Back-up cameras. - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2017, 07:25 AM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Losangeles:

Yes, the camera part number (from the box) is RVS-6137-2CW. I have occasionally observed momentary signal loss but it was just that 'momentary'. There was one time - early on, day 2 of my ownership as I was ascending Stevens Pass over the Cascades - when it stopped working completely. I stopped, went to the rear and raised the camera antenna and it has worked fine again. How the antenna moved I don't know. It has been over a week since that event with hundreds of miles per day and working fine.

Happy trails to you,
johnp271
johnp271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 02:21 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 pulled by GMC Canyon Diesel.
RVS-6137-2CW Will not pair

The camera worked well all the way home from BC. Getting ready for my recent camping trip, I could not get it to work and still cannot.

I have just come in after multiple tries without luck:
1) trailer lights are on
2) I tried both cam 1 and 2, pressing "pair" and pressing the small button on the camera itself within 15 seconds
3) the monitor was plugged into 12 v outlet and held within 2 feet of camera after position in truck's cab was pointless
4) all fuses in trailer ok
5) tried with truck running and not, always with lights on
6) in settings I tried both NTSC and PAL

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness. Mark Twain
JPSpins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 03:22 PM   #23

Jean-Pierre,

Did you make sure the antenna on the camera is reasonably positioned? Try adjusting it, and the antenna in the car as well.

Mine stopped working once and a simple tweak of the antenna on the camera got it going again.

Regards,
John
johnp271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 03:28 PM   #24
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Antennas need to be parallel for best range. Both either vertical or horizontal.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 03:45 PM   #25

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 pulled by GMC Canyon Diesel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp271 View Post
Jean-Pierre,

Did you make sure the antenna on the camera is reasonably positioned? Try adjusting it, and the antenna in the car as well.

Mine stopped working once and a simple tweak of the antenna on the camera got it going again.

Regards,
John
I had the camera and the monitor beside one another, within two feet with both antennas straight up...will not pair!

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness. Mark Twain
JPSpins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 06:06 PM   #26

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I'm a fan of hard wired systems. You're right, a little harder to install but no big deal. Once installed there're pretty much trouble free and not affected by what's around them.
I agree Ron. It's a little more work running the cable under truck and trailer and making a connection point on the truck BUT it's worth it. I installed the wired RVS and it works great. Comes on instantly, no drop outs no bad images due to radio signal interference. Mine can handle three cameras switchable from the 7" monitor.
Old 07-23-2017, 06:25 PM   #27

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
When you go WIRED backup, you need to attach the pigtail connecting cable from tongue to back of truck.

The trailer frame connector is shown facing downward a bit to ease strain. On the truck side the pigtail connects to my aluminum (removable ) hitch extension that houses the camera cable receptacle. The extension is still primed when photo was taken, since then wife has painted it black. The other side of hitch has another extension that houses a Anderson SB 120 water proof 12vdc connector that charges the house batteries from truck alternator, 40 amp max.

Power for this comes from truck ignition switched 15 amp fused supply. Needed to remove dashboard to get to it. This supply is routed to a terminal block I added below dash for easy maintenance or expansion. Already using this supply to power 40 amp battery charger isolation solenoid.

We like the RVS camera and will likely not add a second as that's what the truck towing mirrors are for.
Attached Thumbnails
XE2B0615.jpg   XE2B0617.jpg   XE2B0618.jpg   XE2B0621.jpg  
Old 09-03-2017, 07:18 PM   #28

Trailer: None
Is it possible to integrate the escape backup camera into the screen on a 2017 Highlander XLE?
RandyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 07:37 PM   #29

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyT View Post
Is it possible to integrate the escape backup camera into the screen on a 2017 Highlander XLE?
Not easily. I believe it is possible to purchase a receiver from Rear View Safety that outputs video, but you would then need to get behind the Highlander entertainment system, break the feed line from the rear view camera, add a video switcher, and add a switch that turns on the monitor when the vehicle is not in reverse. Probably far more than one wants to do.

There is a kit that will do all this (assuming that things haven't changes with newer models) Any Time Back UP Camera that says it works with 2009+ Toyotas. Check the "Shop" page. One of the accessories lets you add a second camera, although you would still have to go from wireless to wired.

By the way, while I prefer the hard wired systems, I have the Escape provided Rear View Safety wireless camera on my 21 fed to the dash of a short bed Tacoma, and it works great. I've never lost signal, and the refresh rate, while not as good as a hard wired system, is adequate.
Old 09-04-2017, 11:57 PM   #30

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Not easily. I believe it is possible to purchase a receiver from Rear View Safety that outputs video, but you would then need to get behind the Highlander entertainment system, break the feed line from the rear view camera, add a video switcher, and add a switch that turns on the monitor when the vehicle is not in reverse. Probably far more than one wants to do.

There is a kit that will do all this (assuming that things haven't changes with newer models) Any Time Back UP Camera that says it works with 2009+ Toyotas. Check the "Shop" page. One of the accessories lets you add a second camera, although you would still have to go from wireless to wired.

By the way, while I prefer the hard wired systems, I have the Escape provided Rear View Safety wireless camera on my 21 fed to the dash of a short bed Tacoma, and it works great. I've never lost signal, and the refresh rate, while not as good as a hard wired system, is adequate.
I think I'd still want to use the separate monitor in this case. I haven't been able to get the Highlander to display the backup camera feed without putting it in reverse, and the trailer backup camera is really handy sometimes for changing lanes. Makes it really easy to see if that person in the next lane is a bit in front of the trailer's back bumper or a few feet behind it.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 09:26 AM   #31

We have the ETI supplied wireless camera and we're very satisfied with its operation. What we find especially useful is the audible function. There's a microphone in the camera, so that the driver can clearly hear what the person giving backing-up directions is saying.
cvanzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 09:56 AM   #32
P&L

Trailer: Escape 19 2015
Before Escape offered it as an option, we purchased a wireless back up camera from Tadi Bros. and ETI installed it for us. Had a lot of problems likely because of the extra insulation, but with BEST BUY's help, and getting an extension, it works great.We bought a GPS for my husband's truck years ago and they attached the camera to that monitor. I can see our bikes on the back, but mostly, when driving in busy cities, it makes it easy to merge into neighboring lanes. I would do it again.

Lorna
P&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 07:02 PM   #33

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
We use ours all the time (full-timers). It's great when passing a slow vehicle on an upgrade, so I know when to return to the right lane, use it to see and hear Dora while she watches the bubble level on the rear of the trailer, and finally, to look for obstacles when backing into a site.

Regards,

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 05:45 AM   #34

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
What brand of back up camera is ETI installing these days?
Comments?
Thanks,

Tom
Old 09-23-2017, 09:52 AM   #35

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
What brand of back up camera is ETI installing these days?
Comments?
Thanks,

Tom
AFAIK they are still installing the same one as on our Dec 2017 model

see post #8 on this same thread for my comments and info

here is a link

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...tml#post193583
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 11:00 AM   #36

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
I bought a wired RVS system and shipped it to ETI while my 5.0 was under construction. They put it in and ran all the trailer side wires. My local body shop ran the truck side wires. It works very well. The only problem is where to mount the monitor. Right now I am using a vent mount. Don't really like it, but there is no blank space on the dash panel and it is a little too big to sit on top.
Old 06-08-2018, 11:43 AM   #37

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Seeking updates of rearview camera

I'm a long way from ETI so having them install a system is not an option. A post from several years ago mentions mounting a fulltime wireless camera inside, aimed out the back window. It solves the power supply issue of an outside mount. Anyone tried this approach? What model of camera system?

Thank you
Quote:
Originally Posted by captmath View Post
I bought a wired RVS system and shipped it to ETI while my 5.0 was under construction. They put it in and ran all the trailer side wires. My local body shop ran the truck side wires. It works very well. The only problem is where to mount the monitor. Right now I am using a vent mount. Don't really like it, but there is no blank space on the dash panel and it is a little too big to sit on top.
gwolfe@wvi.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 11:49 AM   #38

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Call local stereo installers. They likely do cameras too.

Popular Car Audio, Stereo & Video Installation | Milwaukee, WI
Old 06-08-2018, 12:11 PM   #39

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwolfe@wvi.com View Post
I'm a long way from ETI so having them install a system is not an option. A post from several years ago mentions mounting a fulltime wireless camera inside, aimed out the back window. It solves the power supply issue of an outside mount. Anyone tried this approach? What model of camera system?

Thank you
Another option is if you have a garmin GPS is picking up the wireless camera that works with your model.
I have a Drivesmart 50 and the BC 30 wireless backup camera system works with it. It can be wired as either a backup camera or continuous on and select either GPS or camera.

True backup option would be harder as you would need to run power that is only on when backing up to the camera. I opted to wire it as always on and selected it when needed. I ended up removing it as we quickly found it was not really needed. I can see if anything other than a small motor cycle is hugging the back of the trailer and prefer to have another set of eyes watching when I back up.
While not hi res it worked fine to see what was behind us.

Or you could pick up a small backup camera and an extension cable and a wifi camera module from either Ebay or Amazon and rig up your own. Here is an example of such a system.

https://www.amazon.com/RAAYOO-Univer...=backup+camera
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/WishRing-Back.../dp/B011BDY7XA
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 12:12 PM   #40

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Great idea. Thanks for the response.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Call local stereo installers. They likely do cameras too.

Popular Car Audio, Stereo & Video Installation | Milwaukee, WI
gwolfe@wvi.com is offline   Reply With Quote