Axel Modification.... Why Yes, Why No? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2018, 02:48 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA Tundra 1794 2017
Axel Modification.... Why Yes, Why No?

ETI states there is an axel upgrade available.

To do or not to do?

Why?

From ETI:

"Axel: standard is the #10 Dexter EX lube with a clearance of approximately 9 ˝”. The upgrade is the Nev-R-Adjust Dexter Axel includes both the EZE lube Axles and self-adjusting brakes the cost is $475.00.""

What say you?

"The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time" JT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TlAD-b7yew
Honair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 03:06 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
"EX" and "EZE" were presumably just typos; the feature is "E-Z Lube".

It appears that the only upgrade offered here is Nev-R-Adjust (the self-adjusting brakes feature). I find adjusting brakes annoying, so I would probably get Nev-R-Adjust... although it's not cheap.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 03:08 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I'm waiting for the Nev-R-lube axles.....
Old 01-10-2018, 03:12 PM   #4

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
The brakes are very easy to adjust. It takes only about 10 minutes per wheel to adjust. No need to pull the wheel hub, just use a flat head screw driver to a adjust. The instructions are on YOUTUBE from the Dexter website.
Porsche Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 03:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I'm waiting for the Nev-R-lube axles.....
They're available from Dexter in the #10 Torflex, as long as you're willing to use 6-on-5.5" wheels (which would be an annoyance in production). Jim, did you ask Reace if he were willing to provide these as a special order?
Old 01-10-2018, 03:18 PM   #6

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I asked about them ordering axles with the self adjusting brakes in November and they said they would for $450. At that time I was asked not to share the info.
I find it hard to pay that kind of money when you can get the whole replacement unit for about $40 US. I will wait until I need new brakes to do the upgrade. I can’t imagine the difference in ordering axles with and without the nev-r-adjust being very much cost.
Attached Thumbnails
D98B4831-7E1E-4D24-B06B-9A1A2CF0EC03.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 03:22 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Same thought; at Etrailer the Nev-R-Adjust backing plate, which is the whole assembly is $10 more than the standard. Will change out my stock ones when ready for new shoes.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 03:28 PM   #8

The low incremental cost is a good argument for adding Nev-R-Adjust if replacing the backing plate assemblies.

The factory price... well, few options on any vehicle are anything close to at-cost offers from the manufacturer; auto manufacturers routinely charge thousands of dollars to turn on software features with no physical change at all. I also assume that the option cost is affected by the pricing of components to Escape: a few units of different specification will not be priced as well as the much larger quantity of the standard specification... which is probably part of the reason that E-Z Lube is now standard rather than optional.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:36 PM   #9

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Same thought; at Etrailer the Nev-R-Adjust backing plate, which is the whole assembly is $10 more than the standard. Will change out my stock ones when ready for new shoes.
That is what I found at the time I was searching as well. I thought if Escape doubled the price for them to upgrade, it would run around $100...but guess I was way off.
Maybe this will be a standard feature for Escape in the future. This way they can get a bulk deal with all axles being self adjusting.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 03:46 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche Pilot View Post
The brakes are very easy to adjust. It takes only about 10 minutes per wheel to adjust. No need to pull the wheel hub, just use a flat head screw driver to a adjust. The instructions are on YOUTUBE from the Dexter website.
I find it takes about 2 minutes tops per wheel to adjust, the extra time is jockeying around the trailer to raise the next wheel off the ground.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 03:55 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
They're available from Dexter in the #10 Torflex, as long as you're willing to use 6-on-5.5" wheels (which would be an annoyance in production). Jim, did you ask Reace if he were willing to provide these as a special order?
I did and the answer was no. It is reasonable actually since they would then have to deal with two different wheel sizes - but I was hoping...

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 04:51 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I find it takes about 2 minutes tops per wheel to adjust, the extra time is jockeying around the trailer to raise the next wheel off the ground.
It is easy to adjust the brakes, and, more than that, it's also a good opportunity to take a look round underneath at the same time. I've found various items like a dangling wire or a crimp connection for brake wiring that needed repair.

I ignore my E-Z Lube feature. Too easy to pump in too much grease and shove it out past the seal and contaminate the brakes. I don't think that it's really needed unless it's for a boat trailer that gets immersed in water.

So, no sale on either items for me.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 06:00 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape 21, July 2018 delivery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
It is easy to adjust the brakes, and, more than that, it's also a good opportunity to take a look round underneath at the same time. I've found various items like a dangling wire or a crimp connection for brake wiring that needed repair.

I ignore my E-Z Lube feature. Too easy to pump in too much grease and shove it out past the seal and contaminate the brakes. I don't think that it's really needed unless it's for a boat trailer that gets immersed in water.

So, no sale on either items for me.

Ron
I too am not convinced the EZLube is a good idea. I recall another poster mentioning a $400 brake job as a result of a leaking inner seal. I wondered at the time whether the real problem was excess grease from using EZLube.

Any positive experience out there? I confess that pulling the bearings out every year or 12,000 miles as suggested by Dexter is a tad discouraging. Why in the world should that be necessary when front wheel bearings on most vehicles are ok for many times that.
AllanEdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 10:12 AM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
There is a lot of information on the Casita forum about the EZ lub. Larry Gamble, from Little House Customs who does a lot of bearing/brake work on Casitas has very negative things to say about using EZ lub. I initially tried them, but stopped when I found grease on the brake drum backing plate. Now I repack my bearings every 12,000 miles.

I heard the automatic brake adjusters do not work well on trailers. Has anyone used them successfully?
Old 01-15-2018, 10:18 AM   #15

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanEdie View Post
I too am not convinced the EZLube is a good idea. I recall another poster mentioning a $400 brake job as a result of a leaking inner seal. I wondered at the time whether the real problem was excess grease from using EZLube.

Any positive experience out there? I confess that pulling the bearings out every year or 12,000 miles as suggested by Dexter is a tad discouraging. Why in the world should that be necessary when front wheel bearings on most vehicles are ok for many times that.
We paid extra not to have the EZ lube. Apparently, bearings not used from the trailer sitting become more of a problem but that is just what I have heard, if it means anything to you.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 10:23 AM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
We paid extra not to have the EZ lube. Apparently, bearings not used from the trailer sitting become more of a problem but that is just what I have heard, if it means anything to you.
Wear due to the affects of bearings sitting isn't something I had considered. If that is the case, then repacking on a calendar basis may make more sense than on a mileage basis. Does anyone know?
Old 01-15-2018, 11:29 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
Wear due to the affects of bearings sitting isn't something I had considered. If that is the case, then repacking on a calendar basis may make more sense than on a mileage basis. Does anyone know?
I believe that Trailer Life says once a year or every 10,000 miles, whichever first I guess.

I expect that you do not have your trailer sitting for half of the year as many do.

Edit: Just saw on Trailer Life that grease breaks down on stored trailers, allowing corrosion to form.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:08 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
I would, and always have, how bad on mileage. Kinda hard for hastened steel to wear sitting there. If course if it was meant years, that would be different.

The beating had not been repacked in a well over a dozen years on a Trillium axle, and when I repacked them everything was fine. I did replace the seals, but even they looked good.

I only put 5,000 km on my trailer last year, so am not worrying about the bearings until at least later this year, probably next spring.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 03:09 PM   #19

Since we are now in Texas, we will probably treat this a little differently from when in Iowa. I don't expect that the Escape will sit as long. We, of course, were able to winterize later in the year here.
Old 01-15-2018, 03:19 PM   #20

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
I heard the automatic brake adjusters do not work well on trailers. Has anyone used them successfully?
I hope not. I have a box in the garage with 4 Dexter Nev-R-Adjust assemblies for when the brakes need to be done.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote