilizers?. I bought this on e-bay for $69. Don't care if it works, will look good and deter theft. Now with the jack-e-up that would suit the bill if i could keep the trailer up .
I assume you're talking about storing the trailer with that wheel lock in place and the tongue jack removed (using the Jack-E-Up bracket and plug-in wiring if powered). I see no problem at all leaving the front of the trailer supported by the front stabilizer jacks in this situation, even if you are using the trailer. They have more than enough capacity, and are directly under the trailer's frame.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 07:23 PM   #51
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
I'll give it a look then . I need to get some other things first though . Need some tire sensors on my trailer . Last summer was traveling I don't know for how long with a flat on one of my tires . Didn't see it until I got home . Pat
Very happy with these guys; had 2 alerts to a leaker tire in 2 years so I could pull off and get it fixed. I have the 507 sensors (user replaceable battery.)

Truck System Technologies

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 08:03 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Very happy with these guys; had 2 alerts to a leaker tire in 2 years so I could pull off and get it fixed. I have the 507 sensors (user replaceable battery.)

Truck System Technologies
Thanks Charlie that was the one I was thinking about . Does yours say 507rv ? I don't have the metal stems so I was going to do no flow through ? I just want for now on the trailer . What did you get ? Pat
Old 06-04-2016, 08:40 PM   #53
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Thanks Charlie that was the one I was thinking about . Does yours say 507rv ? I don't have the metal stems so I was going to do no flow through ? I just want for now on the trailer . What did you get ? Pat
Dunno what they say on them, but I didn't do the flow-thru either. I used the system originally on my Casita and moved it to my Escape; both of which have/had rubber valve stems. Very simple and easy to remove/replace the sensors if you need to add air.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 09:59 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Dunno what they say on them, but I didn't do the flow-thru either. I used the system originally on my Casita and moved it to my Escape; both of which have/had rubber valve stems. Very simple and easy to remove/replace the sensors if you need to add air.
Good to know you have had these for awhile and have the rubber stems . I will order these then . Thanks Charlie . Pat
Old 06-09-2016, 11:16 AM   #55

Robert, do you remember whether you ordered the smaller or larger version of the RV Tailors cover? I'm getting the same jack that you bought and would like a similar fit. Thanks!
Old 06-10-2016, 07:59 AM   #56
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpaddle View Post
Robert, do you remember whether you ordered the smaller or larger version of the RV Tailors cover? I'm getting the same jack that you bought and would like a similar fit. Thanks!

I don't remember Doug. I think I just told them what kind of Jack head I had and they sent me the right one.

Old 06-10-2016, 11:01 AM   #57

Thanks Robert! I'll do the same. What a concept... actually communicating with a retailer. Never would have thought of it.
Old 06-12-2016, 12:32 PM   #58

Trailer: 2016 21 Escape "Wishbone", 2017 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The issue with leaning the tailgate or in my case letting it rest on the jack handle results in a dent in the tailgate if you put any weight on it to reach inside. I have about 6 different jacks I have purchased trying to find the ideal set up, even one with a removable handle. It worked, but a PIA to take handle off. I also have extended stingers that work because we are only talking about 2-3" here. They also work but the best set up is the Jack-E-Up. In order to use a power jack one will need to add a quick disconnect in the wires, or go back to the extended stinger. Just remember to get a heavier capacity one due to the extra length.
Jim, We get our 2016 21 in a month and anticipate we will have a problem with the tailgate on our 02 Chevy Silverado 2500HD and the manual jack. Jack E-UP offers 2 different models, a universal model (side wind) and a top wind model. Do you know which one you used on Blackjack? I see the ETI 21 crank is mounted on the top but cranks side ways. Is that what is meant by a side crank? All my trailers crank at the top in a horizontal fashion.
I guess that means they are all top winds. I get confused about the simplest things.

I hope to order one (the correct one) and take it to Chilliwack so I won't have to put up with tailgate issues as we camp around Vancouver Is. for a week after picking up our 21.
Old 06-12-2016, 12:37 PM   #59

Sidewind is the manual type on the Escape 21, about 5 minutes to install. You will need either 1/2 or 5/8 or 7/16 wrench, I no longer have mine in the yard to verify which size.
Old 06-12-2016, 12:41 PM   #60

Trailer: 2016 21 Escape "Wishbone", 2017 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Sidewind is the manual type on the Escape 21, about 5 minutes to install. You will need either 1/2 or 5/8 or 7/16 wrench, I no longer have mine in the yard to verify which size.
Sidewind it is then. I will have my handy Costco wrench set along with torque wrench for wheels and all the other things that may happen on break in. Thanks for the quick response.